26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Dig racing or Roll racing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
IMO it just depends. When you get into higher HP you simply can't dig race on the street without some prep and some rubber laid down. For impromteu street racing roll racing seems to work for most cars. It really just depends, I like roll racing because it is easier on parts, it can be started quicker (no burn out/lining up/etc) and power is the winner, mph owns roll racing.

On the flip side, dig races are really fun, my T/A 1.3 60' and felt like a rocket, that feeling is hard to top. For me, roll racing for the street, digs for the track. If you are making 400RWHP, do whatever you want, you'll hook either way, lol.
That makes sense to me. I think though that if one is on the street, using street tires are as good or better (in most cases) to a drag radial (which is not designed with shitty street pavement in mind ). Street tires work the best on the street (and need no burnout-I hope people don't burn their streets ) and work like **** at the track no matter what the prep. I say if your car is primarily street use, go with street tires (good ones), and if your car sees a fair amount of strip time go with MTs. If it's a track car, you'd be a fool not to use a good DR out back imo.

People have a hard time believing that street tires do exactly what they should FOR THE STREET!lol. Maybe stickies work on the streets as good or better (in some cases) but they are not worth the sacrifice if your ride never goes to the track (not worth the 10 bolt in that case either). Just my two cents but I thought I'd mention that since there are so many who run drag radial on the shitty black top streets they run on. Waste of money imo. Am I way off here folks?

As far as the roll vs. dig- I see benefits for both depending on what the situation warrants, and on what the guy in the fart canned civic hatch wants to do to stomp your beloved ls-powered fbody into the pavement (or shitty black top in some cases lol). Not too many of 'em i worry about, most that make good power haven't figured out how to get traction yet anyways lol. Sorry for the long *** post.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Whoever mentioned awhile back that all the guys who own stalled autos are the same ones saying roll racing sucks, was dead on. It's retarded to say roll racing is stupid just because that's not what your car was built for, just as the opposite holds true for M6 guys.
You may be right, but it aint just stalled auto guys saying that.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever mentioned awhile back that all the guys who own stalled autos are the same ones saying roll racing sucks, was dead on. It's retarded to say roll racing is stupid just because that's not what your car was built for, just as the opposite holds true for M6 guys.
yeah its just as dumb as saying that road racing/autox/etc is dumb because your car isnt good at it.

just build a car, shut up and race what ever the race.

i mean i know people who run 1/8 miles one day, then hit up the local road course a different day, get seen stomping people on video in roll races then drive down to miami for a 1 mile blast on a runway.

yet here the big issue is why everyone isnt lifting fronts on the street from the lights. there are many different types of racing out there, go enjoy your car in as many types of racing as possible.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I think though that if one is on the street, using street tires are as good or better (in most cases) to a drag radial (which is not designed with shitty street pavement in mind ). Street tires work the best on the street (and need no burnout-I hope people don't burn their streets ) and work like **** at the track no matter what the prep. I say if your car is primarily street use, go with street tires (good ones), and if your car sees a fair amount of strip time go with MTs. If it's a track car, you'd be a fool not to use a good DR out back imo.

People have a hard time believing that street tires do exactly what they should FOR THE STREET!lol. Maybe stickies work on the streets as good or better (in some cases) but they are not worth the sacrifice if your ride never goes to the track (not worth the 10 bolt in that case either). Just my two cents but I thought I'd mention that since there are so many who run drag radial on the shitty black top streets they run on. Waste of money imo. Am I way off here folks?
You dont have the slightest idea what you are talking about. A COLD drag radial will tear a good street tire a new ***. A hot drag radial is not nearly in the same class as a street tire. There is a big difference. But just so you know, even cold, the DR is a lot stickier.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Waste of money imo. Am I way off here folks?
Yes, you're WAY off on almost everything you've posted.

DRs or slicks is a MUST for DIG racing, unless you're not putting out any power at all. I've hooked my stalled h/c car on concrete AND asphalt, with AND without VHT, but I've also spun on both pavements also (weather, tire psi permitting).

The new generation started this roll racing BS. They weren't doing that roll crap in the 80s, 90s or even early 00s from what I've seen!

REAL drag/streetracing is from a dig. It seperates the men from the boys.
See, this is a prime example why REAL racing has turned into ****. Go to the track and see if they'll let you do a 40 mph punch from the 60' mark.

