Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Different dyno's, different numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different dyno's, different numbers

I have a 98 SS with a mild cam that was dynoed at 355whp a little over a year ago, i recently had it dynoed by a different shop a few weeks ago, both shops used mustang dyno's, but read different numbers. A few months ago i bought an LS6 intake off an 04 Corvette and installed it, so i wanted to get it dynoed again to compare, the previous shop that dynoed the car the first time closed down, so the other shop's mustang dyno read 345whp, and ended up with 357whp after the tune. I know the LS6 intakes provide proven power, but i was just confused as to why i got a 10hp loss between the two mustang dyno's... with the more likely possibility being that they just read differently. I listed my mods below in case it will help.

225/232 comp cam (custom grind)
stainless LT headers
full 3'' exhaust, cutout at the y
SLP CAI
LS6 intake, PP fuel rails
truetrac posi
dyno tune

Other mods are just for looks. 1.4'' drop, custom sized 17'' C6 rims, SS hood and spoiler and working 93-96 model tail lights. Electron blue in color.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't matter....mustang dynos can read higher than dynojets and vice versa, and can be manipulated at any given point in time.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LSone98
.....but i was just confused as to why i got a 10hp loss between the two mustang dyno's......
Different dynos, even of the same type and brand, will show HP/TQ dependent on how they're calibrated and set-up. That's why dynos are looked upon as a general guide to power vs being definitive.

The most important numbers here are the numbers off the SAME duno.....and at that, you show a 12 HP increase with the LS6 intake. This improvement from one engine set-up to the next on the same dyno is what you want to see.

Anytime you change dynos.....do a baseline run before additional mods and an 'after-mods' run to see your change/improvement.

Congrats!

KW
Old 09-05-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

You need to get her to the track and whoop on her, and see how she runs. That's the true tale of the tape.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I plan on taking her out to the track at some point... I used to have a WS6 pushing the same numbers running mid 12's in the 1/4 mile, she was totalled though... the guy I was racing lost control of his vehicle and smashed into me. Anyway, I should expect to see similar runs with this car.

On a side note, I make YouTube videos with my friends, below are the links to two videos, the first one you can see my WS6, and in the second video you can see my SS. Both are right at the beginning, in case anyone is curious.

https://youtu.be/lqOpnSkGuL4

https://youtu.be/O6hjYofWIMI

Old 09-08-2016, 12:24 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes mustang dyno #s can easily be different via the load used during your pulls. The first place you went could have used say 3600lbs and the 2nd one could be using 3800lbs or so. The load would affect the dyno # output. It is always good to know your race weight when using a mustang dyno during a tuning session and stay consistent with that weight with the dyno operator. I know when I tune one of my turbo vehicles I always load it up raceweight plus possible passenger. I think it gives you more of a safety factor.

I would like to add I have seen mustang dyno operators trick people during tuning as well by making sure they dynod low to show a bigger gain during a tuning session. Always verify the race weight settings if the dyno operator will let you watch them plug it in.

Last edited by VINCE; 09-08-2016 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more..
Old 09-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

as weight goes up, rate of change of rpm goes down

Dynojet uses a specific weight roller. A level playing field. That is why I prefer dynojet style, much easier to compare vehicles. But you have to remember once true vehicle weight is on the road, rate of change of rpm will change and it might prefer a lot less timing or even different injector phasing.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Doesn't matter....mustang dynos can read higher than dynojets and vice versa, and can be manipulated at any given point in time.
Thats the issue in bold above. They are great for tuning on BUT the operator can skew the numbers however they want. No way to know if both were calibrated the same or even if the same dyno had same setting as before.

Quick Reply: Different dyno's, different numbers