Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Buddy with turbo Honda talking smack...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Damn, they have 500 dollar turbos on ebay? They need to make one for fbodys.
They do, but they cost alot more.

I will run him if this crappy weather ever clears up....I will even let him choose what speed he wants to go from and I will give him the hit to make things interesting.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

The 1.5 non-vtec motors are crap. They were only made for gas mileage. All of the SOHC VTEC motors are a bit better and can make some decent power when properly built. In stock form, they are limited by their rods the size of pencils. The B Series VTEC motors have the most aftermarket support, and it isn't uncommon to see them put out well over 400-500hp boosted in street trim. My favorite still is the H series. The big block of the Honda world can make some serious power at lower boost levels, but still has to be built to be "fast". Before i owned it, a friend had a 100 shot on a stock H22 in an EG hatch (weighed 2420 with a 1/4 tank of gas), and ran a 11.9 at 114 and still got over 30mpg.

The main thing with them all though, is good luck putting the power to the ground!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 PM
***Repost Police***

K-series > H-series . I'd have some form of the K20Z (or K24) in my S2000 if I could.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

Ok, I beat the real numbers out of him, it has 190whp not 220. And says he already slayed a s2000, older jag v-12 and a new 2009 maxima (now with 290hp)... He finally admited it wont beat my car, but it should run mid/high 13's....We will find out when the track opens.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it runs mid/high 13's i don't think he'd have much against a new maxima, heard they are pretty quick.

Edit: nevermind... googled and magazine was getting 14.5-14.7 out of the new maxima.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon5212
If it runs mid/high 13's i don't think he'd have much against a new maxima, heard they are pretty quick.

Edit: nevermind... googled and magazine was getting 14.5-14.7 out of the new maxima.

Hrm, thought they would run better than that...with a trap of 99 someone should be able to squeeze a low 14 out of it.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2803b.shtml
Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

spending money on racing a civic is like spending money on a transsexual hooker...it's cheap and you can go all the way...but it's still full blown gay
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
spending money on racing a civic is like spending money on a transsexual hooker...it's cheap and you can go all the way...but it's still full blown gay

LOL! Thats some sig worthy **** right there.....
Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda boys at least most of them love to talk,talk,talk. 10 second this..10 second that. Too much fast and furious movies!
I still remember one really funny day at the local track. I was driving the wifes 96z. It had very minor bolt ons ,nittos, 2800 stall, catback, underdrive,cold air. And it had original worn out plugs that upon later inspection had huge gaps and looked plain nasty ,they were not firing worth crap. Car would roll over up top.
Anyway car was managing to run consitent 14.2s at about 95mph at 1600 feet above sea level. Car was heavy nearly 3880 or something raceweight.

I pulled up next to this blue civic with turbo and spray. It was hot and hoods were up and I got to check out their car and they looked at mine . So as we sat in the staging lanes these guys were beaking about how they figured they would run like an 11, no spray yet and how they were going to smoke the vert of course. I think they might have even figured it was a v6. I had at the time black z28 emblems but they really blended in with the dark purple color. As said it was the wifes car.

So off we go on the run and at the end of the quarter I did like my usual 14.2 at 95 or so with like a 2.0 60ft. Even with my stall car just wouldn't do better than a 2.0 60ft .As said it needed plugs super badly.

But the honda managed like a 2.8 60ft with like a 16.8 run at 85mph! LOL They were trying to run on street tires. No way it would hook up at the track,our track was known for being very slippery and they had to back out of it to keep it off the wall.

They came back around to staging and once again they were put beside my slow but consistent 96z vert. This time they asked the track official if they could be matched with a "slower" car! LOL

So run him and see how the cards fall. The faster car loses many times over the slower one. If he is on street tires he can't hook a turbo fwd off a did worth crap. And may still spin them off on a roll. And turbos are not that simple. Many import guys are clueless on the tuning and support mods needed to do it right. Injectors can be too small, too much timing can blow the engines up, too much boost for the support mods as said,etc.

And if you are talking standard not autos you have many other things that can go wrong in a race, shortshift, misshift, hit the rev limiter to name a few. And standards don't build boost very good off the line normally either. You need things like stutterbox launch and antilag options.

Anyway you win some you lose some. So wouldn't sweat it too much. Always someone faster and they could be driving a honda. Or like I say turbos can make any car fast even hondas!

Quick Reply: Buddy with turbo Honda talking smack...