Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Gains from VENGANCE FAST 102 vs Ls6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gains from VENGANCE FAST 102 vs Ls6 intake

ok guys, i havent done any engine mods since 2006 on my WS6 it is a Edelbrock headed stock shortblock with all bolt ons and a 228 cam it made 443rwhp i dont remember the tq last time it was on the dyno years ago.

I am looking to put a FAST intake and NW TB on the car, Vengance Racing has a nice special on their ported intake/NW tb with rails and i am wondering what the gains might possibly be...

what are you guys seeing switching from a Ls6 intake and ported TB going to the FAST intake and NW TB

thanks

Last edited by thechef; 07-29-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

465-475rwhp
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vengeance ported my intake and it seems all that was done was someone ran sandpaper through the openings for $250. could of done that myself. So,i had mammo open it up and really port it. Vengeance is a great shop and i would buy from them again,just not pay for the intake porting..lol On a head and cam car,you should see 20hp
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike c.
Vengeance ported my intake and it seems all that was done was someone ran sandpaper through the openings for $250. could of done that myself. So,i had mammo open it up and really port it. Vengeance is a great shop and i would buy from them again,just not pay for the intake porting..lol On a head and cam car,you should see 20hp
I just bought a FAST 102 for my 346 motor & was going to have it ported & heard the same story about their port jobs.

I think this winter I am going to pull my TFS Heads & FAST 102 & send the heads to get a Valve job & Hollow Stem Valves & have the Intake Ported & matched to my 215s

I am curious to see your gains with this Intake on that setup since the LS6 is 78mm??? I just got my NW TB thanks to the guys at Vengance for talking me in to it. The NW TB is a very nice unit & you can tell with the packaging & quallity, Your gonna crap when you get your 102 TB. I can fit my whole fist inside it & I still have room around my hand
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty good hp for a ls6 intake .how much to maybe gain 15 hp.will the intake port be match to the head port?tfs heads and fast intake encounter a nice little step.it can be some what fixed with a thick intake gasket.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Maybe it would help if we start sending a Ziploc bag containing all of the plastic we remove while porting with each ported intake we ship. Unless you have a before/after picture saying the intake just looks "sanded" is not accurate. We finish with 120 grit sanding rolls for the best finish possible. That being said, there is PLENTY of plastic removed prior to the finishing work being completed...

Aesthetics aside, our ported intakes have time and time again proven to perform and show excellent results.

thechef, I would expect you to gain 25 to 30HP with the addition of a ported 102 combo. If we can help you out feel free to give us a call.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled my intake apart and it just looked hand sanded. the naked eye COULD miss anything that may of been opened. I did look at my friends 102 and from the eye could not see anything bigger and i used a tape. I took it apart before i sent it to mammo. It does look like it was just smoothed out. I called and asked once what was done and how much it was opened and the answer i was given was ''i don't know''. Still with vengeance i'm happy i done buisness with them and just ordered parts from them last week too. The shop has great customer service. Infact i been admiring a short block from them and will feel good about ordering from them. On the intake mammo himself said what was done was a good job before he opened it up more.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike c.
I pulled my intake apart and it just looked hand sanded. the naked eye COULD miss anything that may of been opened. I did look at my friends 102 and from the eye could not see anything bigger and i used a tape. I took it apart before i sent it to mammo. It does look like it was just smoothed out. I called and asked once what was done and how much it was opened and the answer i was given was ''i don't know''. Still with vengeance i'm happy i done buisness with them and just ordered parts from them last week too. The shop has great customer service. Infact i been admiring a short block from them and will feel good about ordering from them. On the intake mammo himself said what was done was a good job before he opened it up more.

Mike, I appreciate your good words. I would like to know who made the comment " I dont know" to you if you happen to remember. Feel free to PM me...

As for the porting, please understand we are not trying to open up the intake as big as possible. We are more interested in shape/contour and flow.. Compare an intake to a set of cylinder heads... What happens when you put a 245cc head on a stock 346 shortblock?? Now, remove the 245 heads and install a 215cc cylinder head... See my point?

We do offer extensive port programs for those that need it. We offer port matching as well and just completed an intake this past week for a set of AFR 230s.... Our normal port job is more than enough for our heads/cam customers and even mild strokers.

Thank you again for being a loyal customer. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to work with you on a shortblock when the time comes.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly seeing the caliber of builds that come out of Vengence I don't think they would just hand sand an intake and call it good. Especially an intake that retails for like 1300 bucks.

I have a friend from Clemson, SC with a silver vette that if he doesn't work on his own car (which is a lot) he takes it to Vengence. Been doing so for years, so don't be afraid to buy one of their intakes. I'd bet you'd gain 25hp from going to it and the 102 TB.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

To truly professionally port an intake, it should be done in coordination with the heads.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by predator-z
to truly professionally port an intake, it should be done in coordination with the heads.
^^^this
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SEB
I just bought a FAST 102 for my 346 motor & was going to have it ported & heard the same story about their port jobs.

I think this winter I am going to pull my TFS Heads & FAST 102 & send the heads to get a Valve job & Hollow Stem Valves & have the Intake Ported & matched to my 215s

I am curious to see your gains with this Intake on that setup since the LS6 is 78mm??? I just got my NW TB thanks to the guys at Vengance for talking me in to it. The NW TB is a very nice unit & you can tell with the packaging & quallity, Your gonna crap when you get your 102 TB. I can fit my whole fist inside it & I still have room around my hand
how about you just get the car runnng!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious, what would be the gains goin from a stock cammed c6 LS3 intake to a ported fast 102?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
To truly professionally port an intake, it should be done in coordination with the heads.
Exactly and the block because the angle of the intake port from the manifold to the angle of the port in the cylinder head is rarely thought of especially decking heads .050 decking blocks ect.
Really you have to look at the goals of your customer and the entire engine as a package, Ported doesn't always mean better especially if you are removing material just to remove it, a lot of times your looking to just clean up and touch up some areas that need attention without gaining size aka volume, this subject gets DEEP FAST LOL
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I dropped big money on a Vengeance ported FAST 92 a few years ago. They stayed late because I was driving up from Orlando. I had been told I was going to get a NW TB but when I arrived Mike said all they had was the BlueMax version, and WTF was I going to do then? Throttle blade stuck bad and I had to sand it down manually to unstick it after I arrived home. Also gained nothing from the intake because (I later learned) I wasn't intake restricted with the LS6 intake I replaced.

So I'd say if your logs don't indicate you're MAP restricted, don't spend the money on a different manifold, regardless who's it is.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

^gained 14rwhp/10rwtq with my Vengeance ported FAST 92mm/92mm TB combo with a mild H/C over LS6 ported TB. I can tell its easy to see with my eyes that plenty of plastic has been removed. Its worth it, but I suggest it should be one of the last mod to do..
Old 08-01-2011, 04:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing you may want to check is the port size on the Edelbrock heads, especially since I don't believe a lot of vendors are familiar with them as you don't see them that often. The reason behind my statement is that I used a ported FAST 90 with my Dart 205 heads and the combination didn't work well. When I removed the intake, which had red lines on it from the port work to mark where the porting should be, I found that the head ports were much narrower then the FAST ports and as a result presented a wall to the incoming air. I ended up losing power except at the very upper RPM where I gained 1-2 hp.

I am not familiar with the FAST 102, but it may be worth sorting through how the ports will match before spending the cash. I corrected my sitation with a set of AFR's.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I have 243 stage1 heads 228r cam (.588 lift), I also have comp cam lifters, SLP oil pump, double timing chain,summit fully roller rocker arms,ported polished 85 millimeter throttle body, LS 6 intake, fast 36 pounds injectors, 3000 tci stall, rebuilt trany, 4.10 gears, eaton posi unit, volant air box, slp smooth bellow, slp 85mm MAF sensor, headers, cutouts, polyurethane bushings all away round,adjustable torque arm, lower control arms, relocation brackets. How much would I gain with the ported. fast 92 with big mouth 92mm tb
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I gained 30 rwhp and 24 rwtrq going from a stock ls6 intake, ported corvette throttle body to a vengeance ported 102, NW 102 tb. This was done on my 408 not just a heads and cam car.

There are few little things that will add up with a 102 for ls1/6 car. The ls1/6 fuel rail will not work. I personally bought a ls2 style rail. Cheaper and easier than the fancy fuel rails. ls1/6 style injectors are a different length and you will need the spacer kit. The fast does not come with the intake gasket seals. They cost extra. Just a little fitment issue that I experienced with my car was having to clearance the water pump for the 102 tb and nitrous plate. One of the bolt hole eyes had to be ground down a little. Not hard to do at all and the shop did it while the pump was installed on my car. Just giving you information so you can avoid a possible problem.

Quick Reply: Gains from VENGANCE FAST 102 vs Ls6 intake