Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

More ZR1 Dyno Numbers with EFILive Tune and ARH Headers!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
I believe GM put this out there for those that open track their vehicles. Quick bursts here and there are far different than consistant WOT over a 2-4 mile track, over and over.

I think you hit the nail on the head, GM was being VERY conservative

I really hope so, not that Im buying one..lol.

I know they intentionally made the pulley very difficult to remove for a reason since that would be a pretty repair bill under warranty. I wonder why they run an 87mm tb instead of the 90? It cant be throttle response, not with that blower.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car was totally sick It was cool to finally see one in action at the shop. Can't wait to see what the next couple of steps are for these cars
Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to know what a "conservative" tune is. Does anyone know the afr, timing, iats, idc's anything specfic?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Sick and spendy!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
I would love to know what a "conservative" tune is. Does anyone know the afr, timing, iats, idc's anything specfic?
11.2-11.5 on AFR and timing is stock. AFR was extremely rich from the factory.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice any ideas on what the stock timing is? what size injectors are in the car i would imagine 50lb or 60? Any thing else leaked about the tune?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are some nice numbers.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Nice numbers! Something to realize though, GM said the intercooler system is NOT sufficient to add boost at this point. So for someone to perform a pulley swap and add boost, its going to create too much heat. They may not be as modable with the FI as we are used to with 03 Cobras/Ford GT's.

Maybe a different intercooler assembly/blower(intercooler)assembly may get them there. Maybe GM was being too conservative with thier advice to the aftermarket with the intercooler capacity. We will see Im sure.

Id take a C6Z with the MTI blower over the ZR1 anyday.
You say that, but I think you'd be dead wrong to think a Z06 with an aftermarket blower would be better. Perhaps in a straight line it MIGHT keep up, but I don't really think a Z06 has a chance without say a DPE upgrade or maybe something along those lines.

That ZR-1 is so much better in the handling department. Think about it...a full 17 seconds faster in ONE lap around the Ring. That's a HUGE difference. The extra 30K for that car is completely justified as far as the times/performance goes. It will run 10's easy and out handle the Z06 without breaking a sweat and does it all more comfortably.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
I believe GM put this out there for those that open track their vehicles. Quick bursts here and there are far different than consistant WOT over a 2-4 mile track, over and over.

I think you hit the nail on the head, GM was being VERY conservative
Fortinitly I was one of the NON GM ppl to get that opportunity to drive the ZR1 on VIR and Road America this past summer. National Corvette Museum's High Performance Drivers Events.

25 min sessions, 3 times a day for two days. each time. I got to ride / instruct the GM employee who had Zr1. and I did get to drive the ZR1 for several sessions in addition.

the ZR1 was driven quite hard, but not flogged to death. 25 min sessions of 3000 to 6000 rpms, 3 times every 3,27 miles on VIR or every 4 times every 4 miles on Road America

The ZR1s acceleration from 50 to 160 mph is incredible. ( 2nd to 5th gears) Smooth and fast. I did have the ZR1 up into the low 170s on VIRs back straight. but do not know exactly how fast. I was a bit busy watching where I was going, then hard on the brakes, downshift 5-4 30* left hander, Even harder on the brakes 4-3 dowshift 160* right hander and back on the throttle, tap the brakes, Left, right long sweeping right on the thottle down the front straight to 150 mph, then hard on the brakes, downshift 5-4-3, 180* right hander and roll the thottle past the apex and go

Oh No major heat sink issues. Car seem to run just fine lap after lap after lap. The only thing they said was DONT CRASH, not my car so I dont drive it that hard anyway. and keep and eye on the oil pressure and let us know what it was. 10 psi per thousand rpms.

From 30 to 100 mph most Z06s could stay with the ZR1, but over 100, the ZR1 would pull away.

I like the ZR1s transmission ratio, tall first gear and close ratio 2-5. and 6th really is not that high either. 3.42 rear end.

Yes the Zr1s aerodynamics do make a big difference too.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

^ i'm glad somebody uses this car as it was intended.

i don't care what these cars run in a 1/4 mile burst, and anyone that buys a ZR1 to 1/4 mile race it is wasting an awsome car.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

I want a short block ls9! I think gm got it right this time!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

1/4 mile runs please!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
You say that, but I think you'd be dead wrong to think a Z06 with an aftermarket blower would be better. Perhaps in a straight line it MIGHT keep up, but I don't really think a Z06 has a chance without say a DPE upgrade or maybe something along those lines.

