watch from 1:50 to 2:10 and tell me an auto is more fun
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by marriard
I truly wish automatics didn't exist - or at least that people had to learn to drive a stick before getting their drivers license.

And with a stick - it would reduce the # of people on their cell phone and eating lunch and reading and the other variety of non-driving activities people seem to think are OK to do while driving. Yes you can do all these with a manual vehicle, but if you aren't a good driver, it isn't going to go well.
Do you really believe that? I sure don't. I'd say it's more likely that the idiots who choose to perform some of the more ridiculous activities while driving, would continue to perform said activities while driving a manual as well. The difference is they will be even more dangerous, because they'll also be distracted by having to shift, in addition to their "non-driving" activities. In any case, it's a moot point, because truly good drivers do not talk on the phone, read, put on their makeup, or do their nails while driving.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bugsy
Do you really believe that? I sure don't. I'd say it's more likely that the idiots who choose to perform some of the more ridiculous activities while driving, would continue to perform said activities while driving a manual as well. The difference is they will be even more dangerous, because they'll also be distracted by having to shift, in addition to their "non-driving" activities. In any case, it's a moot point, because truly good drivers do not talk on the phone, read, put on their makeup, or do their nails while driving.
Agreed
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Agreed x2
Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Actually I do believe it.

And I also can prove it. Go to Australia and drive there. Look up Australian road fatality stats and see how far they have dropped over the years. Proper licensing and driving practices plus enforced 'hands-free' and other related laws.

It is an absolute pleasure to drive in Australia. Not saying there are no idiots, because there are idiots everywhere, but the #'s on the road are heavily reduced.

Of course I have to drive in Florida every day...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by marriard
Actually I do believe it.

And I also can prove it. Go to Australia and drive there. Look up Australian road fatality stats and see how far they have dropped over the years. Proper licensing and driving practices plus enforced 'hands-free' and other related laws.

It is an absolute pleasure to drive in Australia. Not saying there are no idiots, because there are idiots everywhere, but the #'s on the road are heavily reduced.

Of course I have to drive in Florida every day...
I agree with both of your points. Having a 'lazy tranny' for daily commuting allows the driver to turn their focus on other aspects. But the problem is MUCH BIGGER than that. Cops need to start enforcing the laws that are in place instead of looking primarily for speeders only.

However, this discussion is about performance cars. If I had an all out track car (single digit guaranteed) that was trailored (primarily) then I'd say a built auto. outside of that...I'll keep my Manual tranny.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This topic is getting a little stretched haha. Bottom line is if all you care about is running the fastest most consistent time at a drag strip, being boring and just sitting there, get a auto. If you care about fun and all around driving, drifting, road racing, drag strip, then get a manual. It's just a fricken preference.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fccs
This topic is getting a little stretched haha. Bottom line is if all you care about is running the fastest most consistent time at a drag strip, being boring and just sitting there, get a auto. If you care about fun and all around driving, drifting, road racing, drag strip, then get a manual. It's just a fricken preference.
Thats your opinion, I personally dont think its "boring" to drive a auto. And, ive owned 3 m6's... The bottom line, as you would put it, should be...

If you want to sit back and not worry about shifting, rear ends, clutches, and get more consistant times get a auto. If you want to shift all the time, street race, and worry about clutches and rear ends get a manual.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fccs
I'm glad you think your opinion is superior, but I disagree that autos are boring... Namely stalled autos

Manual guys seem to need to establish some type of superiority... I have never understood why. Must have been on the receiving end of one too many auto holeshots
Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the first manual I've owned, and it makes even the better autos I've driven a total bore fest in comparison. You might as well have the computer drive the whole car for you. Yay, jumping off the line for the first 100 feet or so are fun, but then every other aspect of it is totally lame and uninvolved.
And if you are worried about consistency grow a pair and learn how to drive.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Must have been on the receiving end of one too many auto holeshots
Surprisingly I haven't had many issues with that ... But I have seen it be the deciding factor in WAY to many races.

Seriously though guys it's all about what YOU want. Thats why this has been asked so many times and why no one ever agrees.

BTW M6's can be surprisingly consistant with practice
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This is the first manual I've owned, and it makes even the better autos I've driven a total bore fest in comparison. You might as well have the computer drive the whole car for you. Yay, jumping off the line for the first 100 feet or so are fun, but then every other aspect of it is totally lame and uninvolved.
And if you are worried about consistency grow a pair and learn how to drive.
Grow a pair?! Dude grow up..... Its a personal preference! get over it. GM made 2 transmission options ohh no! the worlds gunna end!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Surprisingly I haven't had many issues with that ... But I have seen it be the deciding factor in WAY to many races.

Seriously though guys it's all about what YOU want. Thats why this has been asked so many times and why no one ever agrees.

BTW M6's can be surprisingly consistant with practice
This is true!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pat-ls101
Grow a pair?! Dude grow up..... Its a personal preference! get over it. GM made 2 transmission options ohh no! the worlds gunna end!
I thought that "grow a pair" remark was directed towards the M6 drivers. Since that's always an arguing factor against six speeds.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

I thought that "grow a pair" remark was directed towards the M6 drivers. Since that's always an arguing factor against six speeds.
Nope, that comment was made by one "misinformed" individual thats watched the Fast and Furious too much....
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No it was toward the crybabies that think manuals are too inconsistent. Autos are consistent because the driver doesn't drive the car.

Originally Posted by pat-ls101
Nope, that comment was made by one "misinformed" individual thats watched the Fast and Furious too much....
Not quite, I prefer real racing (road racing/auto-x) to that boring strait line stuff.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Not quite, I prefer real racing (road racing/auto-x) to that boring strait line stuff.
That's just ignorant. That's like someone saying boring circle stuff. Going 0-130+ is hardly boring......oh, in 1320' IE: 10 seconds. Just like sling shoting out of a turn to increase your lead or pass someone is hardly boring.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Launching!

BTW M6's can be surprisingly consistent with practice
x a bazillion lol
with some skill you can launch a manual just as hard as a auto, just invest in a serious clutch and of course the rear, slip the clutch and your gone.
although i do agree there is alot more room for error.
but once you have some time under your belt i feel it can be consistent.

oh and that vid was bad ***, that guy threw his body into every shift.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Launching!

LOL pony i was just looking at your avatar and it looks like that mustang is doing a FWD burnout.

Last edited by the jester 812; 09-20-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Stick shift or auto?