Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

FMS F13 cam LS1 manifold

Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMS F13 cam LS1 manifold

I have slp intake, flowtech long tubes, y pipe, 3" catback, and 3400 fuddle (unlocked). I just had the cam and valvetrain put in... On a mustang dyno with incomplete tune i was making 297whp at 4800rpms i think. After that my fuel pump cuts out and power plummets. Exotic Performance plus is putting in a new fuel pump tomorrow and going to finish my tune. I hope for 350whp but i dont know if its going to make it. a little down the road i am going to swap the torque converter for a locking one and get ls6 manifold.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Teching In

With new fuel pump I am up to 311whp..tune isnt finished yet but i dont expect much more.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

that is kinda low even for a a4 on a mustang
Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BLAKE 01 WS6
that is kinda low even for a a4 on a mustang
You have to understand this is a unlocked converter, hp numbers will generally be low.

As Loaf said, his fuel pump went out and that caused a delay in the complete tune. At around 4k the fuel pressure dropped to about 38psi. After swapping in a 255lph pump we are at 60psi again.

Another thing to factor in here is the car has 2.73 gears and the combination of gears and a loose converter is going to make dyno results that arent really comparable to cars that are standards.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Well im pretty upset now. I picked my car up and the final tune saw 299.4whp at 6200rpms ill post dyno graphs in the morning. to make matters worse i went to the track on the way home and ran a 13.9@102.9 Now i royally screwed up the launch and could of easily got a low 13.. but 102.9mph WTF.

I am going to swap the Torque converter for a full lock up and do a compression test. something IS NOT right

Also the tune is shady. my car made 297WHP with bad fuel pump at 4800 now it makes 268 with a walbro fuel pump at 4800 and 299.4 at 6200.. what gives? If i made 297 at 4800 i should of at least had 320-330 at 6200 i think. Ill worry about the tune later... but i spent so much money and basically my car is fast as it was when it was bone stock.

When i first got the car it ran 13.4@105.9 on a hot day. not cool night like tonight. So im going to check compression and stuff see if there is a larger issue.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by loaf
Well im pretty upset now. I picked my car up and the final tune saw 299.4whp at 6200rpms ill post dyno graphs in the morning. to make matters worse i went to the track on the way home and ran a 13.9@102.9 Now i royally screwed up the launch and could of easily got a low 13.. but 102.9mph WTF.

I am going to swap the Torque converter for a full lock up and do a compression test. something IS NOT right

Also the tune is shady. my car made 297WHP with bad fuel pump at 4800 now it makes 268 with a walbro fuel pump at 4800 and 299.4 at 6200.. what gives? If i made 297 at 4800 i should of at least had 320-330 at 6200 i think. Ill worry about the tune later... but i spent so much money and basically my car is fast as it was when it was bone stock.

When i first got the car it ran 13.4@105.9 on a hot day. not cool night like tonight. So im going to check compression and stuff see if there is a larger issue.
The tune is not shady. Your car will not pull through the rpm range on our dyno with your big cam and the 2.73 gear, so we had to use 2nd gear for the pulls. This is a very classic example of what happens when you add a big cam before adding gears. Combined with the loose converter, you're not going to see good dyno numbers. My brother's '95 formula, with a 4000 stall converter only puts out 368 rwhp on my dyno, yet the car runs 11.32 at 118 mph at the track.
As soon as you add some gear to your car, the cam is going to make a huge difference. I'd go with 3:73 gears, which will make a dramatic difference. Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

I agree, the tune is not shady etc...Just a classic example of a mismatched combo.

I see several reasons for the low dyno numbers:

-The car is a stalled automatic.
-It was dynoed unlocked(would have been higher locked).
-It was on a mustang dyno, which always read noticeably lower when compared to a dynojet.
-The stock ls1 intake is hurting your performance as well, the car would benefit from an ls6 or better intake. Just as you increased exhaust flow, you need to increase intake flow as well.

