Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Subaru Sti

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subaru Sti

Hey guys i'm pretty sure i know the out come of this one but i thought i'd get everyones .02 on it. So i've got this idiot kid that has no idea what he is talking about (he asked me how much my car was "boosting" because he thought camaro ss came super charged stock). Anyways he wants to race.
I have a 2000 Camaro SS, it has long tube headers, ORY, and a hooker exhaust, otherwise stock. He has, i believe, a 2005 Subaru Sti with a turbo back exhaust, no cat. What do you think the outcome will be?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

has he been tuned? a good dyno tune really opens up the sti's. you should beat him assuming equal driving skill. race him from a roll to take away the awd advantage.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

No he doesn't have a tune, i forgot to mention the SS is auto
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

No stall?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
has he been tuned? a good dyno tune really opens up the sti's. you should beat him assuming equal driving skill. race him from a roll to take away the awd advantage.
This is great, I love how people here **** talk about people who have to win races from a roll are ricers and now you give that advice. I am not attacking you so do think this is against you but I just thought the advice was funny and I'm used to hearing the opposite. Race from a dig like a man and see who wins, if you lose then you lose, but if you win then he won't have any excuses.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

No stall. And we plan to race from a dig. I don't think it will be to bad, its pretty easy for a kid like him to bog the launch and the SS doesn't have any problems hooking from a stand. If he wants to run from a roll thats fine but in that case i wouldn't have even asked this question. AWD soaks up a lot of power on the top end and LS1's aren't exactly slouches in the top end.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
This is great, I love how people here **** talk about people who have to win races from a roll are ricers and now you give that advice. I am not attacking you so do think this is against you but I just thought the advice was funny and I'm used to hearing the opposite. Race from a dig like a man and see who wins, if you lose then you lose, but if you win then he won't have any excuses.
If we raced from a dig, then be a man and go to 150, not 60 you ******* awd moron. This is WHY we race from rolls, because it forces your cars to actually move, not only go to 60 or 70 and call it a race because you pulled a car off the line with you cutting a 1.5 60ft..
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by phoenix305
No stall. And we plan to race from a dig. I don't think it will be to bad, its pretty easy for a kid like him to bog the launch and the SS doesn't have any problems hooking from a stand. If he wants to run from a roll thats fine but in that case i wouldn't have even asked this question. AWD soaks up a lot of power on the top end and LS1's aren't exactly slouches in the top end.
If your a auto without a stall, I would be careful, those cars can move and will move with a good driver. Don't take this the wrong way but from a dig or a roll he might have you but it will only be like a car or something. I have raced stock stis and killed them up top easy, but the moment they do exhaust work.. For example: Raced a friend with a stock sti, beat him was all fine and all, few weeks later he got a 4inch downpipe and 3inch straight back exhaust. We raced and he pulled about 3cars on me from a roll and we went to 130mph. After I got my headers,ory,and cutout we raced again and were about dead even but I was beginning to pull up top. He was untunned, with a tune those things are deadly but even without one they will give you a hell of a run for your money.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fccs
If we raced from a dig, then be a man and go to 150, not 60 you ******* awd moron. This is WHY we race from rolls, because it forces your cars to actually move, not only go to 60 or 70 and call it a race because you pulled a car off the line with you cutting a 1.5 60ft..
Nice name calling, I think I hit a nerve. Once again I simply stated that I thought it was funny because most people who won't race from a dig are called ricers here or have ricer excuses. Have a real race and go from a dig to see where you stand.

BTW, my car still pulls decent up top even having AWD+Auto
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Nice name calling, I think I hit a nerve. Once again I simply stated that I thought it was funny because most people who won't race from a dig are called ricers here or have ricer excuses. Have a real race and go from a dig to see where you stand.

BTW, my car still pulls decent up top even having AWD+Auto
When I agree with sti, evo, eagle talons, all those people about going from a dig. They want to go to like 80mph or something. THAT ISNT A RACE, thats a riced out race. I don't mind going from a roll or a dig, from a roll we have advantage because of traction issues, but from a dig grow some ***** and do it flat out, up to 130 or something of a nice mph to see who actually is faster.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Teching In

I would go from a dig to normal 1/4 traps but thats just me. If I was going to roll race why not start low like 30-40 then go to about normal trap speeds or just a little after that.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

I would go from a dig to normal 1/4 traps but thats just me. If I was going to roll race why not start low like 30-40 then go to about normal trap speeds or just a little after that.
Umm... some cars pull like a freight train in top end (figure your average built supras).

Some of those cars will ONLY run from 80-90 rolls. It's a pretty dumb argument in the first place.

Race whatever you want, and don't make excuses really. On the same token, don't be a retard when you win a quick 30-60 pull on the highway.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

i totally disagree with this- race from a dig to see whos the better driver, race from a roll to see whos faster

but to the OP def race from a roll those things are ******* slow from a roll (dont bash me for that) they have to power 4 wheels to your 2- remember that

if you race from a dig its gana be a game of catch-up

EDIT: just finished reading the whole thread- before i had my 12 bolt i raced my friends GTO (from a 20) and took him by a length (i was spinning bad) he then raced an STi (from a 30) with nearly full bolt ons and walked him by 2 lengths to 60 and over a bus by 100- i was in the STi and he def knew how to drive

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 04-29-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i totally disagree with this- race from a dig to see whos the better driver, race from a roll to see whos faster
I disagree, your taking a AWD + Turbo car from a roll, it won't show who is faster. If both cars trap exactly 110MPH and race from a roll guess who should win... Not the STI because it takes time to spool the turbo and doesn't pull as hard up top. Even brake boosting doesn't totally compensate for the turbo lag so it really isn't a fair race.

I raced a bike that traps 125ish vs my 130ish and he pulled a good car length on me from a 60 roll but by 130 I only had about 2ish. From a dig though it wasn't even close. Without brake boosting it was almost even at 130
Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

i originally had in that that there were 2 exceptions but i guess i took it out...

from a roll, the turbo guy should jsut pick a speed that his turbo is all spooled up and ready to go just like a NA guy wants to have his car around 4700rpm so hes right in his power band- what you saying doesnt make sense- if your going to race from a 30 and your rpm is 6200 in first and 4000 in second (completely hypothetical) obv your going to pick first so your turbo is spooled

racing from a roll is all about finding a speed that both drivers are happy with where their RPMs are and going ***** to the wall
Old 04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Teching In

^ Its called turbo lag for a reason, no matter what RPM you will have some lag time and that is a disadvantage.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

from my experience with driving a stg 2 sti, brake boosting takes out most of the lag, they fall on their face over 100 but are fun around town. they are quick cars but they are no ls1.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Sti's work very well with brake boosting, and if tuned with a full exhaust you WILL run into trouble. Won't be a easy win then, but if they're stock then you can beat them after 100

Quick Reply: Subaru Sti