Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

potential setup, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default potential setup, few questions

Wasn't sure where to post this, since there's no "what do you think of this setup" forum (btw, may be ls1tech should have one of those?) .. but, before i spend a lot of $ i wanted to know your guy's opinion on my potential setup (after a few months of research here..)

car to start from: 2000 T/A (non ram air), a4.

1. Patriot Stage II Center bolt LS 4.8-5.3L Ported Heads Assembly
2. TR224 on a 114 lsa
3. Vigilante 3200 rpm stall torque converter
4. magnaflow catback
5. 90mm LSX f.a.s.t. intake & 90mm TB
6. a lid. haven't decided which, but from what i gather a lid is a lid
7. autometer dual guage setup (will need to know tranny temp because of the stall, for instance)
8. a tune by TTP

what do you think of this, and what are the times do you think i could expect from this setup?
also, what will the drivability be like? will this sound like a sewing machine? will it eat more gas than it already does (even stock it eats quite a bit, since its an a4..)?

any more input?

thanks for whatever you guys will, without a doubt, dish out on me..
Old 03-10-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt ....
Old 03-10-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you should be able to go mid 11s with that setup. what gears do you got now?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3. Vigilante 3200 rpm stall torque converter
Have you drive a car w/ one of these? I have, they seem too "loose" to me. You step on the gas, the motor tachs, and then you wait for the speedo to catch up with the revs. It's all personal preference, but I prefer a tighter feeling converter like my Yank.

2. TR224 on a 114 lsa
Seems kinda mild to me, I would opt for something slightly bigger like a TSP Tourquer. Again, your call.

Also, I didn't notice a set of LT headers in your list. I wouldn't waste my time doing heads & cam w/o a set of LT's - you'd be leaving plenty of power on the table.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
you should be able to go mid 11s with that setup. what gears do you got now?
stock gears for an a4: 2.73 according to the little sticker on the door
Old 03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Have you drive a car w/ one of these? I have, they seem too "loose" to me. You step on the gas, the motor tachs, and then you wait for the speedo to catch up with the revs. It's all personal preference, but I prefer a tighter feeling converter like my Yank.

Seems kinda mild to me, I would opt for something slightly bigger like a TSP Tourquer. Again, your call.

Also, I didn't notice a set of LT headers in your list. I wouldn't waste my time doing heads & cam w/o a set of LT's - you'd be leaving plenty of power on the table.
haven't driven one yet, but hoping to drive one this saturday at the TTP dyno meet. i'd never buy something without having at least a test-drive experience with it

TSP Tourquer: what are the specs on that cam? and the reason i went (at least in my mind, so far) with a 224/224 on a 114, is because this is a daily driver (except for snowy days). i also dont want my valve train sounding like i have a textile mill under the hood.

how does the tsp tourquer make the valvetrain sound? and is there much lope ?

LTs yes.. i forgot to list those. sorry. although, i'm still not sure whether ill do LTs or not.. emissions and all that crap..i need to remain street legal
Old 03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

TSP Torquer

As far as camshafts go... from what I have seen, cars w/ 220 cams have just as much surge at idle as 230+ duration cams. It has to do with the IAC, a few tuners I spoke with told me they were "finicky." I am looking at the TSP Magic Stick for my daily driver, I'm not afriad of a decent sized cam for a DD.

The cams w/ bad valvetrain noise are the Comp XE-R grinds from what I gather.

The gears... they will work, but I swapped my original 2.73's for 3.42's and I like how much better the car feels in around town driving vs. the stock gears. If you don't do LT's, at least do MAC midlengths.

Good luck with your future set up.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
stock gears for an a4: 2.73 according to the little sticker on the door
They have the gears on the door? Sweet.

A4's came in 2.73 and 3.23.

You should be sitting nicely in the 11's with that setup. As long as you have some long tubes.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

GU2 = 2.73, GU5 = 3.23 for A4's, and GU6 = 3.42 in an M6 car. Just in case you ever wondered Keenov.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:16 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a nice set up for the street. You should see 11's. IMO, I would skip on the FAST and stick with a LS6 intake.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WOT
Sounds like a nice set up for the street. You should see 11's. IMO, I would skip on the FAST and stick with a LS6 intake.
I would also skip the fast and go with a LS6 intake and a ported throttle body.

Also LT headers and y-pipe is a must with a H/C car. You will be leaving alot of HP on the table.

For stall I have a TCI and very happy with it so far. A must is also a trans cooler and I would also go with a trans-go shift kit.

I just finished doing about everything you said you where looking into doing and very pleased with my set-up.

Goodluck