Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

stock ls1 vs stall/full bolt on lt1

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
This is the bench racing forum! Don't ask for results!!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill pm you the results soon or start a new thread. I just got done with the header install. It took forever. i ran into so many problems. my oil dipstick is so f'ed up you wouldn't believe it. I had to go pick up a new one. I should post a pic of it. the first header bolt on passenger side is only half way in because its stripped. anyways everything else went good. I got a mail in order from steve at lsx tune and she seems to run good. Loud as hell though with no catback just the y pipe. lol
Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
ill pm you the results soon or start a new thread. I just got done with the header install. It took forever. i ran into so many problems. my oil dipstick is so f'ed up you wouldn't believe it. I had to go pick up a new one. I should post a pic of it. the first header bolt on passenger side is only half way in because its stripped. anyways everything else went good. I got a mail in order from steve at lsx tune and she seems to run good. Loud as hell though with no catback just the y pipe. lol
awesome! let us know..
Old 10-18-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the race went down tonight. I called him up and asked if he wanted to run. He said for $200 he will go right now. I told him I'd call him back soon. so basically i came to the conclusion that his car must be faster than mine or he wouldn't have wanted to race for that much. I called him back up and said I wanted to race but no cash since he wouldn't tell me his mods (I told him mine). I have LT's,Y,catback,ls6 mani, slp lid, mail order tune. He agreed and we met up. His car(lt1 z28) was loud and told me he had 2800 stall, exhaust and something that i'll find out later. We went from a 25 roll, 3 honks and he got the first hit. I instantly started pulling, and shut down before 3rd gear. I had a solid bus length on him. He wanted to go again from 50, and it only got worse. I get next to him and said so what was I supposed to find out. He goes "I guess nothing, I never have been pulled like that buy an ls1." I then just turned off and left. He called me asking what else I had done and told him seriously just everything I told you. He didnt believe me but said good race after all.

Oh BTW, I had 2 passengers he had none. He even asked me if I was going to actually run him 3 deep and I said if I lose then I have an excuse.lol

Last edited by fbodyman1026; 10-18-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

So the race went down tonight. I called him up and asked if he wanted to run. He said for $200 he will go right now. I told him I'd call him back soon. so basically i came to the conclusion that his car must be faster than mine or he wouldn't have wanted to race for that much. I called him back up and said I wanted to race but no cash since he wouldn't tell me his mods (I told him mine). I have LT's,Y,catback,ls6 mani, slp lid, mail order tune. He agreed and we met up. His car(lt1 z28) was loud and told me he had 2800 stall, exhaust and something that i'll find out later. We went from a 25 roll, 3 honks and he got the first hit. I instantly started pulling, and shut down before 3rd gear. I had a solid bus length on him. He wanted to go again from 50, and it only got worse. I get next to him and said so what was I supposed to find out. He goes "I guess nothing, I never have been pulled like that buy an ls1." I then just turned off and left. He called me asking what else I had done and told him seriously just everything I told you. He didnt believe me but said good race after all.

Oh BTW, I had 2 passengers he had none. He even asked me if I was going to actually run him 3 deep and I said if I lose then I have an excuse.lol

awesome man!!! told ya you were gonna win... and i would have DEFINITELY told you to race for money... regardless if you knew his mods..

im sorry, but lt1s from a roll just dont really stand a chance.. from a dig they have a lot better.. but still usually get ran down real quick.....

**im not saying lt1s can never outrun an ls1..... but a mild built lt1 and a full exhaust ls1 or equal... ls1 almost every time...

you had two passengers! hahahahahahahaha!

told ya you should race him, now and then later too!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12
your going to win from a roll...
i thought i called this... lol

ive raced my share of cars!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an LT1 moron that has no idea how badass LS1's are. It takes a healthy cammed and bolt on LT1 to pull a bolt-on tuned LS1. Thats pathetic you had two passengers and he got beat like that, i wonder what the jackass has done to his LT1.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chavez885
Sounds like an LT1 moron that has no idea how badass LS1's are. It takes a healthy cammed and bolt on LT1 to pull a bolt-on tuned LS1. Thats pathetic you had two passengers and he got beat like that, i wonder what the jackass has done to his LT1.
from what ive seen.. it takes an aggresive cam/heads and full bolt on lt1 to beat a catback/lid ls1 in the 1/8... but they usually still get outtrapped..

