Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

1998 Trans Am vs. RSX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Win. He speaks truth.

Speaking of k20. What happened to yours?
Sold it to the kid who helped me build it. And because 3v 4.6 > K20 as well
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Nice contribution

I don't care what you see, an RSX-S with just a tune will run down full bolt-on GS-Rs. I had the fastest stock GS-R I've ever seen or heard of, and I would barely beat stock RSX-Ss. And mine was a factory freak.
FWIW, my K20 swapped Civic would rape a stock and bolt on GS-R all day long
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

its sad how hondas have to have entire engine swaps and cant even get 11's
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had to add rather have a slow f body than a fast honda any day of the week!
I do like some imports the awd turbo dsms..the old supra twin turbos from the mid 90s, the twin turbo z's and rx7s. I also don't mind the new datsun z or g37.Gtr is interest and like the styling of the new eclipse just wish they were turbo awd like they used to be.
In fact if honda would build some turbo awd cars with nsx styling would maybe have more interest. Honda makes great bikes of course.

The only really impressive Honda styling wise to me was /is? the NSX. I will say that at least honda is still making two door coupes and do like two doors much better than 4 doors like the dumdumdumdum or subaru sti. And do think they are nice enough styling and make a nice chick car. I will more likely though be getting my daughters something more inline of a mustang or camaro as have seen whats left of these hondas in crashes. Also my grandkids were hurt pretty bad in a honda crash that would have been pretty minor crash in a decent sized car.
No doubt you can make any car fast. Throw enough money at it. So far have not lost on the track or off to a honda but sure the day will come sooner or later. There is always faster. But for the most part most of the hondas NA in my city are pretty darn slow no matter what the engine swap. Compared to even mildy built fourth gens especially ls1s. And like that dyno shows the torque and powerband of these little 4 bangers is pretty horrible.
And what really suprises is that an ls1 fourth gen can get similar mileage to a little honda 4 banger.
Add the big power adders and the hondas of course can put out some great numbers. Talking turbos mostly. But better have drag tires to have any hope of hooking up the fwd cars on track or off.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Guess they need an ls1 swap kit! They put ls1 pretty regularly into the nissans with good results. Still I say why bother making your honda fast. Just drive it ,enjoy it for what it is..enjoy the gas mileage and reliabilty.. and try not to cry when it does need any parts which of course it will...all cars break sooner or later. Athough my supposedly unreliable f bodies have been really good in that area. 96z only did alternator,water pump and window motor. 99 ta only did a top dash piece replacement for hairline cracks and killed the stock clutch racing buddies trying to get a good 60ft by slipping it. Pre the current mods when car was near stock.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

This poem always gives me a chuckle..
The Import Driver:

Twas last friday night and caught at the light,
Was a domestic V8 and no cops in sight,
I will try, I will try, I will try with this small motor,
To beat this **** Mustang, even with its juiced motor,
As the light goes green and I pull like no joke,
The Mustang erupts in clouds of tire smoke,
Now Smasher, now Rev-ver, now Stroker, now Blitzin,
These are the names of my four VTEC pistons,
Racing ahead I'm the star of the action,
But I know I'm in trouble when V8 gets traction,
Grabbing second, I hear the RPM's sing,
My mirror is blocked by my shopping kart wing,
I now hear the roar of the big monster gaining,
All I can do is keep the four-banger straining,
In a second, the shock wave hits with a blast,
And my stickers go flying now a thing of the past,
Don't bother with third, cause now it's too late,
Just try to act cool, like you can relate,
Looking up at the taillights as they get smaller,
The driver backs off just to give me a holler,
"You can't win them all," he says in fling,
"You may not win any, in that silly thing,"
I smiled and revved as he pulled out of sight,
With my new mods tomorrow…it will be a better night.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most hondas break apart the way they do though, because of dissapation of energy. They have the crumple zones, so the engine falls to the ground first, before going into the cab of the car. But in any extent...I would rather my kids (when I have them) to have a Trans Am also, over a civic. But with insurance...I'll just build them a boosted d motor or something.

Sarge.....What do you do for a living man? You seem to always have new cars and ****. But honestly...for me atleast...I would rather have the k20 civic. Insurance is dirt cheap, still gets good gas mileage, and can be pretty damn fast. Was it a k20a? Or a3? Atleast the stang is roomier, and has a much better interior, as well as looks...plus rwd.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
***Repost Police***

So what about people that swap LT1s into 3rd gens and run 12s/13s?
Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I will more likely though be getting my daughters something more inline of a mustang or camaro as have seen whats left of these hondas in crashes. Also my grandkids were hurt pretty bad in a honda crash that would have been pretty minor crash in a decent sized car.

