Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

How to beat a GT500.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions about how quick the shelbys are on here. I've been told it would only take some stickies and track time to beat one with my car. Also been told I'd be needing a cam, stall, lts, gears, nitrous, etc etc. So i'm lost. I will wait until the summer when I get my car out I guess to run one of these bad boys to see how far I have to go. I just thought I'd try using the bench racing forum first if possible- not so. Too many varying opinions to be accurate on here. We'll just assume the driver mod is a given, and even still there are varying opinions on what the vehicle is capable of itself. I'm glad to get answers, but I just didn't think they would all be so different?!
everyone has pretty much said the same thing..

if you are racing a stock one... all you need is simple bolt ons and a sticky tire.. they run lor-mid 12s at best (and thats with a sticky tire on them)...

now from a roll.. that will be more of a driver mod race.. but with intake,full exhaust, gears, tires, and a little weight taken out.. you sould take one pretty easily from a roll..
Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roll the 500 should beat a bolt on car. Dig the Fbody should take it.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Lol, this is a funny thread! My buddy has a Gt500 and let me be the first to say from personally riding in his with a good driver they can b fast as hell just like a six speed ls1. He never ran it stock at the track. His first mods were pulley 2.6, long tube headers, off road pipe, and catback-all JBA, intake, dyno tune, aftermarket heat exchanger, rear upper and lower control arms, wires and 305 nitto drag radials. Dynotuned the car 575rwhp and 575rwt. We went to the track and he ran a 12.3 @122mph on a 2.1 sixty foot.

Got rid of the nitto drag radials and purchased some 17 mickey thompson ET streets, did a 3.73 gear swap, lower the car, subframe connectors and ran a 11.9 @ 121 on a 1.89 sity foot.

Over the winter he did a supercharger swap...........change the stock charger to a TVS blower with a pulley swap. Change the stock steel drive shaft for a aftermarket one. Anyway dynotuned the car and it put down 670rwhp and 665rwt...changed the tires again for some M & H 325 45 17 drag radials.....He is hoping for tens this summer.

The car is a pig but I went for a ride in it with the new supercharger and might I say it does pull hard *** hell! Very nice interior and killer sound system.

I think once he gets comfortable with the new power and how to launch it, it should put
down a good number we shall see this summer. In the meantime Im getting prepared for his ***
im gonna have to go ahead and say theres something wrong with that car or your buddy sucks at driving. my car went faster than that with over 100 less rwhp and a stock suspension on 17" mickey thompsons AND my car traped higher.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
everyone has pretty much said the same thing..

if you are racing a stock one... all you need is simple bolt ons and a sticky tire.. they run lor-mid 12s at best (and thats with a sticky tire on them)...

now from a roll.. that will be more of a driver mod race.. but with intake,full exhaust, gears, tires, and a little weight taken out.. you sould take one pretty easily from a roll..

Actually no, everyone has not said the same thing. Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out the varying opinions . Nitroracer21 for example figures I need a cam AND 125 shot. Someone else feels like a bolt on will take one. Some people stress stickies while others do not. So even though everyone has their preferences and racing styles, the same thing has NOT been said. I have already heard what you've had to say, over and over and over. It just SEEMS like everyone is saying the same thing because the majority of posts are from you!

So respectfully, thanks for your input but I'll interpret what is being said here for myself. I am posting this thread in the appropriate forum, and genuinely want to hear opinions from the LS1tech community, not just you.

Sorry If I sound like a dick here but if you look a couple pages back you will see that I have politely and appropriately hinted at the subtle yet apparent hijacking of my thread. So now I say it plain as day! So sincerely, thanks for your input, but If you want to talk about why someone spends X amount of dollars and hasn't got a 9 inch yet, start a thread. It's one thing to ask a question, but hell you and "Tainted" had a little conversation of your own within my thread.

I think I have some answers now and have decided on a plan (like I stated previously) on how I will find out for sure how much more I need, by racing one of these GT500s. I will keep in mind what everyone here has said, and combined with how bad I get my *** handed to me, I will mod accordingly.

Last edited by oddwraith; 01-30-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Actually no, everyone has not said the same thing. Otherwise I wouldn't have pointed out the varying opinions . Nitroracer21 for example figures I need a cam AND 125 shot. Someone else feels like a bolt on will take one. Some people stress stickies while others do not. So even though everyone has their preferences and racing styles, the same thing has NOT been said. I have already heard what you've had to say, over and over and over. It just SEEMS like everyone is saying the same thing because the majority of posts are from you!

So respectfully, thanks for your input but I'll interpret what is being said here for myself. I am posting this thread in the appropriate forum, and genuinely want to hear opinions from the LS1tech community, not just you.