Also, as mentioned above, with an F13 the car won't be able to get out of its own way with 2.73's. IMO, with that cam the car needs at least 3.42's.

Just finish sorting the combo out and it should all come together. The car will never be a dyno queen, but it should run hard at the track once everything is sorted out.

Also, aren't all 4L60E converters locking? They just don't lock under WOT?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The tune is not shady. Your car will not pull through the rpm range on our dyno with your big cam and the 2.73 gear, so we had to use 2nd gear for the pulls. This is a very classic example of what happens when you add a big cam before adding gears. Combined with the loose converter, you're not going to see good dyno numbers. My brother's '95 formula, with a 4000 stall converter only puts out 368 rwhp on my dyno, yet the car runs 11.32 at 118 mph at the track.
As soon as you add some gear to your car, the cam is going to make a huge difference. I'd go with 3:73 gears, which will make a dramatic difference. Bob
I can confirm this. In 3rd gear (where you have 1:1 ratio) you get the higher Horse Power numbers. But, with the 2.73 gears the car will go above 200 mph on the dyno to get through the rpm range, this is why it had to be done in 2nd gear. A lot of dynos do not go up to 200 mph and would suspect that is the case with the Mustang dyno. Put some 3.73 gears in there and see what you get then. It will make a big difference.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
I can confirm this. In 3rd gear (where you have 1:1 ratio) you get the higher Horse Power numbers. But, with the 2.73 gears the car will go above 200 mph on the dyno to get through the rpm range, this is why it had to be done in 2nd gear. A lot of dynos do not go up to 200 mph and would suspect that is the case with the Mustang dyno. Put some 3.73 gears in there and see what you get then. It will make a big difference.
The Mustang Dyno will actually go to 225 mph, but the 2.73 gear with the big cam just couldn't pull through it on the loaded dyno. On an unloaded dyno such as a DynoJet, where you don't actually have the resistance of wind drag, vehicle weight, etc on the rollers, the 2.73 gears would probably pull third gear. Basically, if the combination doesn't work on our dyno, it's not going to work out on the streets. This car needs gears!!!! Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

in this case, i think the dyno numbers are irrelevent. the car's REAL TIME track performance is horrible, but why? i've seen other cammed, stalled, 273 geared cars run just fine, only lacking a decent 60' due to the gears. i think it's in the stall converter. you can't properly tune a car that has an underachieving stall converter, period. swap converters and get it retuned, i think you will be surprised...sans anything major like low compression / poor leakdown results.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The Mustang Dyno will actually go to 225 mph, but the 2.73 gear with the big cam just couldn't pull through it on the loaded dyno. On an unloaded dyno such as a DynoJet, where you don't actually have the resistance of wind drag, vehicle weight, etc on the rollers, the 2.73 gears would probably pull third gear. Basically, if the combination doesn't work on our dyno, it's not going to work out on the streets. This car needs gears!!!! Bob
That makes since, we have had a couple of cars on a dynojet with similar setups and 2.73 gears. It took long time to get through the rpms, I can just imagine what it would have been like if they had some load on it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

The Only thing that confuses me about the tune is i made 297whp at 4800rpms with a bad fuel pump then with a good fuel pump i made 268whp at 4800 and a peak of 299.4

Now last night I did notice something. The dyno I have is dated 09/01 2:24pm which was before they were done. I called them around 2:50pm and bob told me i was at 311whp and they were still working on it. Maybe i have an earlier dyno sheet?

I didnt mean to say you guys were shady, I believe you guys know what you are doing I was just confused with my results. The car is faster, and I should have the torque converter swapped out within two weeks. Ill post new quarter mile results at that point.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Was the previous 297whp @ 4800 in 2nd gear also?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Teching In

That I don't know. I didnt even know they did it in 2nd gear to begin with. If not then at least i know why the numbers are different. Hopefully I will be ordering the TC tomorrow and have it in before the tracks close. I would really like to see a trap speed of at least 110mph.

