Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2005 GTO Street Heat Stage 2 "Cam-only"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked for a shop years ago, never did any ls stuff there. Mostly SB2, 18 degree, and SBF stuff. The owner sold out, passed away, and wasnt very well known unless you were in circle track stuff.

I was with the guy in the blue SS that took 2nd in the Manual Shoot out, we got busy when we started going rounds and didnt have alot of time to visit. But we did get the 100 for the 60 ft. He went 10.25@131. Didnt expect to do well, so we werent exactly ready for it. Lol. Just a 3600 pound car with a small cam, stock heads, pacesetters, and some spray. I believe the trailer between us was the guy that had the tubbed car in the enclosed trailer that never unloaded. Andy actually spoke to jonathon. We arent local really. Rockingham was a 3.5 hour trip for us. We mostly 1/8th mile race at Shadyside and Union. Asheville area group of people.

We havent been in da below 1000 in a long time. Dont go that far east very often. Mostly to the foot of the mountains
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alans02z
I worked for a shop years ago, never did any ls stuff there. Mostly SB2, 18 degree, and SBF stuff. The owner sold out, passed away, and wasnt very well known unless you were in circle track stuff.

I was with the guy in the blue SS that took 2nd in the Manual Shoot out, we got busy when we started going rounds and didnt have alot of time to visit. But we did get the 100 for the 60 ft. He went 10.25@131. Didnt expect to do well, so we werent exactly ready for it. Lol. Just a 3600 pound car with a small cam, stock heads, pacesetters, and some spray. I believe the trailer between us was the guy that had the tubbed car in the enclosed trailer that never unloaded. Andy actually spoke to jonathon. We arent local really. Rockingham was a 3.5 hour trip for us. We mostly 1/8th mile race at Shadyside and Union. Asheville area group of people.

We havent been in da below 1000 in a long time. Dont go that far east very often. Mostly to the foot of the mountains
I believe he runs one of our transmissions right?

So you got the 100 dollars we gave out that's cool. I also gave 50 dollars of my own money to the best reaction time. We like to give back to the racers, we may even be contributing sponsorship to the RS275 at Piedmont next year.

Yea here at 400ft above sea level and around 45-50 degrees we normally have about 0-300 DA. Makes for some good mph that's for sure.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes sir. A stage 2 build, master, and a monster 3 clutch. It has taken a beating thats for sure. Its good to see site sponsers doing stuff like that. Makes for a real good time. Weve never been to Piedmont, may have to make a trip next year.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I also like the idea of cams that don't make you twist the **** out of the motor to make HP/TQ...mine peaks right at 5900 and carries it flat to 6500 before it falls off...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by alans02z
Yes sir. A stage 2 build, master, and a monster 3 clutch. It has taken a beating thats for sure. Its good to see site sponsers doing stuff like that. Makes for a real good time. Weve never been to Piedmont, may have to make a trip next year.
We will always give back when there is a chance too. Piedmont IME is the best track around locally. The track is usually so sticky that if your shoes aren't tied tight they will be pulled off your feet or at least attempt to be pulled off your feet.
Originally Posted by weldermike27408
I also like the idea of cams that don't make you twist the **** out of the motor to make HP/TQ...mine peaks right at 5900 and carries it flat to 6500 before it falls off...
Your graph is very impressive Mike, that is what every stroker street car dyno graph should look like.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 PM
8 Second Club

Good job guys, that's some nice results-gives up nothing down low and adds a tonne up top-what more can anyone ask out of a cam.

I bet that car would respond real well to a nice shot of juice!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
We will always give back when there is a chance too. Piedmont IME is the best track around locally. The track is usually so sticky that if your shoes aren't tied tight they will be pulled off your feet or at least attempt to be pulled off your feet.
ive seen that happen @ Piedmont when people walk around at the lights...shoe stays behind on the ground...usually pretty good there
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eb02z06
Good job guys, that's some nice results-gives up nothing down low and adds a tonne up top-what more can anyone ask out of a cam.