I've seen manual cars hook on the street also (hint: suspension), so there shouldn't be any crying about not hooking. Their suspension is right and they tend to not worry about how much rwhp they're putting out on a "dyno"..
Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
IMO it just depends. When you get into higher HP you simply can't dig race on the street without some prep and some rubber laid down. For impromteu street racing roll racing seems to work for most cars. It really just depends, I like roll racing because it is easier on parts, it can be started quicker (no burn out/lining up/etc) and power is the winner, mph owns roll racing.

On the flip side, dig races are really fun, my T/A 1.3 60' and felt like a rocket, that feeling is hard to top. For me, roll racing for the street, digs for the track. If you are making 400RWHP, do whatever you want, you'll hook either way, lol.
To this day, I still can not grasp that reasoning. It's commented as if there is no driver error at all, and high rpms/screwed shifts (etcetera) can't screw up parts. The only real parts that get 'saved' have to do with the rear end. And even that depends on the power and the setup. As for power is the winner, IMO, that's one of the more ignorant comments I've heard regarding racing. Why? cause it is very much far from the truth/reality.

(no offense directed at you personally trust)

As far as the roll vs. dig- I see benefits for both depending on what the situation warrants, and on what the guy in the fart canned civic hatch wants to do to stomp your beloved ls-powered fbody into the pavement (or shitty black top in some cases lol). Not too many of 'em i worry about, most that make good power haven't figured out how to get traction yet anyways lol. Sorry for the long *** post.
Bingo!!!.....I aint' gonna do a dig race on a freakin' highway. However, it's the ones that choose roll over dig for lame reasons, or refuse to do dig and roll when setting up a race that I just dont' understand.

Originally Posted by shortdog
I've seen manual cars hook on the street also (hint: suspension), so there shouldn't be any crying about not hooking. Their suspension is right and they tend to not worry about how much rwhp they're putting out on a "dyno"..
I agree...............to a point. serious powered cars wont' hook up on the street without the right setup. Then again, if they have that much HP and good of a suspension, it will most likely be a 'take out with the weather is nice and always have DRs on it' anyway.

My AB mach wasn't anything to puff your chest out about, but it was no slouch either. I was able to feather enough to get traction with 430/410rwpower in December when it was ~40 deg out. I just think skill/ability has been seriously over looked by many so they simply want to do roll races instead of hone in their own skills and become a better driver. (not everyone obviously).
Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You dont have the slightest idea what you are talking about. A COLD drag radial will tear a good street tire a new ***. A hot drag radial is not nearly in the same class as a street tire. There is a big difference. But just so you know, even cold, the DR is a lot stickier.
Ok well let's not be a jerk about it man I'd still take a street tire over anything else if I don't go to the track. Thanks for correcting me, but I did say I "think", not I "know"! It seems to me also that I've read on here before that streets are fine for the street, but I dare not say anymore.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you're WAY off on almost everything you've posted.

DRs or slicks is a MUST for DIG racing, unless you're not putting out any power at all. I've hooked my stalled h/c car on concrete AND asphalt, with AND without VHT, but I've also spun on both pavements also (weather, tire psi permitting).

The new generation started this roll racing BS. They weren't doing that roll crap in the 80s, 90s or even early 00s from what I've seen!

REAL drag/streetracing is from a dig. It seperates the men from the boys.

See, this is a prime example why REAL racing has turned into ****. Go to the track and see if they'll let you do a 40 mph punch from the 60' mark.

Almost everything I posted? Hmmm. Let's not get carried away. I also said that one should roll race OR dig depending on what the situation warranted. I believe streets are fine for the street (as good or better since you still retain the same wear and cornering ability). I also said that people shouldn't warm up their streets by doing a burnout. Hardly qualifies as "almost everything".

Last edited by oddwraith; 03-24-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nobody is being a jerk. Im stopping you and telling you that you shouldn't let internet goofballs tell you a street tire is better for the street. Even Nittos, which are known to not be sticky will pick up all kind of rocks and stuff going through parking lots. The tread compound is clearly more geared towards performance and is superior to a street tire. Could you imagine some guy/girl busting $1000+ a set on some great tires then driving through a parking lot and hearing rocks cling repeatedly in all his wheelwells. He'd be bringing the tires back immediately. Or how about said tires producing only 10k miles before they were bare. The brand name would be trashed for its lifespan. "Most" production tires simply aren't performance orientated, and a DR will dominate it in traction. I know specifically bc I have 6 rims to my car. Fronts stay the same and I swap rear sets whenever I feel like it. One set has Sumis and the other set has Nittos. There is No comparison between the 2 sets.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, when did this site become so full of people with opinions and no manners? I like being corrected when I'm wrong, but it seems that sometimes people read only what they want to. Try reading the post again, I admitted that stickies may be better on the street, did you read that? I am not selling my opinion nor what I "thought" as gospel here. I have been corrected so thankyou for that, but there is a better way to enlighten someone than to say that he/she has no idea what they are talking about. Just sounds like a smug statement.

