Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

How much HP will it take for an Fbody to beat a Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much HP will it take for an Fbody to beat a Nissan GTR

Here is the deal, I have been looking off and on for a fbody recently. I have been hesitant due to the shaky economy but i just had my desire stoked.....I found out yesterday that my uncle just bought a new Nissan GTR. For one thing, i have almost no knowledge of these cars and until last night, i had never looked at them before to any extent.

I had to hear his speech on how nothing can touch them right now and all of this stuff. I know they are fast and I would take one but hearing all of this, i really want to get something that can at least "hang" with him. From what I have read, it looks like they can trap from 120-125 and they are awd. So they are dangerous from a stop and roll...

I had been looking for just a cammed lt1/ls1 but now i really want something a little extra. I do not have a big budget so how much power does it take for a M6(maybe an A4) to run with something like this?

I was hoping to find a cammed ls1 w/a manual tranny, should put down about 400rwhp....then throw a 150 shot or so on it....would this be enough?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really, in the hands of an average drive, you are likely to be able to hang in the 1/4 with him with only mild mods. Even if he uses the magic launch system you are likely to win because he has a 50/50 shot of the trans blowing up. lol

Really, that is bolt on ET territory, maybe mild cam only at most. Good gears, good suspension, and a mild engine combination is all you need.

-Tim
Old 10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We have guys here that run 10's with 400rwhp.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, he doesnt run at the track so it would only be from a roll
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

race him ~4 times

the tranny will blow up and you will automatically win
Old 10-26-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there not that great. im a nissan app. and there a very large hunk of junk. im sure they built it on the bais of "just becuse you can dosent mean you should". the trannys weak and under cooled to hack the motor. the AWD system is just a beefed up verson of a G car. im not just being f car bias. but a good driving in a car thats propely set up to use every thing its got, will spank it
Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, he wont drive it to extreme anyway so i doubt he will have an issue with the tranny....i just want to be able to take him from a roll...he doesnt drag race at all.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Not much just make sure he runs with Trac off there have been lots of GTRs who have destroyed their transmissions just by attempting to get a 3.5 0-60.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Launching!

if he doesnt race from a dig it will make things much easier for you. headers and a SMALL h/c upgrad ls1= 400ish wheel, a 100shot, good tires, and maybe some 3.73's or 4.10s just to add to the punishment and you will be fine. Its not a fast car from a roll so hes in for a big ego check.

If you really wanna bring him down a notch get an ls3 c6, throw some headers, intake and tune and destroy him. But build what you want, like unit213 said, you can go 10's with the right auto setup w/o alot of power. Build that and tell him you will race you when he gets a 10 sec slip...
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

elaborae please sir
Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

"I had to hear his speech on how nothing can touch them right now and all of this stuff.."

Lolz. New ZR-1 Vette handed the GTR its *** in just about every test.

But aside from that. Everyone on here is correct. Mild upgrades and boltons will leave him wondering why he wasted all his money.

Plus, as it has been said here already, chances are he'll blow his trans before you even run out of gas
Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Launching!

you cant realy blame the guy if hes not a car entusiast to begin with. All he probably knows is its all over the cover of road and track and other magazines and is praised like its the car that god built. yes its "fast" from the standpoint that my grandma can drive the car to its full potential, and probably a good buy if hes not going to be modding anything. Its getting the same attention that the shelby gt500 is getting (nothing against either of the two cars), its very appealing to someone who wants to go buy a "fast car".
Were looking at them from a full potential standpoint becuase lets face it, we wanna go fast. Fast is a relative term and im sure the salesperson filled his head with its invincibility. Its just going to make it more fun for you when you spank that ***!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JTelesone
you cant realy blame the guy if hes not a car entusiast to begin with. All he probably knows is its all over the cover of road and track and other magazines and is praised like its the car that god built. yes its "fast" from the standpoint that my grandma can drive the car to its full potential, and probably a good buy if hes not going to be modding anything. Its getting the same attention that the shelby gt500 is getting (nothing against either of the two cars), its very appealing to someone who wants to go buy a "fast car".
Were looking at them from a full potential standpoint becuase lets face it, we wanna go fast. Fast is a relative term and im sure the salesperson filled his head with its invincibility. Its just going to make it more fun for you when you spank that ***!

well, thats exactly where he was coming from....he has had vettes before...granted, not the zr1 but he was simply not interested in it when i mentioned it to him. He had bought a vert 350z for him and his wifes "play" car, so maybe thats when he got into nissans. He traded that in and got this. He had been wanting one for a while. He does absolutely no modding, he didnt want a manual tranny(he likes the paddles). So a vette or a modded fbody were not even considered. So for what he does, it fits him just fine and all things considered, it is a low 12sec high 11 sec car from the factory that will trap close to 120 so its not like its a dog.

All that being said, im still looking for a ls1 to drag him with on the highway lol.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Launching!

yea to each their own, just curious but what kinda vette did he have. If it was an lt1 year make, I can see where hes coming from! lol good luck and make sure you get it on video
Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

At what weight?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a nicely setup cam only car should take it.. H/C shouldnt have much of a problem at all..

Quick Reply: How much HP will it take for an Fbody to beat a Nissan GTR