Even driving it sometimes it pulls like crazy and sometimes feels kinda like stock.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:48 PM
FormerVendor

That I don't know. I didnt even know they did it in 2nd gear to begin with. If not then at least i know why the numbers are different. Hopefully I will be ordering the TC tomorrow and have it in before the tracks close. I would really like to see a trap speed of at least 110mph.

Even driving it sometimes it pulls like crazy and sometimes feels kinda like stock.
Is it quick in the lower gears and then when in 3rd it feels slower? If so this is pretty much a case of a mis matched combo. I would throw some 3.73 or 4.10 gears in that rear and see what you gain from that, it should pickup quite a bit.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

The Only thing that confuses me about the tune is i made 297whp at 4800rpms with a bad fuel pump then with a good fuel pump i made 268whp at 4800 and a peak of 299.4

Now last night I did notice something. The dyno I have is dated 09/01 2:24pm which was before they were done. I called them around 2:50pm and bob told me i was at 311whp and they were still working on it. Maybe i have an earlier dyno sheet?

I didnt mean to say you guys were shady, I believe you guys know what you are doing I was just confused with my results. The car is faster, and I should have the torque converter swapped out within two weeks. Ill post new quarter mile results at that point.
We were using 3rd gear when we discovered your car was running out of fuel. Once we had the fuel pump installed, and we were back on the dyno, past 5000 rpm the car just would not pull. We attempted it several times, and that was when we decided to pull it in 2nd gear. That is why the dyno sheets are different. I have no idea about the time thing on the dyno, perhaps Brent didn't get anymore power out of it after you had called, or the computer's time needs to be adjusted.
In any case, your car will be much faster once you get a converter in it that locks up, and I would swap it over to 3:73 gears in the rear. Those 2.73 gears are killing the bottom and mid range power with your camshaft. Bob
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll add to everyone's comments here and agree again with the combo being off. I personally have a F13 and with the right combo it is a deadly combination. If it makes you feel any better, my car on a dynojet with a 224 cam did 378, on Bob's dyno she only made 333hp. This is with a M6. I don't think it is the tune. What was your 60' on that run btw? I'll also add that I have had Flowtech headers and they suck. That with the intake I would say isn't allowing that cam to breath like it needs to. What Y and catback is on the car?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just had a TR224/112cam put in and it only did 320(unlocked)on a dynojet.I was kinda disappointed,but what was holding me back was my intake and exhaust.I use to have a loud mouth then(before the cam) I put in aflowmaster(loved the sound but the car felt weeker.Well after the cam results I yanked out the flowmaster put in a dyno max bullit(dynomouth) and I can tell a big difference,then took out the ls1 manifold and put in an ls6,ported the throttle body,new maf and well holy ****!!!It made adifference.So I was just curious as to what exaust,intake you have?I do deff. think you need more gearing for that size cam.I have 3:23 in mine.I was gonna go with abigger cam at thunderracing,but when you look at their site it tells you what size gear you need and stall size for the larger cam.I would get the gears,and address the intake exhaust for that cam,and remember those are unlocked numbers on a mustang dyno you are on dont get caught up chasing numbers on adyno with an A4,but deff.get the gears.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

I had a FM 13 also, Great cam!
What is the LSA and advance of your cam?
Try to find a use 10 bolt out of a M6 they come with a 3.42 gear.
That will add alot to your set-up.
Bob
Old 09-06-2006, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlickVert
I had a FM 13 also, Great cam!
What is the LSA and advance of your cam?
Try to find a use 10 bolt out of a M6 they come with a 3.42 gear.
That will add alot to your set-up.
Bob
+1 i sold mine to my friend with an a4, i think it's the perfect gear for a4. 2100@70, almost identical to 4.11's w/m6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FMS F13 cam LS1 manifold