Last edited by oddwraith; 03-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody is being a jerk. Im stopping you and telling you that you shouldn't let internet goofballs tell you a street tire is better for the street. Even Nittos, which are known to not be sticky will pick up all kind of rocks and stuff going through parking lots. The tread compound is clearly more geared towards performance and is superior to a street tire. Could you imagine some guy/girl busting $1000+ a set on some great tires then driving through a parking lot and hearing rocks cling repeatedly in all his wheelwells. He'd be bringing the tires back immediately. Or how about said tires producing only 10k miles before they were bare. The brand name would be trashed for its lifespan. "Most" production tires simply aren't performance orientated, and a DR will dominate it in traction. I know specifically bc I have 6 rims to my car. Fronts stay the same and I swap rear sets whenever I feel like it. One set has Sumis and the other set has Nittos. There is No comparison between the 2 sets.
There are ways to tell someone correct information without insulting them. This site relies on newbs too, and I was pretty open about not stating what I said as "fact". Anyways, thanks for the info-work on your approach.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please dont send me another PM titled "hey man what gives"
Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats roll racing? That's not racing sorry. If you have enough money to build a fast car and it wont hook then thats your own fault for not being smart enough to do suspension and tires with it. Dig FTMFW.

What professional motorsport is roll racing in a straight line? Oh wait there is none because it takes no talent
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 AM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Almost everything I posted? Hmmm. Let's not get carried away. I also said that one should roll race OR dig depending on what the situation warranted.
I'm not carried away at all. Reread your first two paragraphs and try to figure out how stupid that sounds.
I believe streets are fine for the street (as good or better since you still retain the same wear and cornering ability).
We're not talking about cornering ability, we're talking what's best for drag racing. This isn't nascar or drifting.
I also said that people shouldn't warm up their streets by doing a burnout. Hardly qualifies as "almost everything".
Yes it does.. The "majority" of your post was way off, bottom line. 01ssreda4, myself and even Stevie Wonder can see that.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, and thanks for the info. I was talking about in general actually (including cornering) and I just thought that streets were better for the streets. Roll racing isn't drag racing imo and I don't believe heating up street tires will get you anywhere (in fact it causes the rubber compound to become "greasy"-from what I hear ) I re read both paragraphs and don't retract anything other than that maybe stickies hook better (even on the street-that I can't confirm though, I've just heard that street tires work best on the street, not on the track (guess that's wrong too ). I still think streets do exactly what they are supposed to do on the street. I still think they last longer too. I also believe it to be pointless to heat them up. Like I said, streets are good for the street and drs for the track. Unless you're making some big power, learning how to launch on streets wouldn't kill you. Someone like me is not going to invest in drs when I don't race often and hardly ever see the track. Mine is a daily driver with lower power output. I can launch just fine without them. Sorry that sounds stupid to you.

01SSreda4 posted- "Please dont send me another PM titled "hey man what gives"? Ok? Was that from like a year ago or something? Surely you must have something better to do other than to dig up old pms where I previously corrected you on your manners. Trust me, you aint hurting my feelings. You just come off as a jerk sometimes.

Last edited by oddwraith; 03-25-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not referring to street racing for money, nor am I referring to racing at the track. My car is a street car, I drive it on the street. My comments were in the context of what I encounter while driving. I'm much more likely to come across a roll race than something from a dig. This is why I said either option should be acceptable regardless of trans type. If I'm driving to work on the highway and someone wants to race, should I signal him to pullover so we can close 2 lanes of traffic and go from a dig?

I'm sorry if this contributes to ruining your REAL racing.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Launching!

around here all the racing that goes on is from a roll, all the hondas dont like going from a dig because they dont have the torque to get them moving, and most of the time i like to go from a roll because then people cant make the excuse that they didnt hook or got a bad start.

Quick Reply: Dig racing or Roll racing???