Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TSP Texas Giant to EPS custom spec Cam Swap Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shane is saying that they shim the rocker stands enough to get the proper geometry. That way you can use them.

But either way, we have stock, or the Yella Terra or Scorpions on hand and ready to go!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
Shane is saying that they shim the rocker stands enough to get the proper geometry. That way you can use them.

But either way, we have stock, or the Yella Terra or Scorpions on hand and ready to go!
Pm me a price on YT's... aren't the scorpions basically the same as Hs's?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant speak on the scorpions but I do know of a few YT failures in the past few months. There have been a few cases posted on this site recently.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RJB01camaross
I cant speak on the scorpions but I do know of a few YT failures in the past few months. There have been a few cases posted on this site recently.
I am aware of them, HS had a run of bearing failures also... Nothing is perfect.

I am going to give the YT's a try.

Stock rockers with fulcrum upgrades, the tr kit, and new pushrods will cost more at this point, and I still have to ask mike at TEA if that is a reliable route to go.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine with the YT's. I'd go that route if its cheaper. The HS's are a quality piece but much to heavy over the tip...

Shane
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Both cams are peaking lower than they should. I see valve float in both graphs. I know people keep saying HS rockers... I am seeing the same thing. I've had no luck with them with cams that aggressive. Those cams should peak somewhere between 6150 and 6400. Some dynos smooth things out so much on the graph its hard to spot. The power peak and the way it falls just after 5800 are the tell-tale signs.

I'd go to stock rockers. Just my .02...

Shane
glad to see someone agrees with me on the HS rockers
Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice.. I am going to get some YT's and see if it solves all that is wrong in the world.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Both cams are peaking lower than they should. I see valve float in both graphs. I know people keep saying HS rockers... I am seeing the same thing. I've had no luck with them with cams that aggressive. Those cams should peak somewhere between 6150 and 6400. Some dynos smooth things out so much on the graph its hard to spot. The power peak and the way it falls just after 5800 are the tell-tale signs.

I'd go to stock rockers. Just my .02...

Shane
I agree. The graph shows it but not pronounced. If it was a non load dyno it would drop faster.We had alot of problems with the HS rockers back in the day. Now alot of TFS heads get stock rockers shimmed correctly like Shane sells above.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get em' fixed them post back up the before and after (overlayed if they can figure out how to do it)...it would be good to info to see what that does to your problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

How old were those springs again?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999vetteroo
How old were those springs again?
Practically new.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At the advice of Geoff, I am going to dyno it on a dynojet and see where its at.. This dyno was a Dynapack.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am not really sure as that move is advisable. You can tell what the problem is and there are so many people pointing to the same direction. It seems like that would be more money and time that would not produce a return.

You are looking to probably go to the dynojet (unloaded)because the loaded dyno did not produce the numbers you wanted or what? It will show higher HP but the problem will still be there. It will still show the numbers peaking way too early. The curve will not change. You should use a dyno as a tool. Right here, it is pointing to what is wrong.

Fix it first, then redyno it.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
I am not really sure as that move is advisable. You can tell what the problem is and there are so many people pointing to the same direction. It seems like that would be more money and time that would not produce a return.

You are looking to probably go to the dynojet (unloaded)because the loaded dyno did not produce the numbers you wanted or what? It will show higher HP but the problem will still be there. It will still show the numbers peaking way too early. The curve will not change. You should use a dyno as a tool. Right here, it is pointing to what is wrong.

Fix it first, then redyno it.

Nope not looking for numbers, looking to see if the two problems geoff sees is a dyno phenom or car issue.

I am replacing the rockers.. just dont know with what yet.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the eps cam hold power nicely...even with the possible valvetrain geometry off look at both values at 6750...

old cam is around 475rwhp
eps cam is around 510rwhp
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

In the original post before you edited it, you said something about changing something in the induction and the car picked up around 15 HP. What was it that you changed? Did the graph carry out better after it was done?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
In the original post before you edited it, you said something about changing something in the induction and the car picked up around 15 HP. What was it that you changed? Did the graph carry out better after it was done?
Since it is tuned SD, we still had the 85mm Maf in the car, but only for IAT readings.

We removed that, removed the foam seal on the vararam, and massaged out a small kink in the air intake lid.

We gained 13rwhp from the 505 with those move's, the rest we gained by dropping the AFR to 12.0-to 12.2 from 12.8
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Everyone talks about the HS rockers being too heavy over the tip. Has anyone used the adjustable HS rockers for LS motors. I have a set that I have had for almost 4 years with out using them (going in a motor for a car that is not done yet). With the adjuster being over the push rod, I'd care to guess they are of a little better balance. I was thinking about doing a stock rocker till I got it dialed, then switch over to the adjustable, then I could play with preloads a little and see what actually worked best for my application since there is some different thoughts on preload.

Just food for thought.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

That's a nice gain for just lining out what you already had on the car! Makes you think how many other cars might have little details that could pick up that kind of numbers. Did you notice if it made a difference in way it carried the power out at all?

Jon

Originally Posted by nysbadmk8
Since it is tuned SD, we still had the 85mm Maf in the car, but only for IAT readings.

We removed that, removed the foam seal on the vararam, and massaged out a small kink in the air intake lid.

We gained 13rwhp from the 505 with those move's, the rest we gained by dropping the AFR to 12.0-to 12.2 from 12.8
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
That's a nice gain for just lining out what you already had on the car! Makes you think how many other cars might have little details that could pick up that kind of numbers. Did you notice if it made a difference in way it carried the power out at all?

Jon
Nope.. just gained 15 rwhp from 5800 to redline..

Quick Reply: TSP Texas Giant to EPS custom spec Cam Swap Results