Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

stock ls1 vs stall/full bolt on lt1

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
what kind of weather are you talking about... from what i have seen in avg. weather and avg. altitude a cam only lt1 will not trap over 90... i was doing 90 mph with an occasional 89mph.. granted this was in 85 degree weather.. but still..

ported 90/90 ms4 4000 stall 410s tune weight reduction..
I was going off of when you said an aggressive h/c car was equal to a lid and catback LS1. In average air that combo should definately trap over 90. The LT1 cars are great for the 1/8th mile so they normally put down impressive times. I like your car btw yours looks identical to my brothers 01 white formula.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM

OP, what did your car trap in the 1/4 mile?

I think from a dig you're in trouble. From a roll it's hard to say. I'm the biggest advocate of "autos suck from a roll", but I've had a couple heavy bolt-on A4 LT1's and trapped 105 mph with one. I ran a stock 1999 M6 Z28 once and it was a dead even race. Since both cars are autos, there's a chance that either could pull it out from a roll.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Launching!

from what ive seen.. it takes an aggresive cam/heads and full bolt on lt1 to beat a catback/lid ls1 in the 1/8... but they usually still get outtrapped..

again, this is just what ive seen.. that may not always be the case..
Are you for real? You must be on some good drugs if you think it takes a aggressive h/c setup to pull a bolton ls1 in the 8th i have stock heads and stall with 373's and roast ls1's all day long
Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RED94Z28
Are you for real? You must be on some good drugs if you think it takes a aggressive h/c setup to pull a bolton ls1 in the 8th i have stock heads and stall with 373's and roast ls1's all day long
Here is what i've been saying all along and this is a prime example.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meanredZ
I was going off of when you said an aggressive h/c car was equal to a lid and catback LS1. In average air that combo should definately trap over 90. The LT1 cars are great for the 1/8th mile so they normally put down impressive times. I like your car btw yours looks identical to my brothers 01 white formula.
right now im in the 97-98ish range.. yea lt1s shine more in 1/8 than the 1/4 by far.... thanks or the compliment man!

someone always has to start in with personal attacks..
look man, you need to comprehend what i am saying, i have said this entire time... FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN.... IN MY EXPERIENCE... over and over.. i never said that every single time this happens.. i stated what i did to a H/C lt1 in the 1/8... im sorry you didnt like that...

just because you roast some ls1s all day with that setup, doesnt mean you will roast them all.. and just because i beat one H/C lt1 doesnt mean i will beat them all...

you are sounding like a close-minded arrogant newb.. read what people post and make sure you understand what they are trying to get across, which plainly you did not do with my posts.....

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
OP, what did your car trap in the 1/4 mile?

I think from a dig you're in trouble. From a roll it's hard to say. I'm the biggest advocate of "autos suck from a roll", but I've had a couple heavy bolt-on A4 LT1's and trapped 105 mph with one. I ran a stock 1999 M6 Z28 once and it was a dead even race. Since both cars are autos, there's a chance that either could pull it out from a roll.
the race has already happened man.. he won...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=lemons12;10334961]right now im in the 97-98ish range.. yea lt1s shine more in 1/8 than the 1/4 by far.... thanks or the compliment man!

That's an impressive trap. What is your complete mod list?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=meanredZ;10335428]
right now im in the 97-98ish range.. yea lt1s shine more in 1/8 than the 1/4 by far.... thanks or the compliment man!

That's an impressive trap. What is your complete mod list?
thanks,
in a nut shell.. ms4,PRC ls6 heads, ported 90/90, 4k stall, 410s... my race weight is 3250, soon to be a bit lighter.. and im moving up to a 4400 stall..
Old 10-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Good kill! Why did that retard even bother getting a higher stall converter if he was gonna go around and ask for roll races? Some people need their keys taken away.

As for the aggressive heads/cam/bolt-on car just being able to hang with a lid/catback LS1, that's simply not true. If anyone has experience with this actually happening then there was something quite wrong with the LT1 car.

Lemons, not to be a dick, but you first said an aggressive heads/cam setp, and then said that he didn't have a best cam. That doesn't match.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

from what ive seen.. it takes an aggresive cam/heads and full bolt on lt1 to beat a catback/lid ls1 in the 1/8... but they usually still get outtrapped..

again, this is just what ive seen.. that may not always be the case..
Now you're really talking with no knowledge.

