Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

mustang vs. dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mustang vs. dynojet

Just wondering (since the only dynos that genarally fit my awd silverado ss are mustang) what kind of drivetrain loss percentage you see from a mustang dyno compared to a dynojet etc. I was thinking that I might see 2-3% more loss from a mustang compared to others.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adams2003
Just wondering (since the only dynos that genarally fit my awd silverado ss are mustang) what kind of drivetrain loss percentage you see from a mustang dyno compared to a dynojet etc. I was thinking that I might see 2-3% more loss from a mustang compared to others.
i always heard they dynoed about 20 horsepower less. but i could be wrong also.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... this again...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynojet will average about 50 ponies higher than a Mustang dyno.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Temple, TX Resident

wow that could explain why i only dynoed 318 horsepower on a mustang dyno .... if it really is that much of a difference that is
Old 06-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

if you dynoed 318 on a md with the vehicle simulator on a dynojet 248 you would do. 362.52
Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Default mustang vs dyno jet

Ok here is my 2 cents worth, DYNO ARE GREAT FOR TUNNING, ITS EASIER TO TUNE WHILE SITTING STILL. We run sand cars with ls1 and 5 spd fortin trans, I have had my ffhp 408 dynoed at 350 hp and 350 tq on a mustang dyno, kind of crap me out, the dyno operater who has been dynoing cars in phoenix az for ( well he is really and old guy ) 20 plus years stated that on a dyno jet it would turn 450 and 450 or better. This was are first season with the car and we really wanted a big fast car. Ad hoc drags are run in the dunes in southern california on all major weekends in the winter. We have a couple of big engine builders for sand rails, all claiming 500 plus hp at the crank (and also some claim at the wheels on a dyno jet) so how is it that my measly 350 mustang ponies will walk all over these cars, Im talking 3 4 and 5 car lenghts in roughly a 1/4 mile. We also have a direct port zex system jetted for 175 and have won and lost by half a car to numerous ls1 twin turbo putting down 700 plus hp. So my point would be tune on the dyno and run at the track!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill be street tuning my car with a wide band 02 and hp tuners, after its complete, ill go and dyno the car to see the results. i dont believe in dyno tuning only. dyno tuning is based on wide open pulls after the car has sat and cooled off. dyno tuning is being done under conditions that the car WILL NOT EVER BE DRIVEN AT. street tuning under normal operating condtions makes more sense to me. different speeds, different rpms, different gears, getting as many different variables as possible while tuning the car with current data in outside open air. i had my car dyno tuned by 21st CMC in carrollton texas and it blew the **** up 2k miles later. no warranty on it because it was a used ati procharger, installed and tuned by andy@21st CMC. not sure why he had so many problems tuning my car, i took it back 3 days after picking it up. he had to retune the MAF. they did several other ati prochargers on other peoples cars that drove back over 1000 miles to their home and never had the problems i did. i know 21st has a great reputation on their h/c, maggie and twin turbo set ups. you pay an arm and a leg for 24k mile warranty with all of their setups.

after my experience, street tune with a wide band 02 and a laptop. then hit the dyno cross check the results. thats what im doing this time around. and im going speed density too.

like what has been said, regardless of what the dyno reads, take it to the street and strip. if your happy with the way the car performs then have fun with it. i wasnt happy with the blower, i sold it. building a LS2 403 that should be in the car and running by mid july.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Load dynos are for the loss
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the staff at SVC in Scottsdale, AZ, their Mustang Dyno reads stock terminator cobras at 300RWHP. Those read 365-375 on a dynojet.

