Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno Results. Formato LS2 vs Fast 90!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see if I can talk him into letting us port it and do some back to back with it before we do the camshaft. I'm sure he would be game.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your camshaft specs don't jive with the manifold tunning. That why when you change to a manfiold with a different tunning band you are getting these increases.

here is a 347ci motor with a stock ls6 intake, stock 78mm TB, stock rockers ported 243 heads and just the right camshaft. Of course everyone here would kill to make this kind of power with a head cam 6speed car using mostly stock parts.

On a mustang dyno to boot to.

Things to ponder guys.

Originally Posted by John02SS
I'll see if I can talk him into letting us port it and do some back to back with it before we do the camshaft. I'm sure he would be game.
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Results.  Formato LS2 vs Fast 90!-wtf.jpg  
Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

nice gains!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1curious
Your camshaft specs don't jive with the manifold tunning. That why when you change to a manfiold with a different tunning band you are getting these increases.

here is a 347ci motor with a stock ls6 intake, stock 78mm TB, stock rockers ported 243 heads and just the right camshaft. Of course everyone here would kill to make this kind of power with a head cam 6speed car using mostly stock parts.

Things to ponder guys.
Not sure what you mean by my cam specs are off as I haven't mentioned any cam specs. I said I would do a ported test on the motor before and cam change was done and never mentioned any specs. To each thier own I guess.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All of these really popular cams that I have had cross the rollers have got narrow short powerbands with really agressive peaks. The intake runners are not happy with the bulk of those camshafts.

Funny I have seen 540whp come out of the ls2 intake on my roller with a Heads and cam 6.0 usuing similar parts to the graph I posted.

The fast intake can work its just that it favors different cam profiles then the ls6 and ls2 intakes. you are comparing apples to oranges.

Originally Posted by John02SS
Not sure what you mean by my cam specs are off as I haven't mentioned any cam specs. I said I would do a ported test on the motor before and cam change was done and never mentioned any specs. To each thier own I guess.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

All of these really popular cams that I have had cross the rollers have got narrow short powerbands with really agressive peaks. The intake runners are not happy with the bulk of those camshafts.

Funny I have seen 540whp come out of the ls2 intake on my roller with a Heads and cam 6.0 usuing similar parts to the graph I posted.

The fast intake can work its just that it favors different cam profiles then the ls6 and ls2 intakes. you are comparing apples to oranges.
not all applications are purely race, some of us actually have to drive these cars on the street. My cam might or the OP's cam might not be perfectly matched to the flow characteristics of the intake perfectly, but mine still drives like the day i bought it. Most people pick a cam designed to fit their goals, most of the time that doesnt include a max effort solid roller setup...A properly ported fast will pretty much always net you more power than an LS6 and LS2, especially if matched properly with the right cylinder heads.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm the owner of the car John02SS posted. Thanks for the tune John. Of course, I'll certainly allow a port job when the time comes for the cam....though like you say, it would be better to do the two separately to see the before and after. I'm going to test the car in the 1/8th tomorrow night, good weather but not the best for our local, ill prepped track.

Not sure where this came from or I'm missing something. This post has nothing to do with any cams, it's a before and after, a stock FAST vs ported stock intake. It's apples to apples as far as that goes. BTW, without any tuning, the car made 407rwhp/405rwtq.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice numbers after the swap John keep up the good work buddy.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Things to ponder guys.

Or that dyno is funky. Ive seen it dozens of times, the Mustang units are good, if they are cal'd right. There are so many variables in their calibration that many of the newer stuff is not. I get cars in from the same exact dyno that we have, come out 20-80 hp lower on ours. Long ago as two years, recent ago as last week.

On my dyno an auto 346 car wont make more than 330-345 lbs of torque, I think one made 345 once. Since these dynos dont show the converter flash like dynojet you get a decent feel for how much torque it IS making at peak, and a given displacement will make about equal torque. On our dyno 1 rear wheel ft lb per inch is doing pretty good with the auto drivelines. So your 500/400 is probably more like 430/335 on our particular Mustang. Still very good I might say! If it made 500 in actuality it would trap 132-136 like the bigger inch stuff weve run
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wrong. If you look back in ls1tech history you can find numerous reports of no gains and a few rare reports of less power. The manifolds are not bad. The problem is matching the manifold and the camshaft and the cylinder head.

Each has its own application and timming profiles that work best for each application. there is no one size fits all.

Originally Posted by ExTurbo
not all applications are purely race, some of us actually have to drive these cars on the street. My cam might or the OP's cam might not be perfectly matched to the flow characteristics of the intake perfectly, but mine still drives like the day i bought it. Most people pick a cam designed to fit their goals, most of the time that doesnt include a max effort solid roller setup...A properly ported fast will pretty much always net you more power than an LS6 and LS2, especially if matched properly with the right cylinder heads.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Recalled by mustang every 1yr. The dyno is just fine.

If you are getting varied readings from other mustang dyno be suspcious of tach pickup problems. Will cuase all kinds of chaos. Not just yours but other operators as well.

that car does trap in the upper 120's. Not really at liberty to say how fast its been. Fact is thats the most stout Head and cam car I have ever seen.

I can tell you an MS4 car barely eeks out 420 on our rollers. that should be enough info for you to figure out the calibration disparity. It also peaks at 6220 with a ls6 and 6385 with a fast 90mm.

for instance our rollers tell one of our customers he has a 690whp mustang. Car goes 8.90's.