My stock converter LT1 had LTs, ORY, CAI, 3.42 gears, and heavy *** 17x11 ZR1s on street tires, and I never once was beat by an LS1. Of course I never ran one with any major mods. I outran a lid/cutout A4 on the track every single time, I beat a LS1 WS6 with FTRA, catback every time. I was consistently .2-.3 faster than the lid/cutout car on the track.

Sure it took full boltons, compared to mostly stock cars.. but your claims are WAY out of whack. I am definitely not doggin on the LS1, I now have a lid/ported tb/4k stall/3.73/ls6 intake Z28 and it's a full second faster than my full boltons LT1. But to say it takes aggressive heads/cam to beat a lid/cutout LS1 is just stupid, and completely ignorant.

BTW - I owned a home brewed 383 LT1 with home ported heads, cc306 (very outdated cam) with a stock converter and 3.73 gears and it was a dead even race for my buddies RGR stg 2 head/228 cammed LS1 with a TH400 RMVB, 3600 stall, 3.55 gears.

LT1s are old news compared to the LSX, no doubt.. but they can still run very well with a few mods.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I think Flash said it well there, lemons is talking with no knowledge whatsoever.
Someone who looks down on the lt1 cuz he has gods gift to engines ls1. Im not personally attacking anybody, but lemons you need to quit inhaling and figure out what you said is completley wrong and ridiculous..
Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Now you're really talking with no knowledge.

My stock converter LT1 had LTs, ORY, CAI, 3.42 gears, and heavy *** 17x11 ZR1s on street tires, and I never once was beat by an LS1. Of course I never ran one with any major mods. I outran a lid/cutout A4 on the track every single time, I beat a LS1 WS6 with FTRA, catback every time. I was consistently .2-.3 faster than the lid/cutout car on the track.

Sure it took full boltons, compared to mostly stock cars.. but your claims are WAY out of whack. I am definitely not doggin on the LS1, I now have a lid/ported tb/4k stall/3.73/ls6 intake Z28 and it's a full second faster than my full boltons LT1. But to say it takes aggressive heads/cam to beat a lid/cutout LS1 is just stupid, and completely ignorant.

BTW - I owned a home brewed 383 LT1 with home ported heads, cc306 (very outdated cam) with a stock converter and 3.73 gears and it was a dead even race for my buddies RGR stg 2 head/228 cammed LS1 with a TH400 RMVB, 3600 stall, 3.55 gears.

LT1s are old news compared to the LSX, no doubt.. but they can still run very well with a few mods.
I think Flash said it well there, lemons is talking with no knowledge whatsoever.
Someone who looks down on the lt1 cuz he has gods gift to engines ls1. Im not personally attacking anybody, but lemons you need to quit inhaling and figure out what you said is completley wrong and ridiculous..
i dont have any knowledge of lt1s, have never owned one, and never plan on it... you guys are not understanding me.. i didnt say what happens everytime.. i said what happened with my one time.. just because it isnt what is *supposed to happen, doesnt mean it didnt happen...

ill get you boys a video of the race! im in the closest lane.. lid and LM.. friend is in the far lane.. H/C stalled a4 lt1..

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD530402.flv

you can argue with me all day long.... theres my proof of *!MY EXPERIENCE!*

and i have seen that more than once, not just on his car.. no proof of that though, so i guess im just a flat out idiot, with no knowledge or experience what so ever......

Last edited by lemons12; 10-24-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 AM

^Link doesn't work.

I'm telling you that if a lid/catback LS1 out trapped a heads/cam LT1 then the LT1 wasn't running right or was very mismatched (or the driver missed a shift etc.) About the most mild setup you'll see is an LT4 heads/cam setup, and those usually still hit 350rwhp. More than enough power to pull on the LS1.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Launching!

i dont have any knowledge of lt1s, have never owned one, and never plan on it... you guys are not understanding me.. i didnt say what happens everytime.. i said what happened with my one time.. just because it isnt what is *supposed to happen, doesnt mean it didnt happen...

ill get you boys a video of the race! im in the closest lane.. lid and LM.. friend is in the far lane.. H/C stalled a4 lt1..

