Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

tsp 228r & patriot 5.3s a4 results!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That stock intake & over worked injectors is hurting ya. I dont care what was stated above about the stock intake but it will NOT pull well past 5k RPM's with a aftermarket cam & heads. I drove mine the past 60k miles with a stock intake & just recently swapped in a LS6. Made a huge difference in the way the car is pulling now in the upper RPM's.

Also double check your fuel pressure at the rails, if you have a decent amount of mileage & stock pump go order a Racetronix direct fit pump for $150. As long as your voltage checks out at the plugs for the pump you'll be fine without the hot wire harness if money is tight. I also just did this mod & can tell a difference now that the car is getting enough fuel. I'n not sure where my injectors are at yet as I'm still untuned but I will know in the next few weeks once it hits the rollers if I'm maxed as well.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone else..I made more than that with a very small 212/216 cam in my truck..with similar mods
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Launching!

alrite thanks for the responses guys im gonna save some money and get the ls6 intake what size injectors should i look into and il check the fuel pressure today and see whats up
Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run truck 31lb injectors and am at 82% IDC...IMO 42lb would be good for your setup with a little room to grow
Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Your fuel pressure should be about 50 at the rail with the key turned to "ON" and about 58psi with it at idle. Rev it even in neutral & see how much it drops. If you have a gauge you can leave hooked up & take it for a drive you'll see pressure drop under load.

You should be able to pick up a used intake for about $300 shipped, I'd suggest hitting Oriellys & buyin a set of intake gaskets as well, the Felpro kit is good & comes with new foam pads for under the intake as well.

On injectors I'd suggest some 36#, that will be plenty. I'd also suggest contacting the injector sponsor on here, he has a good selection of injectors & good pricing for brand news one as well.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Those numbers don't surprise me all that much. The LS1 engine puts down pretty good torque until about 400-425, then it's pretty much kickin' and scratchin' for much more past that. I believe your problem lies with the intake and the injectors. It makes since to me because down low (rpm wise) where torque is made, the air flow allowed by the LS1 intake is sufficient, as well as the flow of fuel by the stock injectors. However, up higher in the rpm range, the injectors and intake start to become your bottle neck and are choking off your engine's horsepower. This is why I believe you are seeing your torque numbers unaffected and your horsepower number being truncated.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CorbinLR
Those numbers don't surprise me all that much. The LS1 engine puts down pretty good torque until about 400-425, then it's pretty much kickin' and scratchin' for much more past that. I believe your problem lies with the intake and the injectors. It makes since to me because down low (rpm wise) where torque is made, the air flow allowed by the LS1 intake is sufficient, as well as the flow of fuel by the stock injectors. However, up higher in the rpm range, the injectors and intake start to become your bottle neck and are choking off your engine's horsepower. This is why I believe you are seeing your torque numbers unaffected and your horsepower number being truncated.
yea thats exactly what i was thinking sence its down on the rpm range it would flow enough so it made good torque then up top is where it choked i just wasnt sure and needed other opinions im pretty new to this stuff i did the head cam swap myself but still get lost with the other stuff
Old 05-20-2011, 03:08 AM
10 Second Club

It's the injectors/intake, possibly the fuel pump. it's not uncommon to see higher tq numbers, with short duration cams that don't see hp gain in the high rpms

Honestly if I was you, I'd jump to a FAST 9x/9x set up... I had an LS6 intake after haveing an LS1, just go big from the start. Might want to consider a 85mm maf/bigger air box, while you're at it. Feed that thing some air/fuel and work the tune out.

I was going to run a similar set up, copied from a local. he has 225 TFS heads, 228r cam, LS6 intake, PP-TB, and 42lb injectors. If I remember right he put down 448/442.

I ended up going a totall different route, but I had alot of research into it.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

To me looks like verter was unlocked.

An unlocked the verter will flash and cause a big torque spike that is a bit unrealistic so that's one reason you dyno with the converter locked to flatten the torque curve.

Quick Reply: tsp 228r & patriot 5.3s a4 results!!!