Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

5.3 with Summit 8718 Stg1 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gripex
33hp gain for cam and tune isnt great.... was this tuned on 87? should gain the 33 from just the cam, and another 20'ish for the tune...

Its about exactly what he should get and more. Thats a small cam. Intake isn't much more than a factory ls1/lq9 cam. Only 6 degrees more intake. Its like a "low lift" ls6 truck cam. Tuning just smoothens out the driveability while adding a few on the top end after the af ratio is dialed in. Tuning doesn't just "add 20hp". Adding long tubes and tune typically will add 20hp. My bolt on t56 car made 332whp before tuning. And long tubes throw off af ratio more than adding a small cam like this. After tuning via Diablo predator, final run was 355whp/371wtq. So 22whp gain.
And that Summit cam is small enough, I bet he was able to drive it just fine without any issues to get it dyno tuned. My other LS1 car, I swapped the LS6 top end on with FAST 78 intake, drove just fine for month til I finally got a chance to make it to my buddy's shop to dyno tune it. Being a 98, its the 2nd "largest" stock LS1 cam. But still like 6 degrees smaller on intake and 8 or 9 on exhaust vs LS6 cam. Plus head swap. AF ratio def out to lunch. Drove without issues and even made a few runs at a local 1/8 track before dyno tuning. Hell, my 98 WS6 now has a lil jump more in cam with the SDPC LS6 Power Max Plus cam. And I ported my 243s while off swapping out for new lifters.. I haven't re-tuned it and runs great! Even with the ac on!
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 5.3 with Summit 8718 Stg1 cam