That ZR-1 is so much better in the handling department. Think about it...a full 17 seconds faster in ONE lap around the Ring. That's a HUGE difference. The extra 30K for that car is completely justified as far as the times/performance goes. It will run 10's easy and out handle the Z06 without breaking a sweat and does it all more comfortably.
A used C6Z with the s/c is still only about 50% the price of the ZR1, thats really all I was getting at from my standpoint. I could care less what the ZR1 does on the track, I never race on the track so saving the $50K would be fine with me. I also think the Z06 looks better, but thats just me.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
1/4 mile runs please!
The ZR1s trans has a tall first gear of 2.29 with that 3.42 gear. So 0-60 & 1/4s may not be as fast as ppl would like them to be. Plus the TC & TM will limit tire spin.

the ZR1 is a road car / Luxury Sports touring car
Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AU N EGL how were those brakes on the ZR1? It would be nice to see the difference in lap times from stock ZR1 to Mild boltons like the headers a intake and tune. And with Lou Gigliotti behind the wheel of it
Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
AU N EGL how were those brakes on the ZR1? It would be nice to see the difference in lap times from stock ZR1 to Mild boltons like the headers a intake and tune. And with Lou Gigliotti behind the wheel of it
I'd like to see Lou behind the wheel of on the new ZR1's as well. Break her in for the first 500-1000 miles, change all fluids and hand her over to Lou.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
the Brembo CCB ( carbon Ceramic Brakes) are different. For 99.99% of all drivers, they are fantastic. But they are not track or racing brakes. Stopping cars has more to do with how wide the front and how sticky the front tires are then the rotors and bake pads

The brakes did stop very very well. ( I like to hear my brakes ) so that was a minor challenge. Plus going into the brake zones deeper, and faster then I normally do did take a bit to get use too as well.

CCBs need heat to stop properly. try to do a hard stop on cold rotors and pads, and they dont work as well as rotors and pads that are hot from repeated use.

I do have a video from a friend of mine in his Z06 chasing a ZR1 around Road America. His Z06 had Hoosier Rs and Stoptech brakes and differnt mufflers.

The ZR1 was driven by a very competent driver. The two cars chassed around Road America for a full 25 min session

The ZR1 could not get away from the Z06. Most do to traffic. ( something you drag racings arnt use too. Coming up behind slower cars on track. 160mph vs 140 mph

Around many of the corners the ZR1 would accelerate away from the Z06, but the Z06 would slowly real him back in. Most do to slower traffic on the track and two different braking styles of the drivers. The ZR1 driver used more the endurance style of braking, a little sooner. The ZO6 driver was like myself, deep into the brake zone and very very hard braking.

Since the video is not mine ( from my car) I can not post it.

The Mich PS2 tires were very very good. Those tires took each session lap after lap after lap and still had lots of grip.

The only thing I dont like about the ZR1, and I did relay this back to Chevy ppl were the wheels. I believe all corvettes should come with 18" wheels on all corners, and no chrome. Not just the ZR1, but the Z06 and the C6 as well.

This is me driving at VIR

They broke these motors in by assembly, dyno and take to the track for several hundred miles, No ***** footed break in period. Pull the heads off and take a look at everything. Put them back together drive them hard again. Plus now put on several 1000 miles of highway and street driving, then back to the track for some hard driving. All this to give the car a proper shake down and work out any bugs before sales to the public. Much of this shake down also help make minor changes in the 2009 Z06 as well.

Chevy hit a Winner with the ZR1.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-07-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I'd like to see Lou behind the wheel of on the new ZR1's as well. Break her in for the first 500-1000 miles, change all fluids and hand her over to Lou.
Bring a Ringer GTR with their best driver vs a intake/header/tune ZR1 with Lou at VIR for 100 Laps That would be awesome!!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the Brembo CCB ( carbon Ceramic Brakes) are different. For 99.99% of all drivers, they are fantastic. But they are not track or racing brakes. Stopping cars has more to do with how wide the front and how sticky the front tires are then the rotors and bake pads

The brakes did stop very very well. ( I like to hear my brakes ) so that was a minor challenge. Plus going into the brake zones deeper, and faster then I normally do did take a bit to get use too as well.

CCBs need heat to stop properly. try to do a hard stop on cold rotors and pads, and they dont work as well as rotors and pads that are hot from repeated use.

I do have a video from a friend of mine in his Z06 chasing a ZR1 around Road America. His Z06 had Hoosier Rs and Stoptech brakes and differnt mufflers.

The ZR1 was driven by a very competent driver. The two cars chassed around Road America for a full 25 min session

The ZR1 could not get away from the Z06. Most do to traffic. ( something you drag racings arnt use too. Coming up behind slower cars on track. 160mph vs 140 mph

Around many of the corners the ZR1 would accelerate away from the Z06, but the Z06 would slowly real him back in. Most do to slower traffic on the track and two different braking styles of the drivers. The ZR1 driver used more the endurance style of braking, a little sooner. The ZO6 driver was like myself, deep into the brake zone and very very hard braking.

Since the video is not mine ( from my car) I can not post it.

The Mich PS2 tires were very very good. Those tires took each session lap after lap after lap and still had lots of grip.

The only thing I dont like about the ZR1, and I did relay this back to Chevy ppl were the wheels. I believe all corvettes should come with 18" wheels on all corners, and no chrome. Not just the ZR1, but the Z06 and the C6 as well.

This is me driving at VIR
Awesome bro and thanks for the nice write up!! I would like to take my goat to VIR once I complete some suspension and brake mods that I have been slacking on. How did you get into going to VIR ?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over 500ftlbs from 2000-6000rpm! Nice

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: More ZR1 Dyno Numbers with EFILive Tune and ARH Headers!