Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

**NON LSX** 2009 Cobalt SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default **NON LSX** 2009 Cobalt SS/TC

Hello,

Just wanted to share what I was able to achieve with my near mechanically stock SS/TC Sedan. No where near what my SS and GTO put down but still fun

I'm running a 1:1 mixture of E85/91 octane, 3 BAR map sensors and my own street tuning (thank god for factory WB!!). Oh and I can't forget my daughters awesome hot pink booster seat!

22lbs, 23* and running .898 lambda.

Unfortunately, the power falls off up top due to a few things:
  • Wastegate is electronically controlled by the ECU to 64-75% after a certain load/RPM.
  • Stock accordion intake hose
  • Stock dual cat downpipe.

Car is still making 297whp by 6k RPM and 281whp by 6500.

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice tq. good numbers from tuning and fuel. I would love to pick a 2dr as a DD. I had the supercharged one and it was fun. i can only imagin how much more fun the turbo one is.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

Isn't that a/f extremely lean for being a boosted car on e85?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 AM
12 Second Club

damn man that looks pretty good to me i bet it's really fun to drive. i'll be waiting for you to post up a mustang kill story
Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
no kidding.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
nice tq. good numbers from tuning and fuel. I would love to pick a 2dr as a DD. I had the supercharged one and it was fun. i can only imagin how much more fun the turbo one is.
Thanks man. The car is a blast to drive. Not only does it serve as a great DD but it's fun to surprise people as well.

Originally Posted by whitedevilWS6
damn man that looks pretty good to me i bet it's really fun to drive. i'll be waiting for you to post up a mustang kill story
Ha, thanks buddy! As I said, I really enjoy driving this car! I have quite a few mustang kills, a few LSx and some import kills as well

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Originally Posted by sergo
no kidding.
For a port fuel injected motor, yes. This car is GDI and prefers a leaner burning mixture and can get away with it due to it's innate ability to cool the intake charge. Also, the Ethanol has amazing additional cooling properties/knock suppression ability as well.

Do keep in mind that the dyno was using a sniffer at the tail pipe, after two cats. The car comes from the factory with an on board wide band and continuously runs in CL, even at WOT. It's safe.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty strong little runner for not too much money invested! Love those little LNF's.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 PM

I love the Cobalts, both the SC and TC ones. Great numbers! Do you have more planned for it or are you going to keep it where it is now?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

what size pulley and injectors are you running? clutch? what did you use to tune it?

I have an 05 redline for a DD and was planning on just doing the ZZP stage 2 kit.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

he's got a turbo one.
and these cars love lean afr's
I built a gt3076r 09 tc running 32psi on pump gas (93 octane) and 12.8:1 afr Thing was a monster for a stock 4 banger.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by black06g85
he's got a turbo one.
I built a gt3076r 09 tc running 32psi on pump gas (93 octane) and 12.8:1 afr Thing was a monster for a stock 4 banger.
gotcha. didnt notice that.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WSsick
Pretty strong little runner for not too much money invested! Love those little LNF's.
Thanks man. It's a fun little sleeper.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I love the Cobalts, both the SC and TC ones. Great numbers! Do you have more planned for it or are you going to keep it where it is now?
Thanks man. Not sure what I want to do with it... I kinda enjoy the factory feel and sound with some increased turbo/bpv noise and plenty of extra power. Not too fond of putting a clutch in it so soon either as it is rather expensive!

Originally Posted by black06g85
he's got a turbo one.
Sounds like a monster! I think I've seen you post about it before on other forums.

Originally Posted by Spectre86
gotcha. didnt notice that.
No worries man. Enjoy your LSJ, it's a great DD as well.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

At that air fuel there is no doubt that it will make more power, but the cylinder temps and egt's will rise quickly. If you're out running it, don't keep your foot in it very long or you'll be buying a piston or two. I understand the direct injection and the E85 in the mixture, but I wouldn't shoot for much higher than a .86 Lambada. Do you have an EGT gauge in the car?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zippy
At that air fuel there is no doubt that it will make more power, but the cylinder temps and egt's will rise quickly. If you're out running it, don't keep your foot in it very long or you'll be buying a piston or two. I understand the direct injection and the E85 in the mixture, but I wouldn't shoot for much higher than a .86 Lambada. Do you have an EGT gauge in the car?
ECM uses an algorithm to determine EGT's, no actual on board EGT gauge. Car stays much, much cooler based off of the calculation on E47 versus gasoline.

