Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Viper question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie83
I'm interested to see what they will be able to do with the new Viper's variable valve timing.

It is good to see that they discovered a way to apply vvt for OHV's. Hopefully GM will have a version out soon.
GM had it before Dodge check out the Escalade engine. It has a 6.2l OHV w/vvt, it was the first of its kind.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Black02SLPSS;8014168]
Originally Posted by Killemall
So cam work on the LS1 is a no brainer...Cam work on the Viper is totally differant...

A no brainer eh? Granted i have yet to do a cam swap on my ls1 but i will be undertaking this in the future, but both the Viper V10 and the LS1 are both pushrod engines right? Only difference being that the ls1 has 2 less cylinders. So how would it be completely different other than having 4 more valves, rockers, springs (unless they use a dual spring then it would be 8), pushrods, lifters and having a longer camshaft? Not trying to start an arguement but saying that swapping cams on two similar engines that operate on the same valve train basis being completely different from eachother is a little wierd. But thats just me. If im wrong then please educate, im always game for learning something new.

Yes t is a no brainer...

Look.Ive had three differant cams in my 2004 C5. The stock cam..An LS6 cam..And then a 224/224 cam..

My buddies all have done cams in there Fbody/vette LS1's..I can find a thousand post of not only cam users but specific post on wich cam seems to be the best..

The Viper is 100% differant. Theyre arent a lot of people doing it ( there really arent a lot Of Vipers period..As a matter of fact Im ery sure that there are more cmmed LS1's in the world than there are actual Vipers)..

So it's really scary to jump into...

Just yesterday I decided that after this thread I was gonna put a new cam in my Viper...

The first choice was the 708 cam ( I already had this stock cam in my 99 Viper and I think that maybe It's worth 5-10 rwhp MAX) so Iaint doing it..

The 2 choice was the competition coupe cam ( the cam in the non street legal racing Viper) But after researching it ...It seems this this cam is aonly worth 10-15 rwhp MAX...

So why even bother unless Im gonna go with a HUGE LUMPY cam..And this iswhy Ithin Viper guys stay away from the cam and just go heads/FI..

Who wants there 70-90K Viper idling like a wet dog?????

Now these first 2 cams that only produce around 10 rwhp or so...Seem to make more power with some had work..And while the heads are off why no spend 400$ and throw the cam in...

But as far as cam only...Well it's ot like the LS1 were you an go from 300 rwhp to 340 rwhp with just a cam change.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Killemall;8048936]
Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS

Yes t is a no brainer...

Look.Ive had three differant cams in my 2004 C5. The stock cam..An LS6 cam..And then a 224/224 cam..

My buddies all have done cams in there Fbody/vette LS1's..I can find a thousand post of not only cam users but specific post on wich cam seems to be the best..

The Viper is 100% differant. Theyre arent a lot of people doing it ( there really arent a lot Of Vipers period..As a matter of fact Im ery sure that there are more cmmed LS1's in the world than there are actual Vipers)..

So it's really scary to jump into...

Just yesterday I decided that after this thread I was gonna put a new cam in my Viper...

The first choice was the 708 cam ( I already had this stock cam in my 99 Viper and I think that maybe It's worth 5-10 rwhp MAX) so Iaint doing it..

The 2 choice was the competition coupe cam ( the cam in the non street legal racing Viper) But after researching it ...It seems this this cam is aonly worth 10-15 rwhp MAX...

So why even bother unless Im gonna go with a HUGE LUMPY cam..And this iswhy Ithin Viper guys stay away from the cam and just go heads/FI..

Who wants there 70-90K Viper idling like a wet dog?????

Now these first 2 cams that only produce around 10 rwhp or so...Seem to make more power with some had work..And while the heads are off why no spend 400$ and throw the cam in...

But as far as cam only...Well it's ot like the LS1 were you an go from 300 rwhp to 340 rwhp with just a cam change.
So what you are saying is that there are only 2 streetable cam choices for a viper??

That sucks. Glad I bought a f-body.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Well...The car makes 450 rwhp bone stock..Thats about 150 more rwhp than an fbody..So you have to look at the big picture. Not just a part..

Im gonna investigate this further, and see what i can find..If there's a cam out there that will give me a solid 30 PLUS rwhp and still drive/idle half decent then I may do it.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killemall
Well...The car makes 450 rwhp bone stock..Thats about 150 more rwhp than an fbody..So you have to look at the big picture. Not just a part..

Im gonna investigate this further, and see what i can find..If there's a cam out there that will give me a solid 30 PLUS rwhp and still drive/idle half decent then I may do it.
What are the specs for the 2 cams you listed??
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Ive read that the comp coupe cam is a 224/224 ( wich I would imagine is pretty wimpy for a 505 CI engine)

But then the Viper engine is more like two 5 cylinder engines working together than an full on 10 cylinder ( from what Ive read) so what the hell do I know..

id assume that a 23x/23x should be no problem...I know there are some custom comp grinds out there but the specs never seem available or discussed..
Old 11-04-2007, 02:11 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

just some food for thought.....

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...per-612-a.html
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

Got the final numbers on our 2002 Viper with the Roe Racing S/C. 597rwhp and 628rwtq, weather corrected on our Mustang MD-1100SE dyno. How does 585rwtq at 2500rpm sound?

Quick Reply: Viper question