Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

slp lid and deescrened the maf??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp lid and deescrened the maf??

well i installed my brand new slp lid and deescrend my maf i feel like i have a faster throttle responce now. but i have a question how does descreening a maf help if it does and how much hp am i looking at?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

anybody have any info on the effects of descreening a maf ??
Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am against descreening.

The screen is there to smooth out the air flowing across the sensor element at lower flow rates.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

removing the screen simply leans your car out more because it can't get as good of a reading
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
removing the screen simply leans your car out more because it can't get as good of a reading
i did it allready as i was convinced by a friend dam man so i must be in 4 a world of hurt how bad can it get
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

many people have done it, and the gains are very little, although G.M. did put them in the later c5 Z06 models with out a screen so they might have taken note on the "every bit counts" theory. It isn't really necessary on vettes or F bodies though because it was originally put in to straighten out the air before it hits the MAF on the trucks that use the same part because the intake had an elbow/90 degree turn right before the MAF. So basically JUST descreening will probably do nothing but a lid, descreening, P&P TB, and trimming the egr (if equipped) have given proven gains.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cars come rich from the factory, so dont worry about your car running too lean from descreening the maf. I descreened mine and didnt notice a difference, i was always under the impression that the screen was in there to catch things such as grass/ leaves from getting into the engine but i guess i was wrong.
Im one of those guys who think everybit counts and thats why i did it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Cars come rich from the factory, so dont worry about your car running too lean from descreening the maf. I descreened mine and didnt notice a difference, i was always under the impression that the screen was in there to catch things such as grass/ leaves from getting into the engine but i guess i was wrong.
yea man im the same way if i can gain 1hp and no money just abunch of my time ill do it
Old 12-31-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now just get some headers on that thing and let 'er eat.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
I am against descreening.

The screen is there to smooth out the air flowing across the sensor element at lower flow rates.
+1. I agree whole heartedly.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
not necessarily. It depends on how the Air is read by the MAF and how the MAF transfers that info. IE: maf transfer. It could lean it out, it could richen it.

Most noticeably...if you have AIr reading problems, you will have stalling issues when coming to a stop. I'm sure it's 'less' likely with the pathway of the 4th gens Airflow.....BUT, I agree with Dan. Why take a chance?..put it in and don't worry about any problems.

Cars do come rich from the factory, and I wouldn't worry about lean conditions of descreening, but again Dan is correct in why the screen is there, and I +1 his suggestion to put it back in.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Now just get some headers on that thing and let 'er eat.
That and a custom tune.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^I dont think you can put it back in, at least me, i destroyed mine with a flat head screw driver.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ponygt65
That and a custom tune.
i have lts and im gonna get it tuned at synergy or my friend at clovis auto motion which ever one tunes better
Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^I dont think you can put it back in, at least me, i destroyed mine with a flat head screw driver.
that sucks man...I remember having to install mine in the K and N CAI for hte mach.....it was a HUGE PITA, but well worth it...the instructions say to leave it out...but I ALWAYS research mods and talk to a few people before going with one for that exact reason....so I knew better come time to install it. LOL

IDK about Fbod's LID's, but I dont' see why you can't just do a R and R and put one back in. If it gets messed up, you can go to a hardware store and get some 'mesh' material that is similarly gapped because as Dan stated, it's for smoothing out the air flow for proper MAF readings, so that will work. I know plenty of stang guys that have done it. If you ever decide to try and put one back in, you can always do that.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1passion
i have lts and im gonna get it tuned at synergy or my friend at clovis auto motion which ever one tunes better
IDK either of them (aside from CAM posting in your thread). The only two guys I know of that had work done to their 4th, did their own tuning. According to them, there are no good tuners for fbods around here....but maybe they didnt' know about those two places?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ponygt65
IDK either of them (aside from CAM posting in your thread). The only two guys I know of that had work done to their 4th, did their own tuning. According to them, there are no good tuners for fbods around here....but maybe they didnt' know about those two places?
ill have 2 do my homework i dont want 2 have problems because i get frustrated when i cant drive my car
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

A tune will solve all leaning issues. I don't run a screen. I don't think it matters one way or the other at your level though. For advanced applications you wont find a screen one. It is a restriction.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

I removed mine and have never had a problem.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
A tune will solve all leaning issues. I don't run a screen. I don't think it matters one way or the other at your level though. For advanced applications you wont find a screen one. It is a restriction.
ok it make sense now i just need a ls6 intake and my ported throttle body and ill be full boltons
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
Psst...can you not read Scott?..oh wait, I know you can't. .LOL

seriously though it's not a matter or power level, it's a matter of MAF transfer. 'If' it doesn't read the airflow correctly the proper adj. can't be made. Some cars go some time without an issue, some act up immediately.

Since it's already out Jesus, I'd leave it out and see how it drives. As long as you are getting a custom tune and you don't ahve any stalling issues, then no worries.

Quick Reply: slp lid and deescrened the maf??