Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

So apparantly stock 04 GTOs are now........

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
LOL he is one of the guys claiming to beat bolt on f bodies and just be edged out by C5s and C6s. His car may have gone thattime but it wasnt done it totally stock trim. Plus it said the DA was like - 116.
Cry me a river about the DA when you damn well know near 0 DAs are common in this area. Hell up on the eastern seabord (ATCO) they get -1200 or better DAs! Hell the last GTO track day I went to had a -600 DA. And do you do realize that a change in 1000' of DA corresponds to less than 0.17 ET? Modify the engine to improve Ve and the difference goes down.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH

Bring your LS2 down here and Ill run you! GTO get together in bradenton. EDIT: And wow you needed a 408 stroker with a big cam, heads, and a nitrous shot to get that 11.6 @ 123? You sure you dont drive a poorly tuned supra? (Dont get your panties in a wad and end up showing me were you hide your ovine. )

Oh and btw I am 100% wins against Fbodies and C5 vettes. The ONLY vette I have EVER lost to was a C6. I have run 2 C4s and 2 C5s and kicked all of their asses. Franklin (Ferrayo) witnessed the first C5 kill that's not on video - happened at our informal street tire challenge at BMP. It was a choice for me to line up against the LS1 vette or a caged low 10 second mustang. I won by driving around him. And as far as Fbodies go I have BUTCHERED every LT1 that's run against me (4 to date.) I've only run against 1 LS1 M6 with LTs with a loud exhaust, and was a damn good race with us finishing dead nuts.

Oh and if anyone claims that their stock 04 did beat a C6, then the C6 wasnt racing or the 04 owner is lying his *** off aobut his mods.

Originally Posted by chavez885
Yea that guy is pretty delusional. I gave up on him.
Wanna run too?

Since you are posting vids here's the other one: Teh LS2 CAN NEVA LOOSE!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWzPzgfhcMc

I cant count the number of times I've seen LS2 GTOs running 14.0+ times on the same night I was running low 13s. Just because someone can afford it does not mean they can drive it.

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
04 GTO does not have a True Dual exhaust stock doesn't it still go into a y-pipe just like a ta/camaro?
Negative ghost rider -true dual from factory.

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
going from a 2.2 to a 2.0 60ft will not take him from 14.0 to 13.4
there is also this nifty thing called "heat soak" pulls timing and kills power like non other. 0.2 second differential on the 60 = 0.4 in ET. A gto can EASILY loose 0.5 seconds in ET and 3mph in the trap due to heat soak alone. So hell they could go from a 13.4 to a 14.3 in a fully heat soaked state with a **** poor launch.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-08-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

GTO's have nice interiors and they are nice cars, kind of bland styling wise but thats my opinion. They are slow.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chavez885
Wow went right over several of you guy's heads lol. I ran an LS1 gto and was pretty even in my LT1 with a cutout, they are pretty slow stock, definitely not gonna pull an LS1 fbody or C5.
Hey thats funny cuz I ran Eric's (fauslpss) car on this site which is an LT full exhaust M6 from a 50ish roll and it was pretty much dead nutz. (Actually I pulled about 2-ish cars from the punch, he slowly made up some ground in 3rd, then we sat there, his nose at my door, for all of 4th gear.) Since he never actually lead the race I can call it a kill but choose not to since all through 4th gear, we did not move an inch relative to each other until I lifted and jumped on the brakes for the rapidly approaching traffic. '04 GTOs ARE deficient in the brakes so I had to brake before he needed to....

Im sure he and I will race again in the future - he is actually a really cool dude. PM him if you dont believe my story.

Then there is the video of me *gasp* pulling that C5 since he got a half car lead on me from the launch. Post race he was surprised at my trap of 108.49 vs his 108.50 because he stated that I was still pulling away from him on the big end.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-08-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

What people dont realize is that the factory HP rating doesnt mean jack diddly. There are going to be 10% freaks, 10% duds, and 80% average cars. And that is for any production run of cars - a normal bell curve. And beyond that the driver is FAR more important than the HP rating. I like to think that I have a freak LS1 combined with me being a good driver which results in me making kills some people think that I shouldn't make. There was one time at the track I fist fucked 03 Cobra with a KB on board that was putting 5xx rwhp. He couldnt get traciton. I did and beat him by a few trainlengths.

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
GTO's have nice interiors and they are nice cars, kind of bland styling wise but thats my opinion. They are slow.
Agreed. The styling is understated, which is perfect for me. IMO - Everything is slow as there is always someone faster.

The best part is I actually LOVE F-bodies. If I didnt have the Goat, I'd definately have an M6 T/A. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to mod that's for damn sure.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-08-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are we mainly talking about ls1 GTos or ls2s, cause i want to buy an ls2 as a DD eventually an honeslty if a mildly modded lt1 can beat it or come close i might change my mind
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
Are we mainly talking about ls1 GTos or ls2s, cause i want to buy an ls2 as a DD eventually an honeslty if a mildly modded lt1 can beat it or come close i might change my mind
A lot of us just like picking on the GTO guys. I wouldn't take those comments too seriously.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Depends on you definition of "mildly modded." Some people think a 175 wet shot is mildly modded. LoL! And there's a **** ton of LT1s out there thatll kick my *** around my ears...however they are quite heavily modded in my book.

Stock for stock with equal drivers and traction, LT1s do not stand a snowballs chance in hell against either iteration LS*. Ditto with mod for mod. But realize your skill behind the wheel is far more critical - do something stupid and it will beat you.

GTOs are a BITCH to launch with courtesy of the IRS and narrow OEM tires. (And microscopically sized wheel wells.) However we do handle better courtesy of that suspension - well in theory anyhow.

