Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

i have never been more disappointed with a car in my life

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the jester 812
yeah, i'm not giving up, this was her first time out in about a year and a half, so im used to not driving her. it was just a huge let down. i also feel pretty stupid for trying to save a few dollars after dropping 5-7k in the engine.

shawn, should i call,pm, email, or what? i know i need a new cam now, and would like to have you guys have a crack at it. i read that thread about the amazing job you did for that one member, cant remember his name, something like WMK or something. lol
send me an email with everything you can tell me about the engine and car.This will help figure out of there is more than one issue.The more detailed the better.

shawnm@vaspeed.com
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WKMCD, lol i was close, i read the thread about his vette. so if i get the right cam in this setup, will i get up around 500whp, that was my whole goal for this engine.
I'd like to see the car and tune the way it is, with the cam that's in it.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

WKMCD, lol i was close, i read the thread about his vette. so if i get the right cam in this setup, will i get up around 500whp, that was my whole goal for this engine.
Everyone wants to be like Kevin...

Shawn and Ed will get you straight. I'm sure Ed will want to see how much advance they were able to run. IMHO: The L92 heads like 28-30 degrees of timing up top.

BTW: Chris - 2C5S - made 500RWHP running a 232-234 112 cam. It may have been a fluke but there it is.

BTW2: Don't even think about the giant cam. It's definitely the wrong cam for the L92 heads.

Last edited by WKMCD; 08-09-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can see from the average L92 set-ups and the actual and set-ups your numbers are definitely on the low side. Their may be more info in the other pages of the 408 thread...

One of the set-ups from the 400ci sticky...check the cam specks
L92 heads, L76 intake, 239/246 .600 lift 114 lsa, Nick Williams TB, Ram powergrip HD, Stock cat back. 505 HP 477 TQ through the cutout..

Last edited by ExceSSive; 08-09-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I didnt read through every post, but look at the name of the dyno, take a deep breath, spend $50 to dyno elsewhere. Dyno dynamics are great for tuning, but they read low. Your 400whp would be 440-460 on a dynojet and then drive from there to a dynapac (hub dyno) and add another 10%...

i've never seen a dyno dynamics read lower than a dynojet.The one in question always reads about 20hp more than ours.
if that's the truth then the guys over at the DD are scaling their dyno graphs. CTRL+X = any correction you want on those dynos (not available on the newest model DD). At the bar screen, it'll tell you in one of the corners the correction factor. If its not scaled, then something is up with your dynojet. I've seen people all the time drive from a DD to a dynojet and gain 10-20% from the dyno and even much more on a hub dyno.

A perfect example is a new STI... Check out a dynodynamics dyno run stock (08 STI)... its around 228whp (300BHP). Yet perrin performance (hub style dyno) shows 287whp as their stock dyno run (300BHP). Both are new off the show room floor. Yes its AWD so its a little different, but you're talking 30% between 2 dynos on a bone stock car. Pretend its 1/2 that in this case... and dudes making 450-460whp instead of 400 and not feeling so bad. Probably still not where he wants to be, but much closer (trying ot make up 20-40whp instead of 100+). That and what dyno is his desired # coming from? Dynojet? Engine Dyno? Hub Dyno? Makes all the difference when you're playing the # game. That's why its best to do a before/after on the same dyno as the % of gain is there no matter how its scaled or how the dyno reads or etc (as long as before/after are scaled the same amount).

Last edited by RS777; 08-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

regardless of the dyno reading, the fact remains that he hardly pulled a stock v with his setup. right now that's the only real world comparison we can make, all of the dyno talk is senseless. everyone knows his car should destroy most of what he encounters, especially a stock, 4door caddy.

it always sucks to invest a ton of time and money into something, only to be disappointed. stick with it, the fun in wrenching and racing is improvement, so in my eyes you've got your work cut out for you.

also, how did you get 11.4:1 compression from a -3cc piston and l92 heads?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS777
I didnt read through every post, but look at the name of the dyno, take a deep breath, spend $50 to dyno elsewhere. Dyno dynamics are great for tuning, but they read low. Your 400whp would be 440-460 on a dynojet and then drive from there to a dynapac (hub dyno) and add another 10%...

if that's the truth then the guys over at the DD are scaling their dyno graphs. CTRL+X = any correction you want on those dynos (not available on the newest model DD). At the bar screen, it'll tell you in one of the corners the correction factor. If its not scaled, then something is up with your dynojet. I've seen people all the time drive from a DD to a dynojet and gain 10-20% from the dyno and even much more on a hub dyno.

A perfect example is a new STI... Check out a dynodynamics dyno run stock (08 STI)... its around 228whp (300BHP). Yet perrin performance (hub style dyno) shows 287whp as their stock dyno run (300BHP). Both are new off the show room floor. Yes its AWD so its a little different, but you're talking 30% between 2 dynos on a bone stock car. Pretend its 1/2 that in this case... and dudes making 450-460whp instead of 400 and not feeling so bad. Probably still not where he wants to be, but much closer (trying ot make up 20-40whp instead of 100+). That and what dyno is his desired # coming from? Dynojet? Engine Dyno? Hub Dyno? Makes all the difference when you're playing the # game. That's why its best to do a before/after on the same dyno as the % of gain is there no matter how its scaled or how the dyno reads or etc (as long as before/after are scaled the same amount).
Great idea. Spend more $ to get inflated numbers from another dyno and still not have it run right.

