Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

this car still just doesnt wanna make great numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
he likes Holley stuff, so we got ls1 height 42 pound Holley so we don't need adapters for the injectors.

I dont think he looked at the std numbers without smoothing, which yes are higher than corrected numbers. u can click on pic and it gets bigger
Your graph is in STD. I'm asking for him to convert it to SAE which is a click of the button. It'll tell you if it corrects higher or lower based on weather conditions. Either way you can use IPW to get to IDC to HP and tell if the Dyno is light or heavy. That top end does look a bit suspect though. I wish you could throw stock rockers on it lol.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Your graph is in STD. I'm asking for him to convert it to SAE which is a click of the button. It'll tell you if it corrects higher or lower based on weather conditions. Either way you can use IPW to get to IDC to HP and tell if the Dyno is light or heavy. That top end does look a bit suspect though. I wish you could throw stock rockers on it lol.
I know he must have misunderstood
Old 08-31-2020, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

You know, I had a similar issue at the top of my graph on my first build. Tuner told me he felt some vibrations and let off. We chalked it up to tires.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts

I would look at valvetrain #1 with this. Just reading what you wrote, that sticks out the most. I would verify the pushrod length absolutely and see what reality is. Yes, adj rockers can make up for some variance, but if geometry is way off then it'll do weird **** like what you are seeing. The rocker weight shouldn't be so far off, although they are heavier, but it's a TI valve so how heavy could the whole combo be? If all else fails, pull the cam and try another. Something may be off w/ that, something you are not seeing. For the amount of power you are off, w/ the basics checking out, that's what I would look at. Duty cycle of the injectors is super important also, first thing to check is if it's running out of fuel. You may be on the edge of the max of those inj, 42's seem a touch small for that combo. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2020, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
I would look at valvetrain #1 with this. Just reading what you wrote, that sticks out the most. I would verify the pushrod length absolutely and see what reality is. Yes, adj rockers can make up for some variance, but if geometry is way off then it'll do weird **** like what you are seeing. The rocker weight shouldn't be so far off, although they are heavier, but it's a TI valve so how heavy could the whole combo be? If all else fails, pull the cam and try another. Something may be off w/ that, something you are not seeing. For the amount of power you are off, w/ the basics checking out, that's what I would look at. Duty cycle of the injectors is super important also, first thing to check is if it's running out of fuel. You may be on the edge of the max of those inj, 42's seem a touch small for that combo. Good luck!
he said somethinh like the duty cycle matches the dyno curve, so at peak hp as it levels off, so does duty cycle. as graph goes down so does duty cycle. meaning fueling is doing is doing what it should. doesnt mean airflow is tho. an unstable valvetrain will cause airflow issues as well. the 97 kpa isnt dog **** but not great.

he set the rockers up so that the mini rocker tool they give you sits correctly. as long as the asjustment screw isnt a certain too many turns each way, and the rocker tool sits correctly geometry is correct.

just not sure how it can be a valvetrain issue.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 240 Likes on 162 Posts

Im running YT adjustable and it was recommended i run minimum 185lb on the seat.. I wiped a few lifters and damaged the cam. Now im at 200lb on the seat So if the crowers are heavier and with the experience ive just had id go 215lb minimum on the seat... The open pressure wasnt a problem at 500-505lb.... Sounds like youve tried everything so far so mayb throw a new set of springs at it and see how it goes.....
Old 09-19-2020, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mickyinks
Im running YT adjustable and it was recommended i run minimum 185lb on the seat.. I wiped a few lifters and damaged the cam. Now im at 200lb on the seat So if the crowers are heavier and with the experience ive just had id go 215lb minimum on the seat... The open pressure wasnt a problem at 500-505lb.... Sounds like youve tried everything so far so mayb throw a new set of springs at it and see how it goes.....
the crower guys said 200 on the seat. unsure if they knew about titanium valves. we got bigger springs and were at 202 i think
Old 09-19-2020, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts

he said somethinh like the duty cycle matches the dyno curve, so at peak hp as it levels off, so does duty cycle. as graph goes down so does duty cycle. meaning fueling is doing is doing what it should. doesnt mean airflow is tho. an unstable valvetrain will cause airflow issues as well. the 97 kpa isnt dog **** but not great.