Just putting that out there...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Default dyno calibration

Im sure dyno's need to be calibrated. But how often does this happen and can there be big difference in the calibration from one dyno to the next.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

so is it the the mustang dyno reads low, or that the dynojet reads high? which one is closer to being correct?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

mustang dyno puts out numbers your car is actually pouting down while your on the street or racing on the drag strip.. dyno jet numbers are just what numbers it took you to spin there dyno rollers and gives you the number it takes to move that mass ( IE the drums) again its all in what kind of tool you like..I like MD since i don't have to worry about getting up at 130 mph and leaning out.. most DJ tuners leave a factor in it for the road conditions.. but why have to guess at it?? you tune a car to 13.0 on a DJ and then put a wide band in the car then someone tell me what ya get.. then do the same on a MD and you will see the difference.. NOTE this is more visible on real light cars. or heavy cars and trucks..
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2muchTA4U
mustang dyno puts out numbers your car is actually pouting down while your on the street or racing on the drag strip.. dyno jet numbers are just what numbers it took you to spin there dyno rollers and gives you the number it takes to move that mass ( IE the drums) again its all in what kind of tool you like..I like MD since i don't have to worry about getting up at 130 mph and leaning out.. most DJ tuners leave a factor in it for the road conditions.. but why have to guess at it?? you tune a car to 13.0 on a DJ and then put a wide band in the car then someone tell me what ya get.. then do the same on a MD and you will see the difference.. NOTE this is more visible on real light cars. or heavy cars and trucks..
i agree, atleast hats what ive heard, mustang dynos load the car as if it were on the street, dynojets dont load the car, which would obviously make u more power.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1charged
i agree, atleast hats what ive heard, mustang dynos load the car as if it were on the street, dynojets dont load the car, which would obviously make u more power.
..... It is really not that simple! If the dyno loads more it does not mean you are going to "show" less power. Most often it will be the other way around. There are MANY differences in a load bearing dyno such as Mustang compared to Dynojet. One difference is that about the only thing the have in common is the word "DYNO". They are two TOTALLY different tools using totally different methods to arrive at a hp/tq figure. The Mustang "measures" torque by a strain gauge/load cell and the Dynojet "calculates" HP by software/math in simple terms.

Back to the loading. Mostly when you increase the load during a pull you are slowing the rate of acceleration down which will "show" more measured TQ because you are not using it to accelerate the driveline as fast. This applies to all load dyno's be it a chassis dyno or engine dyno. Running an engine at 300 rpm/sec will show less power than 100 rpm/sec, a step test or steady state pull.

This is a very basic explaination but you get the idea.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey DynoDR, or better yet, how about the crate engine company advertising their HP/TQ results in a leading car magazine article using the reverse sweep method. When I first seen the numbers I thought they defied the laws of physics until I read the proceedure used. At least they explained the proceedure but how many readers understood it?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dynocar
Hey DynoDR, or better yet, how about the crate engine company advertising their HP/TQ results in a leading car magazine article using the reverse sweep method. When I first seen the numbers I thought they defied the laws of physics until I read the proceedure used. At least they explained the proceedure but how many readers understood it?
Two that I know of! LOL!
Oh, but if it was corrected........
Old 06-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

i have always seen about a 12% differance on my car and same with other supras at an event last year.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

12% is what we state to customers that wonder how much higher the DJs in our area read higher and it has always been pretty close. Some Mustangs read lower then ours and here is possibly why. The Mustang literature or factory people do not explain that a dyno should use "absolute" rather then "altitude corrected" barometric pressure readings. "Altitude corrected" is what the TV weatherperson or most guages provide. But if the dyno is installed at any location other then sea level, their readings will be off, too low if above sea level. In our case, we are at approx 1000 ft above sea level and this correct proceedure added approx 5% to our readings. This way a dyno will provide the same readings if installed at Pikes Peak as one at sea level, in thoery.

Originally Posted by Supra_devil
i have always seen about a 12% differance on my car and same with other supras at an event last year.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dynocar
12% is what we state to customers that wonder how much higher the DJs in our area read higher and it has always been pretty close. Some Mustangs read lower then ours and here is possibly why. The Mustang literature or factory people do not explain that a dyno should use "absolute" rather then "altitude corrected" barometric pressure readings. "Altitude corrected" is what the TV weatherperson or most guages provide. But if the dyno is installed at any location other then sea level, their readings will be off, too low if above sea level. In our case, we are at approx 1000 ft above sea level and this correct proceedure added approx 5% to our readings. This way a dyno will provide the same readings if installed at Pikes Peak as one at sea level, in thoery.
which dyno would u prefer then to get the closest possible number(accurate) to what the car is actually making to the wheels?

Quick Reply: mustang vs. dynojet