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...0402.flv:chug:

you can argue with me all day long.... theres my proof of *!MY EXPERIENCE!*

and i have seen that more than once, not just on his car.. no proof of that though, so i guess im just a flat out idiot, with no knowledge or experience what so ever......
Well at least you admit that, thats a start we'll cut you a break since your from tennessee lol
Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

^Link doesn't work.

I'm telling you that if a lid/catback LS1 out trapped a heads/cam LT1 then the LT1 wasn't running right or was very mismatched (or the driver missed a shift etc.) About the most mild setup you'll see is an LT4 heads/cam setup, and those usually still hit 350rwhp. More than enough power to pull on the LS1.
it was an A4.. wanna hear another one... cam only when i made 350 to the ground, i raced a hotcam lt1 at the track.... got him by about 3 bus lengths two times..

Well at least you admit that, thats a start we'll cut you a break since your from tennessee lol

i never said i did know anything.. people just assumed..
Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 PM

A hotcam LT1 generally won't make anywhere near 350 rwhp without head work. You should have won decently like you did.

I've seen stock LS1's lose to stock LT1's. Obviously that isn't the norm but it has happened. Whatever the reason, just realize that just because something happened doesn't mean it should have happened. Lid/Catback LS1 beating heads/cam LT1 = something wrong with the LT1.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

A hotcam LT1 generally won't make anywhere near 350 rwhp without head work. You should have won decently like you did.

I've seen stock LS1's lose to stock LT1's. Obviously that isn't the norm but it has happened. Whatever the reason, just realize that just because something happened doesn't mean it should have happened. Lid/Catback LS1 beating heads/cam LT1 = something wrong with the LT1.
did you skip all the parts where i said that i know this doesnt always happen but this is y experience..

its ok, just ignore the parts you dont want to see, and call me out on the stuff you feel like.. way to go..

wow...

btw, he had heads, not a clue which ones though..
Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 AM

You did not state that the hotcammed car had heads. If it did, then it was not running right or the heads were ported badly or he spun, can't drive, etc. to get beat by bus lengths my a 350 rwhp LS1. Also, I was comparing the LT4 setup to the car you originially posted about (lid/catback). I was just showing how the even most mild heads/cam setup should win that race, never mind an aggressive setup.

"from what ive seen.. it takes an aggresive cam/heads and full bolt on lt1 to beat a catback/lid ls1 in the 1/8... but they usually still get outtrapped..

again, this is just what ive seen.. that may not always be the case.."

Here is your first quote that everyone is arguing over. You're experience doesn't seem to even be what you stated here as you haven't been able to tell us what this "aggressive" heads/cam package was that you raced (unless you're refering to the LT4 package which is as mild as they get).

That being said, it's an ignorant statement. Anyone who has done even a little research would know that an agressive heads/cam package on an LT1 makes 370-400+ to the ground. An A4 LS1 with lid/catback is generally around 300-315 rwhp. Unless something was wrong with the setup on the LT1 or it was driven badly (which you state it was an auto so that's not the case) then the LT1 will win.

Perfect example, I saw a stock LT1 with a CC306 cam at the track. The 306 cam is a very decent size cam that is capable of 350+ rwhp on stock heads in some cases. However, this setup was bone stock otherwise and it was running 14.3's due to a horribly mismatched setup. Obviously it would ignorant of me to go around and say that aggressive cammed LT1 run 14's based on "my experiences".

I saw where you said that it may not always happen, but you keep going on about your "experiences".

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick about it. I'm just trying to explain why your experiences are the exception and not the rule.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Launching!

did you skip all the parts where i said that i know this doesnt always happen but this is y experience..

its ok, just ignore the parts you dont want to see, and call me out on the stuff you feel like.. way to go..

wow...

btw, he had heads, not a clue which ones though..
Well i would hope his car had heads or i dont think his car would run real well lol.. Your starting to sound like the biggest tool on these boards lemons. Screaming red there is no need posting back to this douche, let him live in his fairytale world where a lid a4 ls1 would beat a h/c lt1 prolly a viper and of course a
z06.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

plenty of bolt-on LT1s in the bottom 12s (and a few 11s) so it's a toss up, you can bench race all f'in day long and get no where

enjoy your cars everyone!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:04 AM

^At least we're in the right forum to do it

Quick Reply: stock ls1 vs stall/full bolt on lt1