Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TR230/243 Dyno results. track results

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the cam for really cheap and always had a lot of inerest in it.

Also I wasn't out to set any records. Just a nice daily driver with great driveability and good power under the curve. I may do a cam swap again down the road but I figured this would be a good starter cam. I'm happy with the cam results and LOVE the way it pulls.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'll post up track results as soon as I go within the next few months.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice numbers !! time for the track numbers..
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I definitely see where you are coming from Damian, and meant no disrespect in my replies. I am not an expert at all but I love to learn.

In fact the reason I chose my cam was because at the time I had the ls1 intake, and had no intention of getting a ls6 or better for a LONG time. But the bug hit and while searching for a ls6 intake I stumbled across a great deal on the fast instead.

My next cam will definitely be a normal split in mid-high 230s with a little more lift.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Nobody said a FAST intake won't "make" power. But this whole internet phenomenon of "just throw a FAST on it" every time a car posts up sub-par #'s is a crock. That seems to be the only mindless solution these internet mechanics can come up with these days....."Hey man, your #'s are low. Just go spend $1000+ on an intake".

How about optimizing the combination? Thanks to the internet, this philosophy has pretty much become extinct.

FWIW, the TR230 was developed 10 years ago as a way to crutch the engine for the lack of intake flow we suffered w/ the LS1 intakes (before LS6 intakes were readily accessible). The valve events are not designed for a ton of air flowing through the intake. It's the opposite, actually. Thanks to TR's marketing team over the years, this cam has been splattered on the internet as a great way to make power with any combination. However that isn't the case. It's a great way to make power if you don't have a good intake. If you've got an LS6 intake (or better), there are much better cams out there.

/Soap box mode disengaged.

Damian, what do you suggest for optimizing that combo?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Numbers seem low... but I wouldnt get to hung up on it until you see what the car traps.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say make a trip down here to HRP and make a pass, the car will love the air down here =). I'd say it should trap atleast 117+ in Vegas though.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think I'll trap 117+

I know these aren't track results but I raced my buddy's R6 today a bunch of times. From a dig he ripped me every time. But from 50 roll and 60 roll he only pulled 2 bike lengths on me.
From a 30 roll I pulled him half a length.

His fastest pass at the track was an 11.003 lol so my car is making some good power under the curve
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

spray it.....problem fixed Dats what I do
Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Damian, what do you suggest for optimizing that combo?
The best thing you can do for a reverse split is have a KICK *** exhaust setup that is VERY free flowing. I had a TR230 car come in my shop last year wondering why his car only made 370hp (stock heads). The car had a catted Ypipe, and running through a magnaflow muffler. We took the cats off, put a flowmaster merge and cutout on it. The car picked up 30rwhp.

Free flowing exhaust makes a major difference on reverse split cams.

To the OP, I wasn't trying to rip on you or your cam. The TR230 is a good cam. I would highly suggest a high velocity flowmaster merge for your setup. It DOES make a difference, partially because the Pacesetter merge sucks so bad. It's a cheap way to pick up a few ponies and kill most of the drone/rasp. They're only $39.99 from Summit, and most muffler shops are in the $65 range to install them. Well worth every penny, and will open up your exhaust some. Let us know how she runs @ the track.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:39 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks damian! I was actually looking at flow master merges. I will probably get one soon then. I didn't want to do everything at once. Then once I get bored I wouldn't have anything semi cheap left to do.

I'll keep you guys posted with track results and update as a make little mods. Looks like my next mod will be sub frames, then the flow master merge
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypryan
Thanks damian! I was actually looking at flow master merges. I will probably get one soon then. I didn't want to do everything at once. Then once I get bored I wouldn't have anything semi cheap left to do.

I'll keep you guys posted with track results and update as a make little mods. Looks like my next mod will be sub frames, then the flow master merge
Sounds good. The merge is worth every penny, so keep it in mind.

Definitely put SFC's on the car too. Your frame will thank you in a couple of years.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Even with duals my car picks up between .15 and .2 and nearly 2 full mph at the track with both cutouts open.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
The best thing you can do for a reverse split is have a KICK *** exhaust setup that is VERY free flowing. I had a TR230 car come in my shop last year wondering why his car only made 370hp (stock heads). The car had a catted Ypipe, and running through a magnaflow muffler. We took the cats off, put a flowmaster merge and cutout on it. The car picked up 30rwhp.

Free flowing exhaust makes a major difference on reverse split cams.

To the OP, I wasn't trying to rip on you or your cam. The TR230 is a good cam. I would highly suggest a high velocity flowmaster merge for your setup. It DOES make a difference, partially because the Pacesetter merge sucks so bad. It's a cheap way to pick up a few ponies and kill most of the drone/rasp. They're only $39.99 from Summit, and most muffler shops are in the $65 range to install them. Well worth every penny, and will open up your exhaust some. Let us know how she runs @ the track.

Damian, definitely need a better exhaust. I run the old MTI X1 230/227 and i plan on getting rid of my off road y and catback for duals. Damian, the reverse splits are very good cams especially for one who just wants something to drive around and have fun for a bit of light to light. Ive seen sick graphs of reverse splits. I have also seen guys run even faster with heads, and fast intakes also. I have been running my X1 for the last 2-3 years and have no regrets. I want to see how much better it does with heads, fast, and a bigger stall.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caseypryan
I don't think I'll trap 117+

I know these aren't track results but I raced my buddy's R6 today a bunch of times. From a dig he ripped me every time. But from 50 roll and 60 roll he only pulled 2 bike lengths on me.
From a 30 roll I pulled him half a length.

His fastest pass at the track was an 11.003 lol so my car is making some good power under the curve
Hmm I guess the DA makes that much of a difference, my old 98-Z28 T-56 would trap 113+ With just True duals/Long Tubes and Lid and that was with no tune.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

The air out here in garbage. Here's a video of the dyno day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTKa...os=SO67xYwkmdA
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the TR230, LS6 Intake, Kooks LT's, stock heads, through a ORY and a Magnaflow catback and it put down 375/360 just for comparrison. The tq curve on it is wicked though and it feels quick on the street!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Damian, definitely need a better exhaust. I run the old MTI X1 230/227 and i plan on getting rid of my off road y and catback for duals. Damian, the reverse splits are very good cams especially for one who just wants something to drive around and have fun for a bit of light to light. Ive seen sick graphs of reverse splits. I have also seen guys run even faster with heads, and fast intakes also. I have been running my X1 for the last 2-3 years and have no regrets. I want to see how much better it does with heads, fast, and a bigger stall.
dont you think spending money on heads and a fast with that cam is a waste? your gonna have to run open headers to see a reasonable gain from them. now i say reasonable because your obviously gonna pick up some power. but i dont see the logic in that part combo, and you won't see a $2500 hp increase from those parts.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

My reverse split sucks also.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
dont you think spending money on heads and a fast with that cam is a waste? your gonna have to run open headers to see a reasonable gain from them. now i say reasonable because your obviously gonna pick up some power. but i dont see the logic in that part combo, and you won't see a $2500 hp increase from those parts.
Look up a member named bshell, TFS 215, TR230 and made 460rwhp!! Also ive seen a dyno of a guy with AFR 205/X1 and i think put down 450.

I had all my work done by MTI when they were up and running. There reverse split cam or the X1 that i am running is what they were putting in a good majority of customers cars that are for daily driving, and street fun cars. The customers were making 445 rwhp with this combo consistantly.

They preferred this cam over there 228/232 which is a popular size cam on this site nowadays.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JaSSon
My reverse split sucks also.
HAHAHA..it really does jasson..lol..

Quick Reply: TR230/243 Dyno results. track results