Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

g5x4 cam only dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
Oops, I quoted the wrong post

haha, it's cool. Nothing else to really argue about at this point.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I disagree, the dynojet tries its best but still falls short. That's why everyone here dynos about 10-15rwhp more in the winter compared to the summer.
I highly doubt that. But if you have to, look at what littlefurrybush had to say about the weather in the original post. If he and you guys did not notice, the temperature has been mid 60's as a high this entire week. So why are we even discussing the weather? Also, NO this cannot be accepted as "cam only" because this is not a zo6! The thread starter failed to mention the engine swap in the original post. Seriously, could I swap a 502 in my car, fail to mention it, slap a cam in it and go on cz28 and say it is cam only putting down 500rwhp?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Freaklt1
I highly doubt that. But if you have to, look at what littlefurrybush had to say about the weather in the original post. If he and you guys did not notice, the temperature has been mid 60's as a high this entire week. So why are we even discussing the weather? Also, NO this cannot be accepted as "cam only" because this is not a zo6! The thread starter failed to mention the engine swap in the original post. Seriously, could I swap a 502 in my car, fail to mention it, slap a cam in it and go on cz28 and say it is cam only putting down 500rwhp?
the weather now should be good so this would be optimal dyno time (numberwise).

Mike, you sound rediculous. The only real power making difference between an LS1 with a G5X4 cam and LS6 with a G5X4 cam is the heads which give about a 10rwhp gain. Regardless it's still a cam only car, because the heads are stock and untouched although it's an LS6 motor.

We're talking about two motors, nearly identical (sans heads) with the same cubes here, and you are trying to compare it to you swapping a 502ci motor in your car .

Quit overexaggerating and beating a dead horse.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run 31 degrees on 93, that makes the most power.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

10rwhp diff or 100rwhp diff, it's still not cam only

01-z, you got ls6 heads on your car? better throw them on there and reclaim the fastest cam only record!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by madpwr1

01-z, you got ls6 heads on your car? better throw them on there and reclaim the fastest cam only record!
oh right, so I can't have the highest dynoing heads/cam stock cubed 4th gen in AZ because I have LS6 heads, or I can't have the fastest stock cubed NA times in AZ either....

Well crap, an LSX intake isn't stock either but does that mean those cars don't qualify for any of your coveted records?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by madpwr1

It's gonna take more than just LS6 heads for him to reclaim that record right now...

And once again....can we keep this one on topic?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

oh right, so I can't have the highest dynoing heads/cam stock cubed 4th gen in AZ because I have LS6 heads, or I can't have the fastest stock cubed NA times in AZ either....

Well crap, an LSX intake isn't stock either but does that mean those cars don't qualify for any of your coveted records?
The line has to be drawn somewhere. It is generally accepted that cam only means the engine retains it's stock heads, and the engine reside in the car it came in. Do any of the cars on the cam only dyno/track lists have LS6 heads (just curious)? Most people wouldn't qualify his car for any of the F-Body cam only lists.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
The line has to be drawn somewhere. It is generally accepted that cam only means the engine retains it's stock heads, and the engine reside in the car it came in. Do any of the cars on the cam only dyno/track lists have LS6 heads (just curious)? Most people wouldn't qualify his car for any of the F-Body cam only lists.

I must agree on this. 5.3, 6.0, or LS6 heads are not stock heads.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

He bought a crate engine and slipped in a cam. End of story. Drop it. He's not competeing for the fastest cam only time, or the highest cam only dyno. This thread is about a cam only LS6 head car. Let it be that way and
Old 02-16-2005, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueSix
He bought a crate engine and slipped in a cam. End of story. Drop it. He's not competeing for the fastest cam only time, or the highest cam only dyno. This thread is about a cam only LS6 head car. Let it be that way and
No **** he's not competing for any of these. The issue of whether it's stock headed has come up. The thread has taken a different turn, fkn deal with it or stay out of the thread if you can't.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

No **** he's not competing for any of these. The issue of whether it's stock headed has come up. The thread has taken a different turn, fkn deal with it or stay out of the thread if you can't.
The LS6 heads are untouched. It's stock heads.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

I would just like to say that if I saw this post and the heads didnt come up and I bought this cam expecting to make the same power (with the other mods) and it didnt I would be pissed.
Its crap like this that disappoints people when they buy products.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

The LS6 heads are untouched. It's stock heads.
I understand that. But, had I not brought the issue of the heads up, everyone would have assumed (and rightfully so) that we were talking about a cam only LS1. That's been my whole point and not a tough one to grasp.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
I would just like to say that if I saw this post and the heads didnt come up and I bought this cam expecting to make the same power (with the other mods) and it didnt I would be pissed.
Its crap like this that disappoints people when they buy products.
If you bought a cam based on only one thread about dyno numbers and were disappointed, then you would have no one to be pissed at but yourself.

It should take a lot more than one dyno run to be enough to convince someone to buy a cam.

What's important here, is that this cam only car on a very conservative tune, driven for the first time by it's new owner, was 3mph faster than any of the other cam only cars (albeit LS1 headed) at the track last Sunday. That's proof in the pudding for me.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

The cam makes the power, no doubt. It's what 01-Z runs in his cam only Z28. That cam in a stock LS1 head car will make great power if you dyno/tuned it in a part of the country with better air and gas.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by madhatter
I must agree on this. 5.3, 6.0, or LS6 heads are not stock heads.
newb, you own an LT1, what do you know

J/K Shaun
Old 02-16-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

newb, you own an LT1, what do you know

J/K Shaun

Eat **** midget!

You would think after knowing me for 3 years you could spell my name too.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by madhatter
Eat **** midget!

You would think after knowing me for 3 years you could spell my name too.
Watch it fatty.... I know it's Sean...I wasn't paying attention when I typed ! Better watch your back or I'm going to fling one of the phone books I sit on at you when I drive by
Old 02-16-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Watch it fatty.... I know it's Sean...I wasn't paying attention when I typed ! Better watch your back or I'm going to fling one of the phone books I sit on at you when I drive by

Bring it Dark Helmet!

Quick Reply: g5x4 cam only dyno