Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

5.0 vs. LSX and the world! dyno sheet comparisons!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
you mean MID 12's and its only been out a couple months.

Like i stated, The 5.0 has more power potential than even the 5.4 did in the Ford GT, and that engine has been proven to make over 1200hp without lifting a single valve cover. How much more power could you want???????
Storker or no stroker at those power levels tires are of extreme importance. 5liters of displacement is more than enough displacement, you see what the supra guys do with only 3Liters??

sure its "easier" to make more power with more displacement (i have a 533ci Ford) but it isnt necessary.
My bad, I meant MID 12s. I've always liked the turbo Supras myself. WTF.
533 Galaxy 500. At least post up a picture.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a chevy guy. I've never owned a Ford and never intend to but lets face it this new engine seems to be a homerun. But let them feel needed the poor mustang guys aside from 03n04 cobras have been smeared and laughed out of every drag strip and street sceen and parking lots since the lt1 came out. Do you not feel bad for them, what if gm was still putting 305's in our cars. we would still drive them and deep down wish for something better. Oh and nothing ever lives up to the hype it gets when it first comes out.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
My bad, I meant MID 12s. I've always liked the turbo Supras myself. WTF.
533 Galaxy 500. At least post up a picture.
not sure what my car has to do with anything but here it goes. I need to redyno it for various reasons though...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pro94lt
I'm a chevy guy. I've never owned a Ford and never intend to but lets face it this new engine seems to be a homerun. But let them feel needed the poor mustang guys aside from 03n04 cobras have been smeared and laughed out of every drag strip and street sceen and parking lots since the lt1 came out. Do you not feel bad for them, what if gm was still putting 305's in our cars. we would still drive them and deep down wish for something better. Oh and nothing ever lives up to the hype it gets when it first comes out.
i dont feel bad for them. Im always a fan of the underdog, which is why im starting to become a fan of the new Camaros.

I dont know about "smeared and laughed out of every dragstrip" but thats the kind of arrogant attitude that makes me turn around and root for those underdog Mustangs and other cars.

And these are actual numbers we're talking about here, this aint HYPE.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here ya go!

Thanks a ton man, goes to show what modern technology can do. Does the 5.0 engine use some time of adjustable cam timing system? It must have some type of variable cam timing to make peak power so high into the rpm range. Also what compression ratio does it have. Very impressive, thats not far from my setup at all. How did you make the graph btw?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Thanks a ton man, goes to show what modern technology can do. Does the 5.0 engine use some time of adjustable cam timing system? It must have some type of variable cam timing to make peak power so high into the rpm range. Also what compression ratio does it have. Very impressive, thats not far from my setup at all. How did you make the graph btw?
my brother did it on photoshop. its actually pretty easy, he uses an existing blank graph and matches your data points to it and traces it with a simple line tool thing. Anyways the 5.0 does have variable cam timing, which probably helps the torque more than the higher rpm power (it allows it to make good power at both as apposed to giving one up for the other). Also, stock 5.0 compression is 11:1 i believe.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Must admit that the stock 5.0 throws out a warranty backing 7000rpm redline. Pretty crazy on the charts, everything else starts dieing and the 5.0 keeps going. Thats gotta show something on the engineering end!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

They are picking up decent with bolt ons and.. surprisingly.. a tune.

However, do not expect huge gains from heads, and normal to less than normal gains from cams.

You will never see a 500 rwhp N/A 5.0 unless the peak power is over 7500 rpms. You certainly wouldn't see it on a street car. I'm not sure if that's within the intake manifold's range and there's nothing on the market for that yet.

So what we'll see is bolt-on & tuned 5.0's with sticky tires and nitrous. 10 second street cars. that's the wall then it's going to take a major effort to get over that hurdle. Not unlike our LS1s.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

I can't believe I just read all of this crap.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
High 12's is really good for a Mustang. It could have been better. I'm not cutting FORD any slack for keeping the C.I. down.

I never said there were problems or will be, but if you push any engine you will find the oiling and airflow limits. You can bet that is a fact. I'm simply curious what the limits might be for that engine. Is that an unfair question?
I have found it easier to make more power with more cubes. You will too if you ever put a stroker in one of those engines. Its just a simple matter of more air pumped through.

What is the RPM limit w/respect to max intake effectiveness and oiling since you claim its know its limits and have stated its "nowwhere near maxed out".
I see what you did there, you turned what you said as a statement then went on to tell me later that you were curious? you said it won't respond to bolt on's so "matter of factly" and since when is 12.5-12.6 high 12's?

You said there "must be intake and oiling problems" don't you think they thought of that? heard of the piston cooling jet's that are pointed right at each piston/rod?

"Are there timeslips for these cars STOCK and MODIFIED with no power adders?" the have been around for a while now. 12.3 with nothing but a tire.
they respond to mods great contrary to your belief.

and yes of course it's easier to make power on a bigger engine, that doesn't mean all else will be left behind as the 5.0 has proven.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black

However, do not expect huge gains from heads, and normal to less than normal gains from cams.