I bet that car would respond real well to a nice shot of juice!
I dunno Arun...tough crowd to please around here it seems.

That was a joke to the tough crowd members don't jump on me....

I too think this cam would pull a ridiculous torque number with a 100 shot and that it would blow the torque curve out of the water. The EVO event is just begging for some extra cylinder pressure to be introduced from either compression or nitrous as it was designed for!

ive seen that happen @ Piedmont when people walk around at the lights...shoe stays behind on the ground...usually pretty good there
I would know, it's happened to me!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This GTO belongs to a customer of ours that wanted to add some power to his ride. He originally wanted to send his heads to Advanced Induction for their 226cc port program along with the Tick Performance "Street Heat" Stage 2 camshaft for LS1 engines. When he dropped it off we decided to wait on the port work for the heads and see how much we could make "cam-only" first as his vehicle is truly cam only and very simple in modifications.

His modifications include:
-Stock GTO LS2 shortblock
-Stock LS2 heads at factory compression
-Ported LS2 intake
-Stock throttle body
-Stock MAF
-SLP 1x3/4" headers
-Spintech Exhaust
-Tick Performance "Street Heat" Stage 2 camshaft (231/238 .617"/.585" 113+3)

I've included the graph of the baseline run and the way it will leave the shop today. The numbers it made before the cam swap were very strong which surprised us at first. After we thought about it though the numbers come at no surprise as the factory cam is 204/211 .525"/.525" 116LSA out the door from GM. Most of the gains I've seen so far with this cam have been 40-55rwhp and this one only gaining 36rwhp points to the already decent sized factory cam.

Anyways, here is the graph:

Power peaked right at 6300rpm and carried very nicely out to 6800rpm. Again it lost no power to the stock cam which is always a plus. I would say if this cam was to be put on a 112 or 111lsa even that the gains in the low-end and mid-range would be even greater, but with sacrificed idle quality.
Anyways, any questions or comments are welcome!

Martin
Martin that's a great package you out together. Being that you invited some similar comparisons here is my 2005 GTO M6 car.
Dyno stock with tune vs Camshaft 222/226 .575/.575 112LSA, Pace setter 1.75" Longtubes, Magnaflow Catback and a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90mm. Stock 243's

Name:  DynographGTO.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  34.4 KB

I love the way the car drives with this package. Your customer must be very happy with the results!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Black X - Your torque gain with the 222/226 cam is awesome. Is that the EPS cam or something very similar? Low and mid-range is pretty incredible...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black X
Martin that's a great package you out together. Being that you invited some similar comparisons here is my 2005 GTO M6 car.
Dyno stock with tune vs Camshaft 222/226 .575/.575 112LSA, Pace setter 1.75" Longtubes, Magnaflow Catback and a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90mm. Stock 243's

I love the way the car drives with this package. Your customer must be very happy with the results!
Black X,

Thanks for the compliments! Your torque gains in the mid-range are incredible which with a 46-48 EVO it should be. Also from what I've seen from the results of Tony's porting of the Fast intakes they gain EVERYWHERE in the rpm range after he touches them and they especially seem to gain torque in the mid-range after he is done with them. He really is a master behind the cutting bit that's for sure!

Customer is very happy that is for sure. He had to wait before he could really romp on it from 1st-4th gear since we installed a new clutch at the same time and he needed to break it in solidly, but now that he has done that he is extremely pleased and cannot wait to slap the Advanced Induction 226cc 243 heads on there.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrentSS
Black X - Your torque gain with the 222/226 cam is awesome. Is that the EPS cam or something very similar? Low and mid-range is pretty incredible...
Honestly. I picked this cam up used so im not 100% sure the original vendor. Being that I posted in Martins thread I would recommend you get in contact with him if your looking for some exceptional mid range gains. He would be able to get you somthing very similar.

