Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

700hp. n/a 427

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700hp. n/a 427

I'm wondering how many of you guys have made 700hp n/a on a engine dyno?
Over the last 2 years we have tried almost everything for a hyd. cam street engine. The best we have done is with L92 heads and a custom sheet-medal intake and the numbers are 670hp. 570 tq. I know guys are doing it with a solid roller setup but we are trying to do it with a hyd. cam. Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you would give some of the things you have done to the engine...compression and cam specs, stock or ported heads. We could give some intelligent suggestions.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 AM
9 Second Club

you must be limited to a certain type of fuel also right?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Teching In

We did 647 on 92 and 670 100. 34 deg. of timing. Started with 11.7-12.3 and finally 12.8 to 1 compression.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trail 70
I'm wondering how many of you guys have made 700hp n/a on a engine dyno?
Over the last 2 years we have tried almost everything for a hyd. cam street engine. The best we have done is with L92 heads and a custom sheet-medal intake and the numbers are 670hp. 570 tq. I know guys are doing it with a solid roller setup but we are trying to do it with a hyd. cam. Thanks
With those cubes there should be no problem.

I know we just took that 372 ci LS1 up to 724 with the ignition still not 100%. And its a NITROUS motor on that with Hell Fire rings!

It can be done with hydraulic too. Install a rev kit and spec you a nasty hydraulic cam setup. You really have to deal with people in the industry that do motors day in and day out. Know what kind of CFM it takes to make that kind of power. The heads need to flow somewhere around 350cfm to make 700 hp n/a on an engine dyno. The whole package must be efficient and work together. sounds like youve got some mis-matched parts working in your motor.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

We did 647 on 92 and 670 100. 34 deg. of timing. Started with 11.7-12.3 and finally 12.8 to 1 compression.
What plugs are you running? Why so rich in the A/F of the thing?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
What plugs are you running? Why so rich in the A/F of the thing?
I think that those are the compression numbers.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Teching In

The engine was built by TPIS. That's 12.8 to 1 compression, not air fuel ratio. The first setup was a 427 4.125 stroke with ls1 heads and tpis 90mm throttle body with a modified ls6 intake. We have tried many different heads and intakes including AFR and fast intakes. The new engine has ported L92 heads and a custom sheet medal intake. The cam setup is alot different and we found retarding cam timing help alot. I just got a set of trick flows for a customers car, I'm thinking of trying these. What I'm looking for is to see if any one has done it. Not just saying it is possible. Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

The engine was built by TPIS. That's 12.8 to 1 compression, not air fuel ratio. The first setup was a 427 4.125 stroke with ls1 heads and tpis 90mm throttle body with a modified ls6 intake. We have tried many different heads and intakes including AFR and fast intakes. The new engine has ported L92 heads and a custom sheet medal intake. The cam setup is alot different and we found retarding cam timing help alot. I just got a set of trick flows for a customers car, I'm thinking of trying these. What I'm looking for is to see if any one has done it. Not just saying it is possible. Thanks
Yes its been done. You never answered the main question. What spark plugs. With that compression ratio you should have at the LEAST and NGK 9 in the thing or equivalent. If you are running a Tr6, you ARENT gonna make dick for N/A power because if you get brave and lean on the tunes with that plug you will destroy parts. Put some cold plugs in it, lean on the tune with timing and some fueling changes and you should get it. You just need to consult someone that knows how to use Hydraulic Cams to make power...Lofting the cam comes to mind with a Rev Kit. Options are limitless. Finding someone who knows how to get to your goals, thats the hard part. Creativity and knowledge are huge in this area.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Teching In

V-6 Bird. I'm embaressed to say that with over 50 dyno pulls, they have all been made with TR-6 or bosch plugs. I'm especially mad with myself since I have been running blower cars with tr-8 and tr-9 since 1998. I will try this on a dyno soon. Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

V-6 Bird. I'm embaressed to say that with over 50 dyno pulls, they have all been made with TR-6 or bosch plugs. I'm especially mad with myself since I have been running blower cars with tr-8 and tr-9 since 1998. I will try this on a dyno soon. Thanks
Unfortunately power will be limited with that plug, when listening and seeing signs of detonation. They act like glow plugs!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Yes its been done. You never answered the main question. What spark plugs. With that compression ratio you should have at the LEAST and NGK 9 in the thing or equivalent. If you are running a Tr6, you ARENT gonna make dick for N/A power because if you get brave and lean on the tunes with that plug you will destroy parts. Put some cold plugs in it, lean on the tune with timing and some fueling changes and you should get it. You just need to consult someone that knows how to use Hydraulic Cams to make power...Lofting the cam comes to mind with a Rev Kit. Options are limitless. Finding someone who knows how to get to your goals, thats the hard part. Creativity and knowledge are huge in this area.