You will never see a 500 rwhp N/A 5.0 unless the peak power is over 7500 rpms. You certainly wouldn't see it on a street car. I'm not sure if that's within the intake manifold's range and there's nothing on the market for that yet.

So what we'll see is bolt-on & tuned 5.0's with sticky tires and nitrous. 10 second street cars. that's the wall then it's going to take a major effort to get over that hurdle. Not unlike our LS1s.
why shoot yourself in the foot and force yourself to build an N/A engine when you can just boost it????

since you dont even know the cam specs on the stock 5.0, what authority do you have dictating what kind of gains it will have with cams???
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I can't believe I just read all of this crap.
its information, not crap.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice graphs. That is cool information. I would rock a 5.0L any day of the week. Wish I was rich and could buy a 2011 SS and a 2011 GT.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

why dont we just overlay a ls7 over the 5.0 since its still physically lighter and smaller then the 5.0? Or would that be unfair? I mean its still old pushrod technology....

So sick of mustang nut swingers on this site thinking the 5.0 is the second coming. Makes me wonder are there that many LSX nut swingers on mustang sites?? Comparing the 5.0 to an ls1 from 97, an ls6 from 2002 with a engine released from 2010. Wow so your saying a twin cam 32valve 5 liter engine made more horsepower then a 2002 ls6? WOW!! CONGRATS ON THAT HUGE....VICTORY? All that new technology in the 5.0 and your proud of beating engines from 10 years ago, never mind the **** ford was putting out at the time.

So are we arguing that the 5.0 can make more horsepower per liter? Great if you wanna argue that go find some ******* honda civic forums and they'll be more then happy to take that debate on with you. The s2000 makes 120 horsepower per liter dawg!! its the king!

DOCH = better power per displacement.
DOCH = larger and heavier engines.

OHV = Less power per displacement (while meeting emissions)
OHV = Smaller lighter more compact engines.

Now lets compare the newer lsx generations to the newest ford engine. The LS7 capable of over 600-650 rwhp with head cam work. I dont care if it has 7 liters, its the same size as an ls1 on the outside. Fords problem the already huge 5.0 is at its max bore and stroke. Not even a fair comparison so lets just "forget" about the ls7.

How about the ls3 vs 5.0. From the factory about the same amount of power. Will probably pick up similar gains from bolt ons, though bolt ons should favor the larger displacement ls3. Honestly right now i dont believe many dyno numbers from 5.0's right now becuse i believe there is too much money to be made on new aftermarket parts and dynos are easy to manipulate. Not saying what it will or wont do but im waiting for a larger sample of more independent dynos.

After bolt ons stage i think its fair to say the ls3 easily walks away from the 5.0. Your not going to be seeing 500 rwhp 5.0's with just bolt ons and cam swaps like the ls3.

So how about we just agree that the 5.0 and ls3 bone factory stock are close enough that it doesnt ******* matter. Once heavy modding starts that all changes. Lets also drop the "well the ls3 has 1.2 liters more!!!" bull ****. When you have DOHC 32v varible vagina timing you give up room for displacement in lieu of technology. make the best of it.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Why are you so angry sir? and why all the denial "I don't believe" you're going to have to accept it sometime.
How one can be mad at an engine is beyond my comprehension

5.0 = pissed off GM owners
Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol... first i dont get angry at an engine. second im not angry. Thirdly who is in denial? If you believe such dynos as 395 rwhp stock 5.0's you need to think who is the one in denial. do you have any reading comprehension? 5.0 = gonna be a lot of disappointed people who were told it was the second coming of christ and nothing can touch. personally i do like the new 5.0 engine but its far from amazing. Its all the nut swinging that turns the stomach.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black

damn you treed me...these were my thoughts too...

I thought I read these come with ewp and shorty style headers from the factory...makes good power though...

want to see another killer setup check out the new BMW liter bike
Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock 5.0 vs LS6 LOL

I just saw this. LOL at what? My stock 2002 ran 11.8s w/tire.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
lol... first i dont get angry at an engine. second im not angry. Thirdly who is in denial? If you believe such dynos as 395 rwhp stock 5.0's you need to think who is the one in denial. do you have any reading comprehension? 5.0 = gonna be a lot of disappointed people who were told it was the second coming of christ and nothing can touch. personally i do like the new 5.0 engine but its far from amazing. Its all the nut swinging that turns the stomach.
Since you are so well educated about the 5.0 engine can you tell us some of it's drawbacks? I am trying to get more info on it and you seem like you do know alot about it, care to share your knowledge? is it inside information?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 PM
9 Second Club

MauriSSio- That is one awesome picture!

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs. LSX and the world! dyno sheet comparisons!