Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

G8 - 408, LSA Heads, D1SC, E85

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default G8 - 408, LSA Heads, D1SC, E85

Had my car tuned last night. Build consists of a 10.5:1 408, untouched LSA heads, BTR 239/254 114+2, Fore fuel system.

Car was on E70, made 13.4psi, and 19* of timing. Blower is maxed out with a 7.65 lower and 3.4 upper. Not crazy numbers but it looks like it'll be fun and a solid curve.

The following 2 users liked this post by kurazy kracka:
ALL ULL C (04-12-2022), Ls7colorado (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Very nice results! I wasn't too far off on my guess over at gto forum as I figured you'd run out of blower with that CI. If you ever want more I'd just send the HU in for the D1x upgrade and I bet you pick up around 75whp or better.
The following 2 users liked this post by ALL ULL C:
Jimbo1367 (02-15-2023), kurazy kracka (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
Very nice results! I wasn't too far off on my guess over at gto forum as I figured you'd run out of blower with that CI. If you ever want more I'd just send the HU in for the D1x upgrade and I bet you pick up around 75whp or better.
Thanks, it's a real pretty powerband. I am definitely going to upgrade the IC to something larger and more efficient. After 6000 does that look like some belt slip or just the blower running out of steam?
Old 04-12-2022, 01:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Nice! That dyno hut looks awfully familiar.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Pretty sure belt slip may be a bit more dramatic than that graph is showing. It's really doesn't seem that it is nosing over, still seems to be climbing but just not as obvious. Is 7.65/3.4 at 6500rpm max impeller speed? Those impeller speed calc's are just a suggestion ya know

To be honest, dropping to a 3.25 blower or bumping up the crank to an 8" to see if it continues to pick up any will certainly be the "ok I'm all in now".

Damn good TQ too which the 4" stroke is helping.

Originally Posted by kurazy kracka
Thanks, it's a real pretty powerband. I am definitely going to upgrade the IC to something larger and more efficient. After 6000 does that look like some belt slip or just the blower running out of steam?
Old 04-12-2022, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Pretty sure belt slip may be a bit more dramatic than that graph is showing. It's really doesn't seem that it is nosing over, still seems to be climbing but just not as obvious. Is 7.65/3.4 at 6500rpm max impeller speed? Those impeller speed calc's are just a suggestion ya know

To be honest, dropping to a 3.25 blower or bumping up the crank to an 8" to see if it continues to pick up any will certainly be the "ok I'm all in now".

Damn good TQ too which the 4" stroke is helping.
yea the torque I was very happy with for sure, I'll probably leave it how it is for now other than maybe some IC upgrades n then over winter consider bigger changes. According to Procharger I am at the blowers max 62k RPM at 6700.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:56 AM
8 Second Club

yea the torque I was very happy with for sure, I'll probably leave it how it is for now other than maybe some IC upgrades n then over winter consider bigger changes. According to Procharger I am at the blowers max 62k RPM at 6700.
They don't shine until you turn them above the "max" RPM. They don't mind being spun higher, not a big deal because its only above it for a couple seconds at a time. Needs a better cam since its peaking super low, get a cam that makes power to 7500 and spin the blower harder and you'll get more out of the combo across the whole powerband.

Those impeller speed calc's are just a suggestion ya know .
Facts, almost every car that runs hard with a procharger is spinning them well above what the label says.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLOW SEDAN:
BCNUL8R (04-16-2022), DualQuadDave (11-04-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice results !
Old 04-13-2022, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
They don't shine until you turn them above the "max" RPM. They don't mind being spun higher, not a big deal because its only above it for a couple seconds at a time. Needs a better cam since its peaking super low, get a cam that makes power to 7500 and spin the blower harder and you'll get more out of the combo across the whole powerband.
So what would you think a better cam would be? I know the overlap in mine (18*) is bleeding a lot of boost off but it also does look very comparable to say Brute Speed's big centri blower cam.

Realistically, I won't be making any changes until winter as I just want to enjoy it now, I've never driven the car as I bought it half way done and non-drivable n I finished it up. I considered just dropping the $40 to have Pat G spec a cam out for me too.

edit: just sent in a request to Pat G for a cam lol

Last edited by kurazy kracka; 04-13-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My prediction of 720whp @13 Psi was very close. Contrats, awesome results.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Beautiful graph! Stay away from the Model S but you should spank most any other factory car.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:51 AM
8 Second Club

So what would you think a better cam would be? I know the overlap in mine (18*) is bleeding a lot of boost off but it also does look very comparable to say Brute Speed's big centri blower cam.

Realistically, I won't be making any changes until winter as I just want to enjoy it now, I've never driven the car as I bought it half way done and non-drivable n I finished it up. I considered just dropping the $40 to have Pat G spec a cam out for me too.

edit: just sent in a request to Pat G for a cam lol
Guessing he will suggest a wider LSA than you current NA cam.

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Beautiful graph! Stay away from the Model S but you should spank most any other factory car.
Traction is the name of the game.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Guessing he will suggest a wider LSA than you current NA cam.
Spoke with Pat G, he said cam is good for the setup and at most I could pick up maybe another 5-10. I THOUGHT the car had a 3" exhaust on it but upon dropping it to pull trans (supposed built trans was junk) the exhaust looks like a max of 2.75 and necking down to barely more than 2.25 in places. I am sure that is hurting me there too
Old 06-03-2022, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Great results for exhaling through a straw. Lol. Definitely get that exhaust squared away.

If you are worried, at all, about belt slip... I would go to the bigger crank pulley, rather than a smaller blower pulley. Spinning the blower faster will get you more, but you might want to upgrade the intercooler first.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

So I didn't realize that my IAT's on that run were hitting 190* and pulling timing. Tuner says better IAT's/efficient intercooler and car would make close to 100 more which sounds pretty doable. I don't see IAT's like that on the street but they still do get warm. Treadstone makes an IC that will drop in almost perfectly and is nearly twice the CFM of what's in it now.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I wouldnt touch that cam give the cubes and blower type. I am surprised the tuner said it was pulling timing. I don't think it was knock, I think it was his IAT spark correction table needs work. Shouldn't pull timing at that temp with E70 on a blower car like that. I bet it picks up with the exact same intercooler setup if he fixes his timing table.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I wouldnt touch that cam give the cubes and blower type. I am surprised the tuner said it was pulling timing. I don't think it was knock, I think it was his IAT spark correction table needs work. Shouldn't pull timing at that temp with E70 on a blower car like that. I bet it picks up with the exact same intercooler setup if he fixes his timing table.
wouldn't you want it to be pulling timing based on IAT's when seeing insane temps like that? Seems a bit unsafe to have IAT's that high even if it is on E, no?
Old 06-07-2022, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I'd figure out why power is dropping like a rock at 6500 if its not the cam, maybe that's the tuners timing pull showing up. True I don't even have an intercooler and most of the time don't see IAT's as high as his, an intercooler swap alone especially an air to air unit isn't going to gain 100whp. Want more power, run more than 13PSI! E50 and above isn't too concerned with IAT's under 200*. That said the procharger intercooler kinda sucks, especially when half of it is blocked by the crash bar.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I'd figure out why power is dropping like a rock at 6500 if its not the cam, maybe that's the tuners timing pull showing up. True I don't even have an intercooler and most of the time don't see IAT's as high as his, an intercooler swap alone especially an air to air unit isn't going to gain 100whp. Want more power, run more than 13PSI! E50 and above isn't too concerned with IAT's under 200*. That said the procharger intercooler kinda sucks, especially when half of it is blocked by the crash bar.
Crashbar is gone with just a glanzer tube bar now. Pat G guessed it was heatsoak making the power taper off up top, could be where timing is pulling as stated.

More than 13psi means spinning blower past it's max RPM but I may go to a 8" lower with an ATI balancer this winter, also considered having the blower refreshed and turned into a D1X. Blower is at least 7-8 years old. Bigger IC, bigger lower, and D1X upgrade should make it real nice but even now 800whp is fine and I don't want to spend anymore $ at the moment lol
Old 06-07-2022, 01:30 PM
8 Second Club

Crashbar is gone with just a glanzer tube bar now. Pat G guessed it was heatsoak making the power taper off up top, could be where timing is pulling as stated.

More than 13psi means spinning blower past it's max RPM but I may go to a 8" lower with an ATI balancer this winter, also considered having the blower refreshed and turned into a D1X. Blower is at least 7-8 years old. Bigger IC, bigger lower, and D1X upgrade should make it real nice but even now 800whp is fine and I don't want to spend anymore $ at the moment lol
No idea what a glanzer tube is lol but if the IC isn't blocked then it sucks. 190* on 13psi is terrible, especially on a one gear dyno pull.

Prochargers dont start working well until they are spun over their "max rpm", its only over that arbitrary max when you are at peak RPM which is a tiny percent of the time. It also makes the whole powerband better spinning it faster.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (06-11-2022)

Quick Reply: G8 - 408, LSA Heads, D1SC, E85