Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

418 stroker dyno sheet... could my exhaust or intake be holding me back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 418 stroker dyno sheet... could my exhaust or intake be holding me back?

car is gen 1 cts-v... has ls3 418 stroker with prc 247 heads, 11 to 1 comp, 247/250 624 595 114+4 cam..... car has billy boat 1 3/4 headers with their hf cats and cat back..... mantic clutch.... vengeance ported fast 92, stock ls2 tb....and volant cai could my headers/cats or volant intake with unported tb be holding me back? i've seen others make 30 more wheel with smaller heads motors and almost exact cam... not that i really need more power with my tires.... but still makes you wonder

dyno graph attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0005.pdf (299.1 KB, 575 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

torque curve looks a little funky....was it knocking on this pull at peak torque? IMO that curve should have kept going and made a 'hump' before it fell off, but you can see where it flattened out.

Looks like it pulled clean to almost 6500, which makes me wonder if there is anything actually restricting the power output...but I agree a set of 1 7/8" headers might help.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know they make 2" headers for the newer CTS-V's, but not sure about your year. I agree that larger headers would help. That's a pretty big engine that needs to breath.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all i can think is maybe the ls6 maf and volant cai are restricting intake... i saw that kooks makes 1 7/8 headers but they only connect to corsa's system and i dont like the way it sounds... b&b's exhaust has a much more commanding tone.... i'd love to find some headers i could use with the b&b cats or some that had their own cats that would connect... most likely i think its the exhaust holding me back the most... i doubt the 102 setup will gain me much.... maybe just getting a nick williams tb for my 92 setup? do they make a drive by wire ls2 type tb for 92s? i tried using a ls3 tb once didnt work
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

martin at tick speced the cam for me... he told me it would be a flat tq curve like that before i put it in
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you in regards to changing out the TB. You already have a ported FAST 92, so no sense in going to a 102. The HP per cost would not be in your favor.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Volant is killing the car. Pull it off and make a test pull in speed density with nothing on the TB.

They flow for crap.

My heads/cam ls6 car went from 400ish to 440 by ditching it. Back to back pulls same dyno same day.

Build a custom 4" intake. (And keep the maf lol) MightyMouse has been there before too.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tune looks fat too unless they were fighting knock. Looks like the AFR is riding at or below 12:1 for nearly the entire pull. Seems pretty conservative for an NA motor. Was it pulling vacuum on the big end? That would be a good indicator that the intake is a restriction.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitely feel that a larger primary headers and possibly a larger intake would help. While the 92mm setup flows well, I think a motor of this size would benefit from the larger intake. Its been proven that larger primaries on larger motors will make more power. Great power numbers for what is around the motor in my opinion! I would bet there is another 20rwhp in induction and exhaust changes. Especially if what Gabbiana is saying is true, that is a huge pick up from an induction change.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i'll see if i can get a dif cold air intake worked out.... not really sure who to talk to about that... hopefully the shop can help... i also talked to billy boat... they said they had front pipes with resonaters that would take away the cats but would keep the same tone in the exhaust... for me to get another set of coated headers seems really pricy 1541 for coated 1 7/8s from b&b!!!!.... i think the cats are probably the main culprit on the exhaust side...
Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also thanks to Beau and Jon at Texas speed... very helpful and pleasant to deal with during the build , and in dealing with small issues
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might see if Gabbiani can send you a pic of his setup, like I said before those gains are phenomenal if true! The primary size is important imo, so save the pennies if you have to. Itll be worth it later!

Thanks
John J

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have the car anymore

It wasn't much more than a 4" 90 coupler with a 4" pipe and the biggest k&n cone I could get on the end.

I know my numbers look dramatic. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there. First few pulls I was ready to torch the car when it wouldn't make 400. Was a nearly new filter. The V has so little room to make the bend and fit things between the hood, radiator, PS pulley.

I think you have several things hurting small amounts that all added up could be huge. Primaries, intake, tb, cai. I think the Volant would be the cheapest thing to attack next.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm..... i think what i'll do for now is maybe do the catless front pipes... that and maybe the cai if its easy and cheap.... i didnt build the motor as a max effort na project in the first place.... plans are to put a f1 on sooner or later which is why i built it to just at 11 to 1 with a really tight head gasket.. gonna change it to a .06 to get the comp down to mid to low tens and put 8-10 psi through it.... then do the primarys... hopefully that will get me in the 700 range.... that's the plan at least.... for now 500 is fine without getting into thousands for 20 hp
Old 02-09-2014, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the torque curve looks great!

Here is what I would do personally.

2" headers
cat delete
better CAI

I think you have a solid 525rwhp/500rwtq combo if you can extract some more exhaust flow and induction flow from the combo.

It may even make more power than that.

As I mentioned to you when you first dyno'd the car. I have a customer with a 416, PRC 237cc heads, Fast 102 and 1x7/8" headers in a GTO. With a 247/251 .624/.624 111+3 cam(same as yours only on a 111lsa and different ICL) it made 540rwhp/520rwtq.

I know I said it at the beginning of my post, but that torque curve looks great IMO! It just needs about 25 more numbers!

That said, I think the combo should of peaked at a higher RPM. I would expect a 6200-6400rpm HP peak due to the cam timing and induction in place. It looks like it flattened out a bit early as well as Mike noted with the torque curve.

There is more power hiding in this set-up.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i definitely for now want to delete the cats... i just really hope the front pipes dont change the low thunderous sound of the exhaust... i would sacrifice 30 wheel to keep the tone honestly... i know b&b can do 1 7/8 headers but i didnt ask about 2"... it might be really close to the steering shaft with those... would def have to go coated as well... plug wires were burt up after 10k even with coated headers... the custom cai seems like the easiest solution, but for the cramped space i have to work with... its so tight in that engine compartment.... when i look at the volant the only thing that looks like it would hurt flow is the air box cover.... and maybe the filter, its kinda small.... its specs are
Flange 6.00
Base 7.50
Top 4.75
Height 5.00

the cover was on when it got tuned.... i took it off since, maybe it'll help???? the hose section looks fine as far as i can tell, it would def be harder to fit something larger... it would prob be squeezed up against the radiator...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pulling the filter didnt help. It was the tube choking mine. 4" is a real squeeze between rad and power steering.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks that its the tube.... well i'll def have to figure something out there... that was a huge gain you had from ditching it.... would def be my cheapest option as well... thanks for letting me know about the details!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try a matching throttle body, larger headers and maybe the induction swap. And check why your AF is so fat.

I would hold off on an intake swap. Your Fast 92 should work.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackz97
Was it pulling vacuum on the big end? That would be a good indicator that the intake is a restriction.
I keep looking for the answer to this question, did I miss it?

Quick Reply: 418 stroker dyno sheet... could my exhaust or intake be holding me back?