Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

ms4 install what numbers to expect

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
no you shouldnt pick up a full second with JUST SWAPPING a cam in... if you did some supporting mods also, then yes.. but not JUST A CAM!

yea your in the 12s....... 12.9

im not going off what your car "should" be running right now.. im going off what times your running.. and if the 12.9 is what you run.. your not going to hit 11s, if all things are exactly the same as the 12.9 run..

dont bring autos into the equation.. on average they run 2-3 tenths faster..

plus one on his last sentence.. you need to get your times down with your mods you have now.. you should be in low to mid 12s.. not 12.9X's..

plus you must remember, just because the majority of people are running mid to high 11s with the Ms4 cam doesnt mean you will.. there are stroker builds that cant get into the 11 hardly..

***going off of the times you have stated, and the mods you will be doing... just a cam and tune.. you arent going to hit 11s.... now if you go back the way you sit right now and run a 12.4... then yes you should hit 11s..
The OP has already stated that he only got to make 2 passes with his current setup, so with more seat time I am pretty sure his times will improve.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

dont bring autos into the equation.. on average they run 2-3 tenths faster..

plus one on his last sentence.. you need to get your times down with your mods you have now.. you should be in low to mid 12s.. not 12.9X's..

plus you must remember, just because the majority of people are running mid to high 11s with the Ms4 cam doesnt mean you will.. there are stroker builds that cant get into the 11 hardly..

***going off of the times you have stated, and the mods you will be doing... just a cam and tune.. you arent going to hit 11s.... now if you go back the way you sit right now and run a 12.4... then yes you should hit 11s..

The fellow has a 9" and a 6-speed. With the right tires, he can dump the clutch and make an automatic look silly off the line. You think my stock stalled and 2.73'd automatic '98 has low to mid 12s with nothing but headers? We're talking 16" 245 Khumos here and a stock tune so rich you smell like gasoline after sitting at a stoplight for half a minute. I doubt it has much left in it as is. MAYBE a 12.8 with brand new tires and perfect conditions, but not much else.

Simply put, this fellows combination should have more in it with practice and the right tire.

To the OP, don't threaten to sell the thing if you can't wring 11's out of it with bolt-ons, cam, gears and tire. It's not the car's fault.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

yea, i get what your saying!

but im going off of his times.. and im assuming that he will run at the same track, in similar conditions, and ONLY changing the cam and giving it a tune..
with that said, he wont pick up a full second... maybe 5 tenths... which would put him at a low to mid 12..

NOW! haha, if he ran that 12.9 in the heat spun a little and a horrible track... then when he does the cam change if its cold weather dead hooking and a good track.. that could pick a full second up or more.. making him mid to low 11s!

either way, good luck op!
Ok I seein what I steped in,lol, I agree that under same conditions a full sec with only a cam change aint gonna do it,
Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
The OP has already stated that he only got to make 2 passes with his current setup, so with more seat time I am pretty sure his times will improve.
that just may be.. and i hope the times were because of him and not the car..

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
The fellow has a 9" and a 6-speed. With the right tires, he can dump the clutch and make an automatic look silly off the line. You think my stock stalled and 2.73'd automatic '98 has low to mid 12s with nothing but headers? We're talking 16" 245 Khumos here and a stock tune so rich you smell like gasoline after sitting at a stoplight for half a minute. I doubt it has much left in it as is. MAYBE a 12.8 with brand new tires and perfect conditions, but not much else.

Simply put, this fellows combination should have more in it with practice and the right tire.

To the OP, don't threaten to sell the thing if you can't wring 11's out of it with bolt-ons, cam, gears and tire. It's not the car's fault.
i dont know what your getting at with the first paragraph really..?

yea it should have more.... maybe it does, maybe it doesnt.. again, he asked what he should expect to run, and gave us times.. going off those times he wont see 11s.. yes he is in the 12s.. but its a 12.9..

what you must assume is that his car is a 12.9 car AT BEST! because that is the best time it has run, regardless of seat time, conditions or anything... i hope it is faster.. but you cant "assume" it will run faster times..

Originally Posted by tillery
Ok I seein what I steped in,lol, I agree that under same conditions a full sec with only a cam change aint gonna do it,
:p haha.. just giving ya a hard time... and +1.. and cam change is NOT going to give a second.. PERIOD!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

im running mickey thompson drag radials but there pretty bald..
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wildn347
im running mickey thompson drag radials but there pretty bald..
they hook long after the tread is gone..
Old 12-26-2008, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

good to know that you are mr. ls1 and you know all about these cars thanks pal.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wildn347
good to know that you are mr. ls1 and you know all about these cars thanks pal.
you asked a question i gave an answer, you made a statement about near bald MT's.. i let you know they hook after they tread is already gone and then some..

didnt think i was being an ***?

anyways... good luck at picking up a second on a cam swap or making it in the 11s, since your in the 12s already.......... 12.9 that is....

Quick Reply: ms4 install what numbers to expect