HioCrew LBO LS1 hits the rollers: 371rwhp stock cam and heads - Page 5 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Dynamometer Results & Comparisons
Reload this Page >

HioCrew LBO LS1 hits the rollers: 371rwhp stock cam and heads

Notices
Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

HioCrew LBO LS1 hits the rollers: 371rwhp stock cam and heads

 
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM
  #81  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,203
Default

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid View Post
I do some of the things you mention, but use a line lock and a 2step i set up on HPT out of the hole. I ease up on the clutch just till I fell it start to feel it load up the drive line, the hard part is taming your excitment and left foot and try to roll off the clutch to prevent a bog but slip it fast enough to make a decent 60', looking into a clutch tamer for next year.
I hear that. I've played with it a little on the street in other stick cars I've owned and the balance of slip of the clutch, the tires etc is a definite chore. That clutch tamer thing, that's a flow reducing valve right? Is there a way it only functions for first gear? The ones I've seen in the past were purely mechanical, haven't looked into them in years to see if they have on that can be electro-mechanical and switched on and off.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 12:03 PM
  #82  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 4,917
Default

The tamer works everytime you push the clutch
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 PM
  #83  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
TheeCamaroKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 198
Default

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
I hear that. I've played with it a little on the street in other stick cars I've owned and the balance of slip of the clutch, the tires etc is a definite chore. That clutch tamer thing, that's a flow reducing valve right? Is there a way it only functions for first gear? The ones I've seen in the past were purely mechanical, haven't looked into them in years to see if they have on that can be electro-mechanical and switched on and off.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver View Post
The tamer works everytime you push the clutch
Im looking at the pneumatic style clutch tamer from Weedburner, apparently he can also make it so it only slips on the initial clutch dump and not the up shifts

"NOTE- for those who may be skeptical of adding clutch slip after the shifts, there is a cheap/simple way to effectively enable the ClutchTamer only during launch- a drop-out spacer installed between the dash bracket and the delay ****."
TheeCamaroKid is offline  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM
  #84  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,203
Default

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid View Post
Im looking at the pneumatic style clutch tamer from Weedburner, apparently he can also make it so it only slips on the initial clutch dump and not the up shifts

"NOTE- for those who may be skeptical of adding clutch slip after the shifts, there is a cheap/simple way to effectively enable the ClutchTamer only during launch- a drop-out spacer installed between the dash bracket and the delay ****."
I would be highly concerned about it engaging on upshifts, only because the higher the gear the harder it is on the clutch to hold it. If you ever had a clutch on its way out you'll notice it slips more in the higher gears when it first starts going and then all gears.

I feel that there's an electronic one out there that can be switched on and off but I didn't want to say that without knowing so I don't give bad info. Gonna look.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM
  #85  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,203
Default

Here's a couple. There's probably other options, I saw a few pics with different brands and just picked these two.


http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...ontrol-device/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-C...-/112164256291
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM
  #86  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 4,917
Default

Nice.....i like those better
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM
  #87  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
scotty2000ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,064
Default

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Here's a couple. There's probably other options, I saw a few pics with different brands and just picked these two.


http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...ontrol-device/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-C...-/112164256291
I'm sure those would be easier to dial in as compared to the manual tamer.
scotty2000ss is offline  
Old 11-07-2017, 11:50 AM
  #88  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,203
Default

Originally Posted by HioSSilver View Post
Nice.....i like those better
Originally Posted by scotty2000ss View Post
I'm sure those would be easier to dial in as compared to the manual tamer.
I agree the adjustable regulator is sweet and just like a brake proportioning valve. Some of the other ones I saw like clutch masters you have to pull out the jet and swap them to get the desired flow, and it's there for all gears also.