It has to do with the type of car. Compare a Civic crash test to a Cavalier crash test, and the Civic wins hands down. Older Malibus compared to Accord, the Accord wins hands down. And honestly I'd rather be in a Civic than a Mustang or F-body in a crash. Have you ever seen crash tests for a 94-04 Mustang or 4th gen F-body?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

That is one thing I do like about Honda alot. Yea, their cars get fucked when you hit something, or get it. But its to save a life. Destroy the car, or keep the car intact, and destroy parts of your body. Like when my gf rear ended a mazda in her old 01 civic she had...totalled the car, but she just had a slight wrist injury, and her whole body was sore for about 2 weeks. She had been driving my truck, or some other sports car or something....I fear it would have been much worse.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Frontal Impact Test Side Impact Test
Drivers Side 5 Front Occupant 5
Passengers Side 5 Rear Occupant 5
2005 Honda Civic 2-DR. w/SAB Crash Test Scores
Frontal Head Injury Criterion Chest Deceleration (G's) Femur Load (pounds)
Drivers Side 305 40 151 338
Passengers Side 295 44 384 568
Side Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI) Pelvis Deceleration (G's)
Front Occupant 57 56
Rear Occupant 57 56
2005 Honda Civic 2-DR. w/SAB Rollover Ratings and Scores
Rollover Resistance Rating Static Stability Factor Dynamic Test
4 1.38 No-tip*

Drivers Side 4 Front Occupant 3
Passengers Side 5 Rear Occupant 4
1999 Pontiac Firebird 2-DR Crash Test Scores
Drivers Side 469 45 629 637
Passengers Side 328 38 639 585
Front Occupant 86 83
Rear Occupant 71 118
1999 Pontiac Firebird 2-DR Rollover Ratings and Scores
8 n/a

Newer civic does have near perfect ratings for collison. 1999 firebird was not as good.
Rollover resistance is pretty awful on that civic so its good it has the high collision ratings!
Also not sure these tests take into account bigger vehicles hitting smaller vehicles.
I have heard the smart cars are very safe too but seen a few of them wrecked and don't care what the ratings are for them much. Truck hits smart car or suv and usually smart car people die. I have seen several f bodies wrecked too. They didn't seem to do to bad but sometimes at way over legal speeds there will be a lot more damage of course.
Its all personal choice. In the collision I mentioned with my grandkids they were hurt extensively but have recovered ok. The suv driver wasn't hurt at all. All the people in the honda were hurt. Could they have been hurt worse if the honda didn't have the high ratings..maybe. And no idea what the ratings were on the suv that hit them. But ratings only mean so much in the real world.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM
***Repost Police***

Well some collisions it doesn't really matter what car you're in. It's all angles and speed. And though I don't plan to have kids anytime soon, if I had kids now they would be in a late 90s/early 00s Accord or something like that.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Oops think those numbers are out of 10 not 5! So if that is true the firebird was close to the civic in front and worse a bit on side.

2002 mustang that didn't copy was same as civic in front and bit worse than 99 firebird on the side I think.

For comparison sake here is a newer big truck..

2009 Ford F-350 4-DR. Crash Test Ratings
Drivers Side 8 Front Occupant 8
Passengers Side 8 Rear Occupant 8
2009 Ford F-350 4-DR. Crash Test Scores
Drivers Side n/a n/a n/a n/a
Passengers Side n/a n/a n/a n/a
Front Occupant n/a n/a
Rear Occupant n/a n/a
2009 Ford F-350 4-DR. Rollover Ratings and Scores
8 n/a

So looks like truck is much safer for your kids to be driving than either the honda or the f body or mustang. And as said at least that honda was terrible for rollover resistance not sure why. Maybe thats why honda guys usually lower them down so much to try to keep them from flying off the road?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Heres how a newer corvette does in crash tests..as good as the big truck and very good for rollover resistance. So not every sports car scores low. Even the very expensive mercedes costing couple hundred thousand didn't usually do much better than 8s across the board.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette 2-DR Crash Test Ratings
Drivers Side 8 Front Occupant 8
Passengers Side 8 Rear Occupant 8
2007 Chevrolet Corvette 2-DR Crash Test Scores
Drivers Side n/a n/a n/a n/a
Passengers Side n/a n/a n/a n/a
Front Occupant n/a n/a
Rear Occupant n/a n/a
2007 Chevrolet Corvette 2-DR Rollover Ratings and Scores
8 n/a n/a

But as said in the real world not quite as black and white.
Just crunching numbers guys..
I don't hate hondas as said at least they still make two doors.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

My friend was in a civic that rolled once, and caught on fire. Van pulled out and crossed 3 lanes, hit the civic, both rolling...civic once or twice, van multiple times. Gas tank leaked...didn't full rupture...and the civic was slightly on fire, turned upside down. He still cant travel on that road....messed him up phycologically (sp). And I do agree about real world...ratings don't mean ****. WAY WAY to many variables. But for the most part...rear ending a vehicle, getting rear ended, ect ect...the basic accidents if you will...I wouldn't mind my kids either being a tank of a truck (our old 95 dodge 3500 comes to mind), or a civic. Of course..bXc type of truck hitting the civic will do horrible amounts of damage...but stock size vehicles hitting stock sized civic...should be really safe.