Its a pretty accurate machine.

Pm me if you want to trade graphs. I would also be willing to go over your tach input setup to see if you have an issue with RPM reporting.

That car shown is a m6 car with a 3.15 rear gear. Seems to bolster the TQ output with the higher gearings. Also has always does. I have tested that exstensivly. straigth gear changes on m6 equipeed cars. depending on the rear in use it can move TQ by 20-30 ft lbs.

Fact is if you make 400hp with a a4 car your running high 10's low 11's on our rollers. Its not a liberal machine by any strecth never has been.

this particular machine is a 1750DE thats kept up and maintained by a guy who builds dynos for the big3. this machine is so consistent we have dynoed cars 3 years apart just to recheck our baselines and been within 1.5% everytime.

Do you benchmark your dyno ? doubtful.

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Or that dyno is funky. Ive seen it dozens of times, the Mustang units are good, if they are cal'd right. There are so many variables in their calibration that many of the newer stuff is not. I get cars in from the same exact dyno that we have, come out 20-80 hp lower on ours. Long ago as two years, recent ago as last week.

On my dyno an auto 346 car wont make more than 330-345 lbs of torque, I think one made 345 once. Since these dynos dont show the converter flash like dynojet you get a decent feel for how much torque it IS making at peak, and a given displacement will make about equal torque. On our dyno 1 rear wheel ft lb per inch is doing pretty good with the auto drivelines. So your 500/400 is probably more like 430/335 on our particular Mustang. Still very good I might say! If it made 500 in actuality it would trap 132-136 like the bigger inch stuff weve run
Old 03-29-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the bus drove right by you. How did you miss it. each manifold ls1 ls6 Fast favors different cam timming. they all have there strengths and weakness's. thats all I was getting at. But please take offense. it is far easier to act like a juvenille *** then it is to try to have an Honest discussion about the parts involved in the testing you did.

Originally Posted by bunk22
I'm the owner of the car John02SS posted. Thanks for the tune John. Of course, I'll certainly allow a port job when the time comes for the cam....though like you say, it would be better to do the two separately to see the before and after. I'm going to test the car in the 1/8th tomorrow night, good weather but not the best for our local, ill prepped track.

Not sure where this came from or I'm missing something. This post has nothing to do with any cams, it's a before and after, a stock FAST vs ported stock intake. It's apples to apples as far as that goes. BTW, without any tuning, the car made 407rwhp/405rwtq.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wrong. If you look back in ls1tech history you can find numerous reports of no gains and a few rare reports of less power.
Here is my research on the subject: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=collins+sean

I'm glad that you have figured out how to port the LS2 manifold and match your engine combo's. Bottom line is that not everyone will support the theory about the manifolds, lets not start the debate all over again.

Last edited by 1997bird; 03-29-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:25 AM
9 Second Club

LS2s are a bummer
Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't port them. Why would a guy need to ? I can atest to nothing more then flash cleanup. Again its back to the facts at hand. this test is not a good test except to validate that this parts combination prefers a FAST intake. Nothing more.

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Here is my research on the subject: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=collins+sean

I'm glad that you have figured out how to port the LS2 manifold and match your engine combo's. Bottom line is that not everyone will support the theory about the manifolds, lets not start the debate all over again.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

works better over 6400 then a fast has as far as I have seen. Depends on the application.

Originally Posted by SuperZ
LS2s are a bummer
Old 03-29-2008, 04:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bus drove right by you. How did you miss it. each manifold ls1 ls6 Fast favors different cam timming. they all have there strengths and weakness's. thats all I was getting at. But please take offense. it is far easier to act like a juvenille *** then it is to try to have an Honest discussion about the parts involved in the testing you did.
I have a question for you (not to be a smart ***). What cam specs does a FAST 90 prefer with a good set of heads vs an LS2 intake cam spec? Please give examples of both. If you don't want to post them in the thread you can PM me.

Thanks
Jon
Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Wrong. If you look back in ls1tech history you can find numerous reports of no gains and a few rare reports of less power. The manifolds are not bad. The problem is matching the manifold and the camshaft and the cylinder head.

Each has its own application and timming profiles that work best for each application. there is no one size fits all.

I have seen some cases where people home ported fast intakes and lost power, however when properly installed and or ported 99% of the time a fast is going to make power over an LS6. I'll give you your 1% though
Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Hey pot, have you met kettle? I've got a stock cam with a new FAST vs a ported LS2 intake, which was the point of this thread. However, thanks captain obvious, the FAST and different cams have different strengths and weaknesses. Start your own thread if thats what you want to discuss. It's obvious I'm not the one who took offense, afterall, who's calling who a "juvenile ***" though I spelled juvenile correctly. If you can't handle it, stop your crying and go elsewhere As a matter of fact, can anyone find where I was juvenile and took offense in this quote:

Originally Posted by bunk22
Anyone? Sounds like someone is a bit insecure. Get over it and leave the thread if you're so bothered by that
Old 03-29-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't port them. Why would a guy need to ? I can atest to nothing more then flash cleanup. Again its back to the facts at hand. this test is not a good test except to validate that this parts combination prefers a FAST intake. Nothing more.
Because they are not that good of a intake before/after porting. Read through my link that I supplied, there are some top mechanics in there telling you that you are full of it!

Quick Reply: Dyno Results. Formato LS2 vs Fast 90!