This "numbers game" that people play really drives me nuts. I have the newer Dyno Dynamics digital unit (~1 yr old). When compared to manufacturers rated flywheel horsepower it seems to be pretty accurate. For example, a bone stock 2009 LS3 Corvette 6pd that I ran this past Saturday. What would you expect the LS3 to make at the rear wheels with a 10-15% drivetrain loss? I think it would've snuck over the 375 mark had I not cut the run short (see attachment). The sharp downward movement around 6000rpm is from decel happening prior to me stopping the plot.

OP- Good luck with the car. It looks like there are some able people around here to help you out. The only numbers to chase are ETs.
Attached Thumbnails i have never been more disappointed with a car in my life-09-vette.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 491 Likes on 343 Posts

i picked my car up from the dyno today and found out it only put 413.9whp, and 400wtq. they had a whole bunch of reasons or excuses, and I'm not blaming them, they did their job. they said that my DR's were getting hot and slipping, and he showed me the huge pile of rubber that came off the tires. it seems like an excuse for my poorly performing car. (sigh) my car sucks.
it started off good, it was making over 325wtq at 2k rpms, but then only rose to 400wtq at 3800. 413.9whp at 6100rpm's
I have personally witnessed a 500rwhp car dyno less than 350 rwhp on a different dyno because of wheelspin. The cause was obvious, as the tires were greasy, the wheelwells were full of rubber, and the dyno rollers were glazed. The car still ran exactly the same on the street, however. How does your car run on the road?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xBRadX
Great idea. Spend more $ to get inflated numbers from another dyno and still not have it run right.
No genius, my point was that when you read the thread title "I've never been more disappointed in a car in my life" then it says:

i picked my car up from the dyno today and found out it only put 413.9whp, and 400wtq. they had a whole bunch of reasons or excuses, and I'm not blaming them, they did their job. they said that my DR's were getting hot and slipping, and he showed me the huge pile of rubber that came off the tires. it seems like an excuse for my poorly performing car. (sigh) my car sucks.
it started off good, it was making over 325wtq at 2k rpms, but then only rose to 400wtq at 3800. 413.9whp at 6100rpm's
He is basing his horrible experience off his low read # (and the shop and parts and similar off of the dyno #s). This happens nearly to EVERYONE who dynos on a dyno dynamics then compares to other cars that didn't (even 10% lower is 40whp). My simple point, which I guess you missed, was that maybe he should re-dyno on something that is more comparable to what he was expecting (and with a crew that isn't letting the tires slip... that could be ALL his missing hp right there, not a poorly running vehicle). Whereas his 413whp would be more like 450-460whp and even though that may still be low, I bet the title wouldn't be "I have never been more disappointed with a car in my life", but more along the lines "I am missing 30-50whp" not 100, but maybe spending $40-50 for a re-dyno is stupid compared to having to spend shop rate to find a problem that may not exist.

Like everyone else has said, track times are what matters, but I am trying to help the guy know that if he wants the #, dyno elsewhere. That's all... because people are basing his "problem" off of low dyno #s (and there's even wheel spin/etc in the mix)...

I have the newer Dyno Dynamics digital unit (~1 yr old). When compared to manufacturers rated flywheel horsepower it seems to be pretty accurate ... I think it would've snuck over the 375 mark had I not cut the run short
And please don't start with this... this is what EVERY low reading dyno owner says. That's not the point. The point is, if you have a 400whp car that reads 400whp on your dyno, 440whp on a dynojet and 460-470whp on a dynapac and you're playing the # game, you're going to be disappointed no matter how "accurate" the # is, because your buddies who dynoed on the dynojet or dynapac are all gonna have the "bigger wiener" cause their # is higher and you have threads like this where people are wondering where their missing hp is (when they aren't missing any).

So in a sense I am agreeing with you as the # game is stupid, again I am just helping him understand why his #s may be low (reality being its probably ALL in the crew letting the tires slip, so back to my main point, dyno elsewhere).

Last edited by RS777; 08-12-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
regardless of the dyno reading, the fact remains that he hardly pulled a stock v with his setup. right now that's the only real world comparison we can make, all of the dyno talk is senseless. everyone knows his car should destroy most of what he encounters, especially a stock, 4door caddy.
ouch!! So the 413rwhp seems on par...All the dyno talking is useless here. Its the setup..
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
ouch!! So the 413rwhp seems on par...All the dyno talking is useless here. Its the setup..
I tend to agree. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Your cam stinks! Not gunna say it's your entire problem,but it is one. Pat G did me a custom gring for my l92's and I had a nice gain over the other two cam's i had. It is no where near your cam spec and i'm sure it's set up way different. My 402ci made 530hp w/l92 heads in a m6 car. Also,my 346ci made 463hp and ran 11.1 n/a in a 3,700lbs car.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

What did the car run in the 1/4 mile...

Dyno numbers don't mean much, I've been watching a 365rwhp 3rd gen, LS1 swap run 11.8's in the heat and humidity.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC&97TA
What did the car run in the 1/4 mile...

Dyno numbers don't mean much, I've been watching a 365rwhp 3rd gen, LS1 swap run 11.8's in the heat and humidity.
yea I wonder why.. maybe because its a lot lighter and does a better job of getting the power to the ground
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 AM
11 Second Club

Forget dyno numbers. My trans am put down 354/346 and ripped high 11s at stock weight! Use the real world info provided (run with the v). In my opinion get some ets and let the guys at vs look over it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Any updates to this? End up with a new cam or ?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have noticed the last 3-4 posts by Virg Speed and can not agree more. People get stuck on dur@050 numbers and then they are screwed.
A good starting place to look for one is at Comp Cam's who has quite an assortment of cams for those heads.

I too am interested how this came out...

Quick Reply: i have never been more disappointed with a car in my life