Sorry If I sound like a dick here but if you look a couple pages back you will see that I have politely and appropriately hinted at the subtle yet apparent hijacking of my thread. So now I say it plain as day! So sincerely, thanks for your input, but If you want to talk about why someone spends X amount of dollars and hasn't got a 9 inch yet, start a thread. It's one thing to ask a question, but hell you and "Tainted" had a little conversation of your own within my thread.

I think I have some answers now and have decided on a plan (like I stated previously) on how I will find out for sure how much more I need, by racing one of these GT500s. I will keep in mind what everyone here has said, and combined with how bad I get my *** handed to me, I will mod accordingly.

let me rephrase my statement based on your hilarious post...

anyone knows what these cars run.. and anyone who knows what ls1s run with X number of mods... and anyone who ACTUALLY RACES (unlike some people that post in the BENCH raing section ) has said what it will take, from a dig and a roll..

maybe you should spend a little bit more time on ls1tech... and SPECIFICALLY the SR&K section... thats how this place goes... you start a thread... within 1-2 pages it is highjacked for a few pages... sometimes it gets back on track... sometimes it doesnt... grow up and deal with it..

if you cant take a little bit of conversation in a thread.. http://www.honda-tech.com/

Trader Rating: 0

Trader Rating: 9

hang around this part of the forums a little bit more and you will see how these threads go.... and lighten up a little dude... seriously..
Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

let me rephrase my statement based on your hilarious post...

anyone knows what these cars run.. and anyone who knows what ls1s run with X number of mods... and anyone who ACTUALLY RACES (unlike some people that post in the BENCH raing section ) has said what it will take, from a dig and a roll..

maybe you should spend a little bit more time on ls1tech... and SPECIFICALLY the SR&K section... thats how this place goes... you start a thread... within 1-2 pages it is highjacked for a few pages... sometimes it gets back on track... sometimes it doesnt... grow up and deal with it..

if you cant take a little bit of conversation in a thread.. http://www.honda-tech.com/

Trader Rating: 0

Trader Rating: 9

hang around this part of the forums a little bit more and you will see how these threads go.... and lighten up a little dude... seriously..

Well obviously you are right, after all you HAVE been here longer right? What the hell does that have to do with it? I don't remember insulting you like you are me, and if you have a problem with those who post in the bench racing section then geee, maybe don't post here? These threads only get hijacked BECAUSE of people like you. I learned pretty quick that people didn't seem to like it when I inadvertantly hijacked their threads so I try not to. I don't see what your join date has to do with it. That doesn't automatically qualify you to "coach" me on how "lightened up" I am. I don't see what's wrong with me being a newb at racing either quite frankly? Everyone starts somewhere, that's why I'm posting in this section right?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well obviously you are right, after all you HAVE been here longer right? What the hell does that have to do with it? I don't remember insulting you like you are me, and if you have a problem with those who post in the bench racing section then geee, maybe don't post here? These threads only get hijacked BECAUSE of people like you. I learned pretty quick that people didn't seem to like it when I inadvertantly hijacked their threads so I try not to. I don't see what your join date has to do with it. That doesn't automatically qualify you to "coach" me on how "lightened up" I am. I don't see what's wrong with me being a newb at racing either quite frankly? Everyone starts somewhere, that's why I'm posting in this section right?
yes, i have been... DUH!

here are some people, to name just a few, that regularly post in the SR&K section, ask them how many times they have highjacked threads, and how well they get along with me..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=50027
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=117063
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=70073
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=135395
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=53346

i could go on with tugboat, etc... but that was to name a few.. we all do it man.. like i said HANG AROUND A LITTLE and you will see that...
that is also the reason posts dont count in this section because its mainly a BS forum (no offense Jay)

you being a noob to racing is exactly why you are posting in this section, you are exactly right.. i tried to help, along with others.. we all cut up, we all hang out here on a regular basis..

again, lighten up buddy...
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, i have been... DUH!

here are some people, to name just a few, that regularly post in the SR&K section, ask them how many times they have highjacked threads, and how well they get along with me..

i could go on with tugboat, etc... but that was to name a few.. we all do it man.. like i said HANG AROUND A LITTLE and you will see that...
that is also the reason posts dont count in this section because its mainly a BS forum (no offense Jay)

you being a noob to racing is exactly why you are posting in this section, you are exactly right.. i tried to help, along with others.. we all cut up, we all hang out here on a regular basis..

Why you dirty rotten son of a bitch!!!