As far as the difference btwn the LS1 and LS2, they are minimal. Driving will determine the outcome more than the 50hp and 35tq. 05/06 do have better OEM brakes. Other than that, there is the 3000 to 6000 dollar difference for that 50hp/tq.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-08-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
GTOs are a BITCH to launch with courtesy of the IRS and narrow OEM tires. (And microscopically size wheel wells.)

As far as the difference btwn the LS1 and LS2, they are minimal. Driving will determine the outcome more than the 50hp and 35tq.
Yea I can't imagine trying to launch one of those cars with the tires they stuck you guys with. Aren't the LS2 cars a little heavier than the LS1 cars? I think I've read that but I can't remember.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Yea I can't imagine trying to launch one of those cars with the tires they stuck you guys with. Aren't the LS2 cars a little heavier than the LS1 cars? I think I've read that but I can't remember.
OMG the OEM rubber is the WORST EVER. 245 profile and hard as a brick! 1st just breaks traction and wheel hops. 2nd gear is useless - just wild wheel spin. 3rd gear one gains traction. Pontiac screwed the pooch with the OEM tires and the marketing. About the fattest tire we can fit are 275s and thats with fender rolling and drag bags. Beyond that and one usually needs minitubs or having a body shop flare the fenders. The drag bags, pedders springs, or one of GForce1320's single axle upgrades will alleviate wheel hop.

They might be a touch heavier, but not by anything significant. The last time I drove across a dump scale (probably not calibrated very well) mine tipped the scales at 3880 with a full tank of gas and my 190lb fat ***. Most of the LS2 guys were reporting similar weights.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OMG the OEM rubber is the WORST EVER. 1st just breaks traction and wheel hops. 2nd gear is useless - just wild wheel spin. 3rd gear one gains traction. Pontiac screwed the pooch with the OEM tires and the marketing.

They might be a touch heavier, but not by anything significant. The last time I drove across a dump scale (probably not calibrated very well) mine tipped the scales at 3880 with a full tank of gas and my 190lb fat ***. Most of the LS2 guys were reporting similar weights.
The marketing sucked but the price gouging dealers sealed its fate. I remember when I looked at them they were marking them up 5-8K and they wouldn't budge. I walked away. The Challenger has been the same way so far. I've tried to get one out here for a while now and they insist that they are worth 9k over sticker. Of course the cars are just sitting there, just like the GTO I looked at did.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

an ls1 gto will rape a pretty decently modified lt1....I have never ran across an LT1 that challenged the goat....I know they're out there and I'm waiting to run into one...it'll happen someday.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can fit a 275 pretty easily with the right sized rim/offset and a little bit of massaging....I don't have drag bags and my car has a drop spring on it but my 275's fit just fine...I'm actually going to step it up to a 285 next time tires are bought...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was drivin' my buddies '98 GTP and put the BEAT DOWN on a Goat up until about 95-100 mph where the GTO stopped his pull and finally started to inch on him. Although the GTO was brand new(dealer plates) and the GTP was heavily modded but still. the look on his face was priceless i will admit he likely needed the driver mod. i haven't ran into a GTO yet that has stood a chance against my Vette. They are nice cars and i'd like one for a DD, cruiser but not for a speed machine. Just too heavy....

Last edited by Cole Train; 01-08-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

GTO's areslow no matter what is done to them. Point blank. No help for the fat retarded cousin of the Fbody.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Cry me a river about the DA when you damn well know near 0 DAs are common in this area. Hell up on the eastern seabord (ATCO) they get -1200 or better DAs! Hell the last GTO track day I went to had a -600 DA. And do you do realize that a change in 1000' of DA corresponds to less than 0.17 ET? Modify the engine to improve Ve and the difference goes down.

Bring your LS2 down here and Ill run you! GTO get together in bradenton. EDIT: And wow you needed a 408 stroker with a big cam, heads, and a nitrous shot to get that 11.6 @ 123? You sure you dont drive a poorly tuned supra? (Dont get your panties in a wad and end up showing me were you hide your ovine. )
I see your punkass made it over here. Where the hell did you get that time for my 408? That car went bottom 10s. And Id love to run your POS but m not driving 800 miles or however far it is for it.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
GTO's areslow no matter what is done to them. Point blank. No help for the fat retarded cousin of the Fbody.
lol...oookaayy....fast is fast dude, you can have respect for anything IMO
Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Granted, a few weeks before all he could get was 14.0s. The only difference was swapping good tires onto the back and him not getting stoned before running.
quoted for truth, first time at the track i was high as a kite and couldnt run for **** with some .500 reaction times. . . was embarassing.

went back sober the next time and did loads better.

moral of the story, don't drag race high

wait till after you leave the track
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

and for the record, here in AZ, ive ran 3 GTO's 2 of which i know had full exhaust at least, and with my little baby 212-219 cam i did put a hurting on them, fastest time any of the 3 could muster was a 13.7 or so IIRC. I on the other hand ran a 13.3 and i'd say my car is 'mildy' modded.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
you crack me up with that GTO stuff scott.
Originally Posted by Summerwolf
lol...oookaayy....fast is fast dude, you can have respect for anything IMO
I'll remember that the next time you talk down on stangs....LOL
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, my main issue with stangs is the billion+ special editions, all the cars my friends worked on back home were mustangs and thats who I used to race/compare our cars with for the most part. One of my best friends has a 97 cobra with 4.3X gears and drag slicks....I know what they can be capable of.

To PNYKLR-TA- where in AZ are you? We can bring cameras if you want and I have a lowly LS1...lol

Quick Reply: So apparantly stock 04 GTOs are now........