Black X,

Thanks for the compliments! Your torque gains in the mid-range are incredible which with a 46-48 EVO it should be. Also from what I've seen from the results of Tony's porting of the Fast intakes they gain EVERYWHERE in the rpm range after he touches them and they especially seem to gain torque in the mid-range after he is done with them. He really is a master behind the cutting bit that's for sure!

Customer is very happy that is for sure. He had to wait before he could really romp on it from 1st-4th gear since we installed a new clutch at the same time and he needed to break it in solidly, but now that he has done that he is extremely pleased and cannot wait to slap the Advanced Induction 226cc 243 heads on there.
Im very excited to see your results with a head swap. Its something i have considered myself for my GTO.

James
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black X
Honestly. I picked this cam up used so im not 100% sure the original vendor. Being that I posted in Martins thread I would recommend you get in contact with him if your looking for some exceptional mid range gains. He would be able to get you somthing very similar.

Im very excited to see your results with a head swap. Its something i have considered myself for my GTO.

James
If you're considering it, you owe it to yourself to have Phil do them up. We pretty much use Phil exclusively for our stock castings that we want ported and use TEA, LPE or WCCH for our aftermarket castings since we usually buy them through them or SDPC. We also use PRC stock casting heads in our customer builds that request them.

Also James, I've followed your truck for a very long time. When I had my last two S-10's years and years ago(I was s10sittnondubs on S-10forum) I always wanted to do a LS swap and your truck was the reason for it.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

I am so pleased with the results. I just had 555rs installed and did a couple dynolicious runs to see the increase in performance. (Drag strips are closed but this app is very accurate) On my 2nd run after heating the tires up I ran a 4.1 to 60mph. On route to a 12.4@116mph. I know at the track it will be much more accurate. Anyeays here is a terrible video of how fast she pulls through the gears.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by therat1989
I am so pleased with the results. I just had 555rs installed and did a couple dynolicious runs to see the increase in performance. (Drag strips are closed but this app is very accurate) On my 2nd run after heating the tires up I ran a 4.1 to 60mph. On route to a 12.4@116mph. I know at the track it will be much more accurate. Anyeays here is a terrible video of how fast she pulls through the gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXkkge54Usk
Wow, the acceleration is really impressive!

That thing wraps up so quick it's nearly impossible to follow the tach needle in 1st and 2nd gear! It looks like it's falling right back into the meat of it's power band on each shift which is great.

How are you liking the Monster clutch Matt?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

I am loving it. Combined with the mgw-p the car shifts are very direct and purposeful. The only thing left on the drivetrain for me is a 1 piece carbon fiber shaft. I dont like any slop in my drivetrain. I also think the 3.70s are perfect for this setup. The lighter flywheel feels great when shifting as well. It helps smooth things out when shifting harder. All in all the car is fantastic. Just a few more ponies, and some cosmetic stuff and I am finished with the car. My goal was to create a rediculous car that can be driven everyday. I still can get 26mpg average on the highway and the ride is so smooth and fairly quiet. Thanks tick and I cannot wait to see the fibal results in the coming months.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by therat1989
I am loving it. Combined with the mgw-p the car shifts are very direct and purposeful. The only thing left on the drivetrain for me is a 1 piece carbon fiber shaft. I dont like any slop in my drivetrain. I also think the 3.70s are perfect for this setup. The lighter flywheel feels great when shifting as well. It helps smooth things out when shifting harder. All in all the car is fantastic. Just a few more ponies, and some cosmetic stuff and I am finished with the car. My goal was to create a rediculous car that can be driven everyday. I still can get 26mpg average on the highway and the ride is so smooth and fairly quiet. Thanks tick and I cannot wait to see the fibal results in the coming months.
I'm glad you like the cam and supporting mods we installed! I told ya the car drove like stock till you hit the gas....
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

which monster does he have???
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

which monster does he have???
Stage 2 with the 18lb flywheel. I love the combo.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

They are getting ready to do a Monster Level 1 Twin on mine here in a week or so...

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO Street Heat Stage 2 "Cam-only"