No no, just kiddin'. I'm just tired of being corrected, having some smart *** remark, or being treated like i'm 10 years old (when I have 13 years on you). I don't need to be told what i'm reading and I was just a little upset at my thread being hogged. I did remain calm and polite though did I not? I guess I did sort of center you out though. I'm not really a new at racing, just a newb at racing some of the newer vehicles that are out. Before I owned my current hawk, I owned a 95 trans-am, and raced my dads built el camino. I'll say it again, I was 16 years old, racing when you were just out of diapers. So lets not **** on each other here now. How long you have been here has no significance other than the fact that you have a little more of an idea on how things work here. So with that being said, I appreciate your help and didn't intend on starting a feud I appologize for being a dick bro
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

:chant: fight fight fight
Old 01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

yes, i have been... DUH!

i like how im the second one on the list haha!

and yes WELCOME TO THE BENCH RACING SECTION! AND SR&K IS ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME SO YOU KNOW.

it happens, and most the time the newbs who get offended and start to fight back get kicked off because the mods know that most of the people in that list including Lemons12 have addedn quiet a bit of useful information more than once.

just thought i'd give you a tid bit of advice

don't take this section seriously because the second you do and start getting offensive, you usually will recieve a weeks free vacation!

but welcome to the site! enjoy posting
Old 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why you dirty rotten son of a bitch!!!

No no, just kiddin'. I'm just tired of being corrected, having some smart *** remark, or being treated like i'm 10 years old (when I have 13 years on you). I don't need to be told what i'm reading and I was just a little upset at my thread being hogged. I did remain calm and polite though did I not? I guess I did sort of center you out though. I'm not really a new at racing, just a newb at racing some of the newer vehicles that are out. Before I owned my current hawk, I owned a 95 trans-am, and raced my dads built el camino. I'll say it again, I was 16 years old, racing when you were just out of diapers. So lets not **** on each other here now. How long you have been here has no significance other than the fact that you have a little more of an idea on how things work here. So with that being said, I appreciate your help and didn't intend on starting a feud I apologize for being a dick bro
you arrogant son of a bitch newb...

PM was sent/replied... no problem, glad i could help.. and sorry if i came across wrong too bud!

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
i like how im the second one on the list haha!

and yes WELCOME TO THE BENCH RACING SECTION! AND SR&K IS ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME SO YOU KNOW.

it happens, and most the time the newbs who get offended and start to fight back get kicked off because the mods know that most of the people in that list including Lemons12 have addedn quiet a bit of useful information more than once.

just thought i'd give you a tid bit of advice

don't take this section seriously because the second you do and start getting offensive, you usually will recieve a weeks free vacation!

but welcome to the site! enjoy posting
and my back up arrives..
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to start restricting people's access soon.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
No no, just kiddin'. I appreciate your help and didn't intend on starting a feud I appologize for being a dick bro
you arrogant son of a bitch newb...

PM was sent/replied... no problem, glad i could help.. and sorry if i came across wrong too bud!

we are all friends here..
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213

*gulp. I hope that doesn't mean me?

I'm just a little slow at learning is all .

When it comes to the world of forums, I am definately a newb. There are some very helpful people on here that have helped a lot with that. Thanks Lemons.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

*gulp. I hope that doesn't mean me?

I'm just a little slow at learning is all .

When it comes to the world of forums, I am definately a newb. There are some very helpful people on here that have helped a lot with that. Thanks Lemons.
i think that was probably directed more towards the regulars...

but who knows, i doubt he will let us know also...

since Jay doesnt do any moderatoring in this section (except whine about people posting bench racing in the SR&K section), sometimes Unit has to come back here and throw down... !!!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I beat a stock GT500 with my stock Formula by about 4-5 cars from a dig (0-120mph)and about 2-3 cars from a roll(25-120mph). Of course the owner couldnt drive thou. The following weekend he paid another guy to drive his car and race me again. Heres the out come. We both let off around the 13-14 second mark since my et was a 13.2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUqBGKWDWyM
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
im gonna have to go ahead and say theres something wrong with that car or your buddy sucks at driving. my car went faster than that with over 100 less rwhp and a stock suspension on 17" mickey thompsons AND my car traped higher.
Hey I am a big fan of the 03/04 Termi but in his defense he isnt the best driver. I told him before he got the car he should get a Termi for less money and those cars are proven with the right driver and mods its a beast But he got what he wanted, I tell him all the time if he runs into a properly moded/driven termi he will get a rude awakening
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by davidbakergli
Oh yea, it def. sucks that it will only do that. but you got to remember, its almost 4k lbs and irs. But its fun to drive, and it honestly rides like a caddy compared to most sports cars, the interior is nice, and you dont see THAT many of them around. At least not around here that is. And it sounds great, the exhaust and the blower.

And really, lol, if you knew the photographer, youd'e shoot him the bird too.
yea but you pay over 50k for that you can buy a ls1 car and put the 50 k in it and have a bad bitch
Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

cam,bolt-ons,stall and tires and you should have him
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
what do you know bitch your car is never running to be able to take'em out

OP, nitrous would be the easiest cheapest way. They can be quicker than a Cobra but it takes a good driver. Peak torque at something like 2000rpm through a 6 speed with an SRA and narrow tires is a bitch at times...
The best ET for one is 12.2 I believe around 114

Oh ok. I figured with the solid rear axle they'd be a little easier to launch than a termi

Last edited by oddwraith; 02-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: How to beat a GT500.