again, this is just what ive seen.. that may not always be the case..
Old 10-19-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice kill, and the 2 buddies in the car to see it make it much sweeter.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

for what its worth, i had a 97z w/m6, mild cam(cc305 for those that know lt1 cams), hooker longtubes and a cutout with stock 3.42 gears. I never raced a ls1 at the track but i pulled several ls1 formulas, one vert trans am and one z28 all on 60+ highway pulls.. all of them had at least exhaust, i dont know if any of them had lids or anything. So it does take some mods for the lt1 to pull an ls1 on the highway. I pulled them pretty good but it took a cam, longtubes and a manual...i cant say if they were all auto or not.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BeefTip
for what its worth, i had a 97z w/m6, mild cam(cc305 for those that know lt1 cams), hooker longtubes and a cutout with stock 3.42 gears. I never raced a ls1 at the track but i pulled several ls1 formulas, one vert trans am and one z28 all on 60+ highway pulls.. all of them had at least exhaust, i dont know if any of them had lids or anything. So it does take some mods for the lt1 to pull an ls1 on the highway. I pulled them pretty good but it took a cam, longtubes and a manual...i cant say if they were all auto or not.
i would guess they were a4s... sounds like you had a good running car, or could row them gears! haha good kills!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Good kill, The proper cammed and bolt on lt1 is a mid to low 12 second car with a stall. Add heads and you have consistent 11's. If you check out the Lt1 section there are at least a hundred cars with these setups backing up my conclusion. The guy sounded like an idiot and lied about his mods or was untuned. Hotcammed and bolt on cars average 12.6 @ 111mph. As for a lid and catback ls1 beating a h/c/i Lt1, i know ls1's are the better motor but there is something wrong there. There must be some huge traction problems there or something isn't right. An LT1 with that setup will run 7's in the 1/8th and faster all day long, a catback and lid ls1 will not.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just something to use in comparing auto lt1 with manual lt1 and manual ls1.

97 z28- auto, stall, shift kit, long tubes, smaller cam, cai, flow catback.
vs.
95 z28- manual, cai, slp catback

We went from 40, 45, 50 rolls and results were all about the same. We were dead even at about 100-110. He pulled on me to where I was at his door once when I shifted early. But gives you idea between the two, one being auto and other being manual. He runs low 8's in the 1/8th with drag radials. I run low 9's with those mods with no traction/shitty launches on my street tires.

99 t/a- manual, short shifter, lid, cutout
vs.
same 95 z28

We have raced anywhere from a dig to a 70mph roll. It is always either dead even or me up by half car or so then at about 90 he starts to pull on me. Ls1's have gay 4th gears haha jk. But yeah they pull hard up top. He runs low 9's in 1/8th also due to lack of traction/shitty launching.

Just showing an example of my experiences with each motor.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meanredZ
Good kill, The proper cammed and bolt on lt1 is a mid to low 12 second car with a stall. Add heads and you have consistent 11's. If you check out the Lt1 section there are at least a hundred cars with these setups backing up my conclusion. The guy sounded like an idiot and lied about his mods or was untuned. Hotcammed and bolt on cars average 12.6 @ 111mph. As for a lid and catback ls1 beating a h/c/i Lt1, i know ls1's are the better motor but there is something wrong there. There must be some huge traction problems there or something isn't right. An LT1 with that setup will run 7's in the 1/8th and faster all day long, a catback and lid ls1 will not.

Thats kinda what i was thinking...A lt1 with heads/cam and intake...should be around 380-420 rwhp...something must be wrong with that guys car.(the convertable lt1)
Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

his cam wasnt the best cam in the world... could be a lot better.. and you gotta remember its a vert.. which is even more weight than normal... on that particular run i ran faster than him.. on average he was running about one tenth faster than i was and i was outtrapping him by about 2-3mph.. nothing was wrong with his car..
Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

how fast were you trapping....he should have been over 110 even with a vert.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BeefTip
how fast were you trapping....he should have been over 110 even with a vert.
84.. he was trapping 82-83 depending on the pass.. 1/8 of course..
Old 10-19-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

i run my friend in his 99 ws6 that ran a 12.9 @109!? lol spun thru 1st and 2nd on DR's..

he has a4 and i have m6..

from a 45 roll i pull on him 1/2-1 car and stay there till 85/90 and he slowly starts to catch up/pass me.

so it doesnt take much for the ol' lt1 to keep up haha
Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
84.. he was trapping 82-83 depending on the pass.. 1/8 of course..
Bolt on LT1's usually trap that. Even with a tiny cam he should be going much faster. Like trapping over 90mph faster.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by meanredZ
Bolt on LT1's usually trap that. Even with a tiny cam he should be going much faster. Like trapping over 90mph faster.
what kind of weather are you talking about... from what i have seen in avg. weather and avg. altitude a cam only lt1 will not trap over 90... i was doing 90 mph with an occasional 89mph.. granted this was in 85 degree weather.. but still..

ported 90/90 ms4 4000 stall 410s tune weight reduction..

Quick Reply: stock ls1 vs stall/full bolt on lt1