Car isn't seeing sustained 130+ mph blasts, ever.

You'd **** if you saw how lean GM run's them, stock and with their stage 1 update.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

has anyone put in a turbo cam in one of these things yet. in a few years these cars will be enticing with the right price.

how big is the aftermarket for them?

to the OP, it must be a fine ride...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a decent set of cams in my lsj based build, pulled to 9600 rpm made flat power up to 8600rpm before it started to dive, and that was on a reduced base circle regrind of a mild turbo cam (hks 272's)
Here's a few cars I built last year.
my car (2006 ss/sc w/60-1 m2race head etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFI3KICvQKw

2009 ss/tc on 26 psi (this pull, cam died before the 32psi run)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b27gO7uNwg

2007 cobalt ss/sc w/ hp5857 swap. stock motor, stock fuel pump, stock fuel line, stock rail, and 79lb injectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx7memhzX-I
Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before John Lingenfelter died he said the ECOTEC engine was going to be something special down the road...he was right.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by T.Man
ECM uses an algorithm to determine EGT's, no actual on board EGT gauge. Car stays much, much cooler based off of the calculation on E47 versus gasoline.

Car isn't seeing sustained 130+ mph blasts, ever.

You'd **** if you saw how lean GM run's them, stock and with their stage 1 update.
I have seen it. That's why there is so much power to be gained in tuning them. With the stock and the stage 1 tune they are a knock retarding pig. E85 is still on the edge of it's ability, but I think the manufactures are still working on the full advantages of it, but the lack of stations having it are the problem. Smaller motors with boost and E85 could possibly be future of the industry. We really need to get them to use a damn content sensor again though and get rid of this estimated content system based on fuel trim calculations.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

I'm sure you've been to Cobaltss forums. I used to post there a lot when I had my SC Cobalt. I think I ran across a thread not too long ago when some of the guys were putting out 411 ft-lb of torque with the stock turbo.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
has anyone put in a turbo cam in one of these things yet. in a few years these cars will be enticing with the right price.

how big is the aftermarket for them?

to the OP, it must be a fine ride...
Turbo cams are in development (off the shelf type) but I'm sure there are others out there who have pushed the envelope already and don't post on forums. Aftermarket is still growing but decent

To be honest, turbo cams are a waste unless you're putting a large turbo on the car that won't really make power without some serious RPM.

Originally Posted by ss454327
Before John Lingenfelter died he said the ECOTEC engine was going to be something special down the road...he was right.
Damn right!

Originally Posted by zippy
I have seen it. That's why there is so much power to be gained in tuning them. With the stock and the stage 1 tune they are a knock retarding pig. E85 is still on the edge of it's ability, but I think the manufactures are still working on the full advantages of it, but the lack of stations having it are the problem. Smaller motors with boost and E85 could possibly be future of the industry. We really need to get them to use a damn content sensor again though and get rid of this estimated content system based on fuel trim calculations.
Plenty of stations here in AZ to take advantage of. I'm especially lucky as I have one about 5 miles from my house and 1 1/2 from my work

I agree, they were brilliant in the fact they used an on-board WB but definitely need a real EGT sensor.

Originally Posted by nghisus
I'm sure you've been to Cobaltss forums. I used to post there a lot when I had my SC Cobalt. I think I ran across a thread not too long ago when some of the guys were putting out 411 ft-lb of torque with the stock turbo.
I try not to post much as it's a bit retarded over there but yes, I browse. Yea, with some proper tuning and a few bolt ons, the K04 can produce some pretty impressive numbers so long as you aren't pushing it wayyyy out of efficiency.

Quick Reply: **NON LSX** 2009 Cobalt SS/TC