Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

402 ls2 Solid Roller Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
I wonder if a cathedral would have been better on this. Your new combo is making power, but you changed so much-more compression/solid roller/etc, it's hard to pin point what is working vs what may have been better. I think your old combo was pretty good for what it was. I think it would have been interesting to see the solid roller on a set of a TEA TFS 225's with the ported MSD. I do think the LS3 port is better, but the results show about 99% of the time on the 4.000 bore stuff it's a fight to make it work all the way. Look at Johnny Stock's SBE LS3 build. 600whp, less cubes, less compression, less cam but had a manual trans/light flywheel. I'm just guessing, but I think if it was apples/apples on the two builds, I would guess there is 50whp or so difference in the drivetrain. Dynos are different too, so that's always a factor. What headers/exhaust are on yours? I keep seeing the bigger 2in headers w/3.5 collectors becoming the crossover point on the wow builds, especially on strokers.
Cathedrals would not achieve what I was looking for within my budget constraints because I needed a quality shorter runner manifold, but not too short. The ls3 fast can utilize a shorter medium runner, shorter than the msd but not bleed too much torque. I don't want to use a sniper, didn't want to cut the car up for a high ram and can't afford a custom sheet metal intake. I am using tsp 1-7/8 headers and 3" dumped duals. I personally don't think cathedrals would have been the move here.
Could be wrong though. Hard to say. What I did was utilized some formulas provided by Darin Morgan (externally, I did not work with him at all) and that's how I came up with the flow I needed and csa and some other things. This motor makes quite a bit of torque even with the biggish cam and rec heads with short runners.

Last edited by B4CMaro; 01-02-2024 at 06:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by B4CMaro:
02EBC5Z06 (01-02-2024), DualQuadDave (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
This Hammer's, Speedtigger and Helicoil's 416 build are my favorite LS3 builds. Speedtiggers was the only one putting up 700fwhp with a 4.000 bore and his was solid roller/Dart heads/single plane. You gotta have a lot of lift (.700+) to make LS3 heads work the way they should and I think that is why Johnny's worked so well. Hammer's and B4C's here are the only time I have seen a Fast LS3 intake make power. I keep wanting to buy a small bore LS3 head and tweak it to make it perfection a 4.000 bore, but I keep running the numbers and a small bore LS7 Higgins 4.000 head makes more sense. I would love to try the Edelbrock small bore LS3 heads too, but would have to be at the right price point. For an otb box head, for the $$$ the TEA TFS 225 is real tough to beat. I think there is power left in the intake manifold on most cathedral apps, too. Those heads have so much air speed, I don't think you can feed them enough. I think that is why most stroker cathedral motors don't make all the power, not enough intake/cam to support the extra cubes.
If I had to do it over again I would not buy the trickflow ls3s. Valve spring pocket size is limited. I would want to go with a head that can use a mucher larger spring so I could've used a more aggressive cam profile.
The following 2 users liked this post by B4CMaro:
02EBC5Z06 (01-02-2024), DualQuadDave (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by B4CMaro
Cathedrals would not achieve what I was looking for within my budget constraints because I needed a quality shorter runner manifold, but not too short. The ls3 fast can utilize a shorter medium runner, shorter than the msd but not bleed too much torque. I don't want to use a sniper, didn't want to cut the car up for a high ram and can't afford a custom sheet metal intake. I am using tsp 1-7/8 headers and 3" dumped duals. I personally don't think cathedrals would have been the move here.
Could be wrong though. Hard to say. What I did was utilized some formulas provided by Darin Morgan (externally, I did not work with him at all) and that's how I came up with the flow I needed and csa and some other things. This motor makes quite a bit of torque even with the biggish cam and rec heads with short runners.
I think your math was good, and I understand why you did what did. I have been in indecision mode for too long on my own combo's. Just too many choices. I am fortunate to not have a hood issue since I am building trucks. If you end up changing heads again, Mast is supposed to be coming out with an as cast small bore LS3 head which may have the big spring option you want. Another thought is the Higgins 4.000 LS7 head and use the CBM intake adapters and keep the Fast intake. Just from what I have seen, all the wow combos on 4.000 bore stuff all use 2.08-2135 valve size, with one exception and that has literally a hand built one of a kind head that used a 2.20(valve centers moved, lots of tricks). You may try the Moroso .030 bbc head dowels and shift the head over some to give the intake valve even more room. Just a thought. The 2in headers would probably be next step too.
The following users liked this post:
02EBC5Z06 (01-02-2024)

Quick Reply: 402 ls2 Solid Roller Dyno Results