Holy **** we got off topic. lol.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
So looks like truck is much safer for your kids to be driving than either the honda or the f body or mustang. And as said at least that honda was terrible for rollover resistance not sure why. Maybe thats why honda guys usually lower them down so much to try to keep them from flying off the road?
I put more value on being able to avoid accidents if at all possible. Cars are able to do so much better than trucks (in general), so it's a matter of finding the best balance.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

^ but 99% of the accident you get into you dont even know are gunna happen until they do.

i used to use that arguement with my dad when i was 16, in a small car ill just juice it or brake real hard and get out of the way.

but in reality crashes that you see before they happen [or you see with enough time to reach] hardly ever happen, most the time it is someone not paying attention rear-ending you or running a red light.

and what was this threads topic again!?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has to do with the type of car. Compare a Civic crash test to a Cavalier crash test, and the Civic wins hands down. Older Malibus compared to Accord, the Accord wins hands down. And honestly I'd rather be in a Civic than a Mustang or F-body in a crash. Have you ever seen crash tests for a 94-04 Mustang or 4th gen F-body?
never seen an 94 - 04 crash test of a mustang, but I was t boned by a mercury grand marquis doing 60 while I was doing 50 and thrown into oncoming traffic swiped by a F150 and then slammed into a telephone pole in my firebird. Mercury driver and passangers sent to the hospital, F150 driver severe neck/spine injury helicoptered out. I took a taxi home because the car was totalled, no scratches no bruises no later on injuries. Just really sad becuase I loved my bird. Was in a 20 mph bumper to bumper car accident in my sisters old accord, she was bruised by the seat belt but ok and i got my shoulder dislocated by the passanger side airbag.

Been in a bad accident in my friend Grand Am, it was rolled 2 times, we both got out fine just shooken up.

Don't know about the actual test results, but the f150 and the merc are big heavy cars againt my v6 bird and based on that and my own experience, hell yes i would rather my kid be in an fbody than a small import. Man I had a kid hit my trans am in the rear going 30, I was at a stopped at a red light and his civic was destroyed and my baby only needed a new bumper and muffler. The kid wasn't in good shape either, I was perfect just pissed. Hi radiator broke in two and a piece went flying through the windshield because the hood hindges broke on impact ad the hood rolled forward from the windshield like a sardine can. and he was bleeding oil, anti freeze and wiper fluid, it was towed and scraped
Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

?

Never met anyone or seen any 3rd gen lt-1 car swaps but seen plenty of ls-1 third gen's. Either way the Lt-1 is a good motor, id take a 383 lt-1 over any honda any day......3rd gens are lighter than 4th gens but you wouldnt know since you always seem to know everything about cars you have never owned
Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Never met anyone or seen any 3rd gen lt-1 car swaps but seen plenty of ls-1 third gen's. Either way the Lt-1 is a good motor, id take a 383 lt-1 over any honda any day......3rd gens are lighter than 4th gens but you wouldnt know since you always seem to know everything about cars you have never owned
When did I say anything about LT1s being bad motors? And I'd love a 383-LT1 swapped 3rd gen too; it'd be a mean ride. But you take a stock LT1, and put it in a 3rd gen F-body, and you have what? A 13s ride. Which is the same as putting a K20 or B18C in a Civic hatchback. Which is the argument you made in the first place.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

When did I say anything about LT1s being bad motors? And I'd love a 383-LT1 swapped 3rd gen too; it'd be a mean ride. But you take a stock LT1, and put it in a 3rd gen F-body, and you have what? A 13s ride. Which is the same as putting a K20 or B18C in a Civic hatchback. Which is the argument you made in the first place.
I never made any arguement about swapping in LT-1's you brought that up, I just never got why honda guys spend so much time doing motor swaps to run what my car will do with just basic bolt ons, and guys swapping motors in hondas out number guys swapping LT-1's in third gens, thats actually a bad example since no 1 really does it that much......go to any hot rod show and most cars now are running LSx motors

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am vs. RSX Type-S