Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dip in dynograph.....Input?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip in dynograph.....Input?

Im hoping someone can maybe give me some insight here. I got my setup tuned/dynoed. My buddy that does all the tuning in town tuned it and he is very good/experienced so I know the tune is out of the question. The car made good power, runs good, but for the size of the cam it seems to just not pull high and has a pretty aggressive dip at around 6500rpm. Heres some info.

L92 stock bottom end
AFR 225s unmilled with their upgraded dual springs
242/248, lift is in the low 600s on a 112.
Kooks 1 7/8
FAST 102
42lb injectors
NW 102
Dual 3" exhaust
Speed density tuned

489/434

Heres a pic of the graph

Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have any KR on the datalogger through the pull?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

none.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know that it is not a part of the possible problem, but what smoothing factor was used?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That dip is very common with smaller engines (under 400 CID) and 1.875 tube headers (which normally have shorter primary lengths).

You may be able to tune some of it out playing with timing and A/F ratio's (note your A/F curve in the same area of the dip) but honestly its almost impossible to remove.....you can only minimize it.

Cam selection will also slightly effect it as well....

Keep your eye out for other 346 - 383 CID engines with 1.875 headers....you will see a very similar trend.

Hope this helps

-Tony
Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks tony. Ill try to get the full cam specs. The cam was actually just something off the shelf really. Ive had smaller cube motors with smaller cams that seemed to pull further than this thats why it concerns me.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

The dip in a/f ... and where is the timing at there ? less/more then 6250 ?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
That dip is very common with smaller engines (under 400 CID) and 1.875 tube headers (which normally have shorter primary lengths).

You may be able to tune some of it out playing with timing and A/F ratio's (note your A/F curve in the same area of the dip) but honestly its almost impossible to remove.....you can only minimize it.

Cam selection will also slightly effect it as well....

Keep your eye out for other 346 - 383 CID engines with 1.875 headers....you will see a very similar trend.

Hope this helps

-Tony
How does the 1 7/8 headers affect smaller cube motors? I also checked and the lift is .610/.615. Dont have the cam card so Im not sure the ICL and such.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by JetVette
How does the 1 7/8 headers affect smaller cube motors? I also checked and the lift is .610/.615. Dont have the cam card so Im not sure the ICL and such.
The nature of that header tube length and diameter (dealing with wave tuning, scavenging, etc.) always creates that dip you see around 4K.

Take the time to look at other smaller engine cars with 1.875 headers on them.

You will see right away what Im discussing here.

The bigger motors are flat in that area (usually) and then ramp up to torque peak. They aren't as sensitive to that tube size and length.

A 1.75 tube has a dip in the 3200 range and is exploding at 4k (like an inverted sine wave when you see both headers on the same engine), but....the 1.875 will usually hang the torque and power curve out further netting more power which is why you go with the bigger tube in the first place.

Just like cams, big and small headers will always have strengths and trade-offs.

Hi Performance engine building is ALL about managing the trade-offs when you really break it down. Designing a package or combination to benefit from as many of the "upsides" as you can while minimizing the trade-offs and doing so in such a way the engine in question is optimized for you particular application and driving style....making these decisions much more personal.

-Tony
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the compresstion of the engine with the unmilled AFR?
AFR 225 comes 72cc right Tony?
What transmission and rearend do you have??

Good numbers IMO Congrats.

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
I know that it is not a part of the possible problem, but what smoothing factor was used?

Looks like smoothing 5 when I saw the graph I thought it would be 0 or the car is a lot of KR.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

The nature of that header tube length and diameter (dealing with wave tuning, scavenging, etc.) always creates that dip you see around 4K.

Take the time to look at other smaller engine cars with 1.875 headers on them.

You will see right away what Im discussing here.

The bigger motors are flat in that area (usually) and then ramp up to torque peak. They aren't as sensitive to that tube size and length.

A 1.75 tube has a dip in the 3200 range and is exploding at 4k (like an inverted sine wave when you see both headers on the same engine), but....the 1.875 will usually hang the torque and power curve out further netting more power which is why you go with the bigger tube in the first place.

Just like cams, big and small headers will always have strengths and trade-offs.

Hi Performance engine building is ALL about managing the trade-offs when you really break it down. Designing a package or combination to benefit from as many of the "upsides" as you can while minimizing the trade-offs and doing so in such a way the engine in question is optimized for you particular application and driving style....making these decisions much more personal.

-Tony
I see what ur saying. So would a 2" header have a dip say around 4800rpm or so or will it be too big for that motor and have a deinite tq decrease across the board? From the looks by the graph does it look like it could benefit from a better spring? One other thing is Im using a 7.4 pushrod which barely preloads the lifter. Theres no excessive valvetrain noise either. I thought having less preload would allow it to pull a little harder up top? I just dont fully understand why with that size cam, heads, etc its dipping that hard that early.

Originally Posted by venom ws7
whats the compresstion of the engine with the unmilled AFR?
AFR 225 comes 72cc right Tony?
What transmission and rearend do you have??

Good numbers IMO Congrats.

Looks like smoothing 5 when I saw the graph I thought it would be 0 or the car is a lot of KR.
running through an m6 and 10 bolt currently.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by JetVette
I see what ur saying. So would a 2" header have a dip say around 4800rpm or so or will it be too big for that motor and have a deinite tq decrease across the board? From the looks by the graph does it look like it could benefit from a better spring? One other thing is Im using a 7.4 pushrod which barely preloads the lifter. Theres no excessive valvetrain noise either. I thought having less preload would allow it to pull a little harder up top? I just dont fully understand why with that size cam, heads, etc its dipping that hard that early.

running through an m6 and 10 bolt currently.
2" header is out of the question....how thick are your head gaskets?

You realize you have very low compression right?

A lighter valve may have helped....I recommend it to everyone that wants to buzz them pretty good.

Are the heads new....do you know what shape the springs are in? You could shim them higher for more pressure....also what lifters are you using....cheap lifters could be bleeding down.

Lots of situations could cause what your looking at.

What rockers as well?

I assume the FAST isn't ported?

-Tony
Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

2" header is out of the question....how thick are your head gaskets?

You realize you have very low compression right?

A lighter valve may have helped....I recommend it to everyone that wants to buzz them pretty good.

Are the heads new....do you know what shape the springs are in? You could shim them higher for more pressure....also what lifters are you using....cheap lifters could be bleeding down.

Lots of situations could cause what your looking at.

What rockers as well?

I assume the FAST isn't ported?

-Tony
Yes I do realize the compression is low. Using the 5 layer MLS head gaskets, stock lifters, rockers, untouched FAST.

Quick Reply: Dip in dynograph.....Input?