he set the rockers up so that the mini rocker tool they give you sits correctly. as long as the asjustment screw isnt a certain too many turns each way, and the rocker tool sits correctly geometry is correct.

just not sure how it can be a valvetrain issue.
I see what you mean, but I would still re-measure and look at the whole valve train set-up. I don't think it's the springs, either, but maybe there is something. If the duty cycle is not maxxed out then inj are probably adequate. Next on the list is your coils. I have seen several others have similar problems to yours and it turned out to be coils are tired/old.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
I see what you mean, but I would still re-measure and look at the whole valve train set-up. I don't think it's the springs, either, but maybe there is something. If the duty cycle is not maxxed out then inj are probably adequate. Next on the list is your coils. I have seen several others have similar problems to yours and it turned out to be coils are tired/old.
we did try different coils back before we swapped springs and saw no differemce
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (09-22-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

im also wondering if possibly the 8mm rocker bolts could be too small now that we upped the springs and or if the 3/8 .080 wall pushrods are flexing
Old 09-20-2020, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

im also wondering if possibly the 8mm rocker bolts could be too small now that we upped the springs and or if the 3/8 .080 wall pushrods are flexing
I’m sure the engineers at Crower know what they’re doing. I’d say 8mm is fine, maybe not optimum You should consider SD tune if you haven’t done so already. Even if you only have 15 passes of seat time you can still go for the mph, which is very telling if you know your exact weight with driver. You might only be hurt by reaction time with lack of experience, not total trap speed, what’s so difficult about ringing it out for mph?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 64post
I’m sure the engineers at Crower know what they’re doing. I’d say 8mm is fine, maybe not optimum You should consider SD tune if you haven’t done so already. Even if you only have 15 passes of seat time you can still go for the mph, which is very telling if you know your exact weight with driver. You might only be hurt by reaction time with lack of experience, not total trap speed, what’s so difficult about ringing it out for mph?
im not against taking it to the track, i still dont have it back yet. he wants to do the SD tune on it and see what that does. also literally the track i have gone to just recently is allowed to hold test and tune nights again
64post (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not against taking it to the track, i still dont have it back yet. he wants to do the SD tune on it and see what that does. also literally the track i have gone to just recently is allowed to hold test and tune nights again
You should go and try it out. We also have a lane for time only when there’s brackets going on, and that can be for the same purpose, ya never get eliminated, run all night.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The MAF transfer, card style or bug catcher could be hindering you.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

hes goona get to it next week, basically slap the YT back on since we already have pushrods that length, SD tune and pray to the gods
Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Turn on the second fuel pump. Don't spend money on another dyno session without it.
jmilz28 (04-12-2021)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

wanted to stop back. got injured at work so on workers comp so goona use this time to get this car home within 3 weeks.....yes i know you guys arent holding your breath.....

ran the car with no maf screen on maf tune, removed the crower rockers and reinstalled the YT rockers with correct pushrod length. also left the springs on there set at 200 pounds installed reran it quick and saw no gains. he did tell me the tq numbers could be a touch low so since he hasnt really messed with the mid range tune to build tq. i plan on going down there when he dynos it next. problem is hes been down a tech for awhile which again put my problem on the back burner. so small bit of hope, a SD tune with some low end work might be worth 15 20 rwhp putting it in an acceptable range maybe? maybe my cam is a touch big to create the low end numbers? as far as fueling, until i get a smooth curve im goona rule out fueling since he says the fueling matches the air going in.....really think its a valvetrain issue somehow. i will definately get the tune for darth to look at tho.

one other thought, im wondering if the johnson lifters are holding the valves open somehow? i believe we are running driven 50W break in oil due to thats what the builder set the bearings for. maybe the johnsons dont like that? will be calling johnson up about that tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Man that is THICK OIL! While the rest of your engine may like/need it, I bet the lifters DON'T.
Just my .02....
Old 11-01-2020, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Man that is THICK OIL! While the rest of your engine may like/need it, I bet the lifters DON'T.
Just my .02....
hopefully we are onto something here.
G Atsma (11-01-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 06:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Isn't 200lbs light for a spring with that cam?

Quick Reply: this car still just doesnt wanna make great numbers