With these the solenoid lets you turn it on and off whenever or however.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM
  #89  
10 Second Club
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 3,090
Default

Tamer is better
big hammer is offline  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:21 PM
  #90  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
scotty2000ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,064
Default

Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
Tamer is better
How come?
scotty2000ss is offline  
Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM
  #91  
10 Second Club
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 3,090
Default

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss View Post
How come?
Because...
big hammer is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 AM
  #92  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (32)
 
Jenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 987
Default

Send T56 to liberty for face platting and you only need the clutch to launch...problem solved
Jenson is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM
  #93  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
AnotherWs6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 2,561
Default

Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
Send T56 to liberty for face platting and you only need the clutch to launch...problem solved
That does not solve the problem, launch is the most important.

The two hydraulic options posted seem complicated and messy. I like the tamer.
AnotherWs6 is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:32 AM
  #94  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (7)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 4,917
Default

Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
Send T56 to liberty for face platting and you only need the clutch to launch...problem solved
That's how i roll.
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 AM
  #95  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (32)
 
Jenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 987
Default

You run the tamer to solve the launch problem. No clutch needed for face plated shifting. I know Hio has been face plated for years with a button clutch. Ive run a button clutch before as well but no face plating. I wonder what setup is in the blue fastest GM 6 speed Camaro?
Jenson is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM
  #96  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
 
TheeCamaroKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 198
Default

Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
You run the tamer to solve the launch problem. No clutch needed for face plated shifting. I know Hio has been face plated for years with a button clutch. Ive run a button clutch before as well but no face plating. I wonder what setup is in the blue fastest GM 6 speed Camaro?
face plated T56, monster tripple and side step the clutch.
TheeCamaroKid is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM
  #97  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (32)
 
Jenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 987
Default

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid View Post
face plated T56, monster tripple and side step the clutch.
monster triple is big and heavy compared to a button. No need for that much holding power either. QM double and stock flex plate weighed 18# IIRC, rated for 600fwhp and they offer other disc materials to hold more power. You'd be amazed just how much easier it is to shift with just a light small clutch. Doesnt hit the tires as hard either. Just going to a 20 to 30 pound setup like the monster 8.5" or the spec mini twin (8" I believe) will be totally different. The QM I had was a 7.25" fwiw
Jenson is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM
  #98  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
scotty2000ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,064
Default

Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
monster triple is big and heavy compared to a button. No need for that much holding power either. QM double and stock flex plate weighed 18# IIRC, rated for 600fwhp and they offer other disc materials to hold more power. You'd be amazed just how much easier it is to shift with just a light small clutch. Doesnt hit the tires as hard either. Just going to a 20 to 30 pound setup like the monster 8.5" or the spec mini twin (8" I believe) will be totally different. The QM I had was a 7.25" fwiw
How does a small hard hitting clutch, hit the tires less as compared to a heavier monster?
scotty2000ss is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM
  #99  
10 Second Club
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 3,090
Default

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss View Post
How does a small hard hitting clutch, hit the tires less as compared to a heavier monster?
Much more energy stored in a heavy clutch and flywheel. So if you're just dumping the clutch it's actually putting more to the tire. It's a different experience than a "grabby" clutch

A light clutch soaks up less energy. So if you do break traction the rear tires and rpm will tend to **** off on you faster as there's less holding the engine back
big hammer is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:18 PM
  #100  
10 Second Club
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 3,090
Default

Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
monster triple is big and heavy compared to a button. No need for that much holding power either. QM double and stock flex plate weighed 18# IIRC, rated for 600fwhp and they offer other disc materials to hold more power. You'd be amazed just how much easier it is to shift with just a light small clutch. Doesnt hit the tires as hard either. Just going to a 20 to 30 pound setup like the monster 8.5" or the spec mini twin (8" I believe) will be totally different. The QM I had was a 7.25" fwiw
My one car with a spec mini twin shifts a lot easier near 8000 rpm than my basically stock car does at 6000 with a level 2 monster. These heavy clutches like to eat your trans guts
big hammer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HioCrew LBO LS1 hits the rollers: 371rwhp stock cam and heads


About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: