Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Highest horsepower - 5.7L???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30th t/a,
Don't hurt his feelings! After all he did pay cash for the car and wasted a butt load on those rims.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Holy crap, the tq.......either someone gave you the run-around on a dyno sheet, or you have got yourself a stroker motor.

Could be, the previous owner said he replaced the shortblock w/ one that had forged rods and pistons. He didn't say anything about it being a stroker though....
Old 03-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by YsoFast
30th t/a,
Don't hurt his feelings! After all he did pay cash for the car and wasted a butt load on those rims.

How much would you pay for the car....honestly.....if it had only 17K miles??
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

yea and going by the rpms you peaked at, theres no way thats a na 346 with a x2 cam. the rpms are way to low.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by EATAZ06MMM
What is the highest rwhp that you have heard of for a 5.7L (non-stroker) motor w/ no nitrous or supercharger/turbo?As far as I can tell, 450 rwhp is about all you can get out of these motors.....
I understand that Allan's 347 makes 550rwhp n/a and is somewhat driveable on the street.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the shortblock had to be replaced, it was probably ran pretty hard. You'd have a hard time getting me to pay anything over $20K

Think about it, at 17k miles, the motor is just getting worn in. Imagine how hard it had to be run to have to "replace the shortblock"
Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

if the shortblock had to be replaced, it was probably ran pretty hard. You'd have a hard time getting me to pay anything over $20K

Think about it, at 17k miles, the motor is just getting worn in. Imagine how hard it had to be run to have to "replace the shortblock"

Thats exactly what I paid - 20K. Rims and all. I thought it was a fair deal considering the rims. I get alot of coments on them.

The new motor has 7k miles on it. As you pointed out, may have been run hard though, so only 7k miles doesn't mean much.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
I understand that Allan's 347 makes 550rwhp n/a and is somewhat driveable on the street.
Somewhat driveable on the street, Ha. Seems like that is getting more and more common with these "street" cars. Someone made a remark about Harlan's car being a street car. The response was yeah he drives it on the street but it has a parachute. This thread has gone a bit far, so in summary I am going to answer the original question 500whp is ABOUT the realistic ceiling for a street car with stock cubes, 93 octane, hydraulic roller less than .625 lift, no power adders, no dope and no quantam drive. I think I covered it all.

Brandon
Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Somewhat driveable on the street, Ha. Seems like that is getting more and more common with these "street" cars. Someone made a remark about Harlan's car being a street car. The response was yeah he drives it on the street but it has a parachute. This thread has gone a bit far, so in summary I am going to answer the original question 500whp is ABOUT the realistic ceiling for a street car with stock cubes, 93 octane, hydraulic roller less than .625 lift, no power adders, no dope and no quantam drive. I think I covered it all.

Brandon

no, I'm jsut kidding, that was well said, and I'm ready to move on
Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Who said you have to replace a short block because it is trashed? Guys on here seem to swap motors as much as they change underwear, maybe more for some. He may have thrown a forged shortblock in so it would stand a 250 shot and 7500 rpm, then sold the original motor for a fair shake. Totally common.

Brandon
Old 03-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

Brandon
Great!!!! Lets end this thread!!! Thanks alot guys for answering my questions!! 500 it is!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

Who said you have to replace a short block because it is trashed? Guys on here seem to swap motors as much as they change underwear, maybe more for some. He may have thrown a forged shortblock in so it would stand a 250 shot and 7500 rpm, then sold the original motor for a fair shake. Totally common.

Brandon

Touche'
Old 03-16-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Allan drove his car back and forth to work for 2 weeks straight just about a month ago while the Tahoe was being worked on. So yes, it is a street car.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
i want to make sure i get this straight, you have a h/c NA 346 with a m6 and your making these numbers in this dyno graph???

?http://community.webshots.com/photo/...96783024QdczKl im going to have to raise the . theres noway a 346, h/c N/A, m6 is making that much torque.
Of course it's BS. No way a 346 is making 450rwtq from 3200-4800rpms.

The torque curve also looks a bit odd because the scaling is different for hp vs. tq.

I love all the smack this guy is talking and he doesn't even know squat about his own car.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by verbs
Of course it's BS. No way a 346 is making 450rwtq from 3200-4800rpms.

The torque curve also looks a bit odd because the scaling is different for hp vs. tq.

I love all the smack this guy is talking and he doesn't even know squat about his own car.

Ok, thats it!! when did I ever...ever.......EVER SAY I had a 346!!!! Huh?? I dare you to go back through ALL of the posts and find where I stated that I had a 346?????

I am out of here. No wonder half of you still live at home w/ mommie and daddy. Your too stupid to make it on your own.

I'm OUT!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, thats it!! when did I ever...ever.......EVER SAY I had a 346!!!! Huh?? I dare you to go back through ALL of the posts and find where I stated that I had a 346?????

I am out of here. No wonder half of you still live at home w/ mommie and daddy. Your too stupid to make it on your own.

I'm OUT!!!!!!!!!

Could be, the previous owner said he replaced the shortblock w/ one that had forged rods and pistons. He didn't say anything about it being a stroker though....

Have fun bench racing on the "other" sites!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:28 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
Yeah, I don't think Allan ever dynos his car though, he's too busy working on other peoples cars.
Yea, mine.

The original post asks about maximum n/a 347 rwhp, but does not limit it to street cars. This question came up a few months ago and a number of people felt like a 347 could make over 600 rwhp with high compression and leaded gas. I agree.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm OUT!!!!!!!!!
Well lets see, you said it's not a stroker

And no way an all bore is making that much torque down low, and you said yourself that it was an n/a dynograph, so yeah, you don't have a 346 if that is your n/a dyno graph.

It looks like a stroker dyno graph if it's N/A like you claimed. Again, you are either clueless or full of it because a month ago you posted:

I just bought a '98 Trans Am last week. Has all the goodies....Stage 2 heads...G5 cam (nice lope)...etc etc. The previous owner says the output is 403 rwhp w/o juice
Now, we all know a car making 403rwhp all motor with heads/cam is going to make about 370-380rwtq. I find it amazing that on your "new" dyno graph you posted a month later, you all of a sudden picked up 40rwhp/80-90 rwtq compared to how much power the car supposedly made when you got it a month ago. Sounds like you're spraying a small shot of nitrous on the dyno.

I've been out of my parents house since I was 18 and I'm doing just great thanks.

Last edited by verbs; 03-16-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the whole point of building an all out pump gas 346 that isn't drivable anyway?

Hell, F1 cars are making >900hp on 3 liters of V8. That is N/A with pump gas. So they idle at 5k and redline at 20k.

You can make probably 700whp with a n/a 11:1 346. It wouldn't be at all driveable and have a 1k rpm powerband that starts at 6k but with enough money (READ 10s of thousands maybe more) Anything is possible.

If you're out to make power...why limit yourself to the hard way?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much would you pay for the car....honestly.....if it had only 17K miles??
Well 20k is not bad seeing that allot of us have way more than that in our cars but it would have been smart to know exactly what was done to it. The main problem here is the way you are presenting your self to us. You come off like a rich ***** that went out and spent a bunch of $$ for a car and you think it will take on the world. Then when some people pointed out that your dyno sheet didn't match what your build you changed the build on us. Well that is my feeling on this anyhow.

This board has a wealth of knowledge but we don't like to put up with attitudes to much.