Who has done a 700hp hyd (427) motor???????????????????????
Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Who has done a 700hp hyd (427) motor???????????????????????
The same shop that built the 372ci Solid roller. It was a 396 hydraulic for another underground street racer. If you use good parts and match them well, this **** is cake walk. Most customers put too many stipulations on their builds. For instance, stock like idle, or pass emission etc. Be realistic for a second. It doesnt take 400+ ci to make that kind of power. Not many have actually maximized anything because the customer usually brings all the supports and wants joe blow to assemble it.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Teching In

People's idea of a street engine vary alot. I saw the pictures of the 372 very nice piece. I drive this vehicle alot, last summer I put on 10000 miles and driving it 600 miles round trip to go racing. We made our power with stock water pump, stock coils and wires, stock o.e.m rockers, and stock oil pan. This is what I consider a street engine. Race engines are easier to make a big peak number then a engine you can drive on the street in the real world. That is why it's been so very hard and expensive to try to hit the magic 700hp. number.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

People's idea of a street engine vary alot. I saw the pictures of the 372 very nice piece. I drive this vehicle alot, last summer I put on 10000 miles and driving it 600 miles round trip to go racing. We made our power with stock water pump, stock coils and wires, stock o.e.m rockers, and stock oil pan. This is what I consider a street engine. Race engines are easier to make a big peak number then a engine you can drive on the street in the real world. That is why it's been so very hard and expensive to try to hit the magic 700hp. number.
You'd really be surprised at how its not as hard as you guys seem to think. The big key is in the valvetrain area. Get stablity there and then a good set of heads made for your project and the 350CFM+ needed at a specific lift to get you there. There should be no problem with a sheetmetal intake, those heads if they truly flow good and a well thought out cam. You're just working with some not so "creative" people in getting the goals you want. Sounds like you are trying to be cheap to get the power level you want. Thats a problem in itself.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Since not one person in the world has said they have done it. I guess TPIS and myself have done a dame good job especially using "cheap" parts. People always talk such a big game just like the guys that I blow the doors off street racing. Like I said in the first post I'm looking for guys that have done it, not just talking about it. I'm sure 700hp. is possible otherwise I would have not spent the time or money trying. All ideas are worth nothing unless you prove it on a dyno or at the track. One of my very good friends owns a portable chassis dyno and travels the U.S.A, and I have seen 1200 to 1400 cars on the dyno and I know how much B.S is out there. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since not one person in the world has said they have done it. I guess TPIS and myself have done a dame good job especially using "cheap" parts. People always talk such a big game just like the guys that I blow the doors off street racing. Like I said in the first post I'm looking for guys that have done it, not just talking about it. I'm sure 700hp. is possible otherwise I would have not spent the time or money trying. All ideas are worth nothing unless you prove it on a dyno or at the track. One of my very good friends owns a portable chassis dyno and travels the U.S.A, and I have seen 1200 to 1400 cars on the dyno and I know how much B.S is out there. Thanks for the ideas.
I already said it had been done, with a hydraulic and less cubes then what you have!!!

Creative valvetrain got him there running the hydraulic stuff. Another thing, how much power do you think these GM motors make that run the Road series in those vettes?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I already said it had been done, with a hydraulic and less cubes then what you have!!!

Creative valvetrain got him there running the hydraulic stuff. Another thing, how much power do you think these GM motors make that run the Road series in those vettes?
If you are so sure its been done, then why don't you enlighten us oh Godly One!
Or are the details "super secret"?

I believe TPIS does some work with race teams, so I think they know what they are doing.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We are working on a TFS 4.125" bore head and are trying to get it to go 290+ @ .400" and 330 @ .500", if we can get these numbers, you should be able that much power with a hyd roller cam. Like was said before, the key is valve train stability, too much ramp speed and lift causes loss in peak power. Of course, we never have used any rev kits, I'm sure they would make the faster ramp speed stuff work better. Good luck, and wish us luck too!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
We are working on a TFS 4.125" bore head and are trying to get it to go 290+ @ .400" and 330 @ .500", if we can get these numbers, you should be able that much power with a hyd roller cam. Like was said before, the key is valve train stability, too much ramp speed and lift causes loss in peak power. Of course, we never have used any rev kits, I'm sure they would make the faster ramp speed stuff work better. Good luck, and wish us luck too!
Cathedral stuff or LS7/L92 style ports Brian?