Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Gained only 3 horsepower?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gained only 3 horsepower?!

I have a 01 ss a4. Current dyno numbers are 340 hp to the wheels. 340 was obtained by installing american racing headers, K and N cold air system, 160 thermostat, 373 gears, and magnaflow catback exhaust. I just recently installed a rifled ported stock sized throttle body from Jannetti racing (also can be purchased from Mike Norris for those of you who recognize this name) and an SLP underdrive pulley. I thought for sure I would see more than 3 horsepower! I took the car to the same place I've had it dynoed in the past and it was a very cool day to make some runs. After reading an article in my July's edition of Camaro Performers magazine which documented this same install on an 01 z28 they recieved upward of 15 horses without a tune! What the hell. Luckily not a whole lot of money was spent and install was handled by a myself and a capable friend. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mawilso24
I just recently installed a rifled ported stock sized throttle body
First I've heard about rifled ported stock sized t/b's. I won't even get into the rifling part, but have to wonder why not port the t/b while it was out? This part alone I can see how no hp was gained.
The 3 hp you did gain surely came from the underdrive pulley alone. I'm not sure what the average hp gain is for an underdrive pulley, but I can't imagine it being all that much.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cpo
First I've heard about rifled ported stock sized t/b's. I won't even get into the rifling part, but have to wonder why not port the t/b while it was out? This part alone I can see how no hp was gained.
The 3 hp you did gain surely came from the underdrive pulley alone. I'm not sure what the average hp gain is for an underdrive pulley, but I can't imagine it being all that much.
Well, I can't see how no hp was gained?,... especially after a dyno test on a car that was very similar to my mine in mods. The techs who ran the article attributed the gains from past research and runs they did with the ported/rifled throttle body.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

what is a rifled TB???
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

....take it to the track? too many people look at dyno numbers, as long as you're getting better performance who cares.

Side Note: Is this new tb any larger than the stock one? if the sizes are the same, you would have probably have been better off porting and polishing the stock one. IMO

Also, those magazines tend to hide a lot of stuff. I remember reading an article 2 years ago where they took a stock 02' Camaro SS, got a baseline dyno and then put a full exhaust on it with LT's and picked up 45 rwhp. They didn't attribute how much power was picked up in the tune alone and other subtle things done during the tune....the magazine led you to believe that changing the exhaust gained that much power.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

That is what I was thinking. Guess its like a power tower throttle body space it swirls the air for better combustion. Sounds like a tornado haha. I just have a ported TB
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

You can't compare dyno results from different days. With no changes at all a dyno can change +/- 2-3%. That can be 8 or 10 hp, which can mask your true gains. The only way to compare dynos is if they are on the same day and close to the same time with the car on the rollers. Thats like getting a dyno and 6 months later dynoing again with no changes and getting 8 more or less horsepower and being surprised. Your not going to get the same results.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
That is what I was thinking. Guess its like a power tower throttle body space it swirls the air for better combustion. Sounds like a tornado haha. I just have a ported TB
if thats what its supposed to do, then I dont see how it would make any more power. I would think the air would just be turbulant entering the intake and I cant see it entering the cylinders balanced. I might be very wrong about it though. And I also think that if it didnt hurt things at all, then it wouldnt help since the airflow would be straightened in the runners before it reached the chambers.

Can someone correct me if/where I am wrong? Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its easy to understand magazines lie about dyno numbers and performance gain all the time, they are getting paid to advertise. those 15 horses probably came from a very aggressive tune and a splash of race gas. rifle porting eh? never heard of it. go with tried and true mods. ported heads and a bigger cam. i wouldnt buy anything from slp anyway, overpriced old tech.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mawilso24
I have a 01 ss a4. Current dyno numbers are 340 hp to the wheels. 340 was obtained by installing american racing headers, K and N cold air system, 160 thermostat, 373 gears, and magnaflow catback exhaust. I just recently installed a rifled ported stock sized throttle body from Jannetti racing (also can be purchased from Mike Norris for those of you who recognize this name) and an SLP underdrive pulley. I thought for sure I would see more than 3 horsepower! I took the car to the same place I've had it dynoed in the past and it was a very cool day to make some runs. After reading an article in my July's edition of Camaro Performers magazine which documented this same install on an 01 z28 they recieved upward of 15 horses without a tune! What the hell. Luckily not a whole lot of money was spent and install was handled by a myself and a capable friend. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys.
Sorry for your loss.

I have dealt with Ted on multiple occasions on multiple cars and wish you would have posted this before hand. Porting TB's often do not have a huge factor on HP, even on very modified motors and UD Pulley sometimes does by itself 3-5 hp but like said they dyno itself can very. Ted uses Dyno that is for Diesels and it has some varibles that make it very much like a Mustang dyno. So compared to a Dynojet you may see more.

Most times where you need more TB, generally your at the point where you need more intake and even with a FAST, a stock style intake has limits.

Since I am a CT local, most Dynojets in the area seems to be within 1% of his, and I have seen it with my own cars in the past Think he still uses the Superflow....

Just a FYI doing a U/D pulley, you were a spring swap away from throwing a cam in there. Sucks you may have to do the job twice...

As for the acclaimed hp there are generally other factors that may not be mentioned in the article, I will have to re-read it myself.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by usafws6
rifle porting eh?

Sounds like another nice gimmick for ridding people of their $$$.

stock ls1 + spiral port tb + e3 spark plugs + 0 ohm plug wires + k&n filter = 360rwhp on stock tune!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding swirl / turbulence at the head end of a dry-flow
manifold is going to give you nothing (at best). You can
hope that the rifling is only cosmetic. If you can hear it
whistle (like I have, with one of those dumb-*** vortex
inserts) than it's guaranteed* to be costing you airflow.
All the swirl you need, is made at the intake port ramp.

* liability limited to monies paid for advice
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Also look at your power through rpm range. You may have only picked up 3 up top but what about down low? And I am totally against adding any possible restrictions in my intake. Also was it hp at the wheels or at the crank the magazine was talking about . Most I have read post the projected numbers at the crank and not the tire so with parastatic loss u could be rite around what the mag said
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Also just because you dont see any improvement in dyno numbers doesnt mean you wont see a performance gain at the track. My SS made 308whp on a mustang stock with a bad maf knocking its *** off. With a good maf and a ported throttle body it still made within 2-3hp of that (diff dyno diff day). But I dropped .4 off my e/t's.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Sounds like another nice gimmick for ridding people of their $$$.

stock ls1 + spiral port tb + e3 spark plugs + 0 ohm plug wires + k&n filter = 360rwhp on stock tune!!!!

This is what the rifled throttle body looks like. It is actually called a V Maxx throttle body. Mike Norris from Indiana sells them as well. If the picture doesn't show in this post go to this website and read about it...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...9-shipped.html
Attached Thumbnails Gained only 3 horsepower?!-dsc01801.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah I saw them online, the picture was a joke.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gimmick
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
You can't compare dyno results from different days. With no changes at all a dyno can change +/- 2-3%. That can be 8 or 10 hp, which can mask your true gains. The only way to compare dynos is if they are on the same day and close to the same time with the car on the rollers. Thats like getting a dyno and 6 months later dynoing again with no changes and getting 8 more or less horsepower and being surprised. Your not going to get the same results.
+1 on this
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Almost every time I dyno tested a TB I did it while the car was still strapped down. Back to back asap type testing with everything be consistent like temps and such.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Whats your opinion on rifled TB's, you a fan?