Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

2011 Mustang GT - GM better power up

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
R U kidding me? YOur cockring has a bowtie on it. ANd YOU'Re giving us **** abotu being biased?

Hmmm....dang. I guess Shelby american has their hands full for putting out a boosted 5.0 at 550hp.

There's nothing wrong with going with a blower at 11 CR. If you knew anything about FI, you'd know that. They question is only, what boost, what blower, and you had better make sure it's tuned right.
do i prefer GM? yes. do i hate ford or dodge? far from it. the only ford product i bash is the 2v's and rightly so. you just get frothing mad because i run on facts rather than ford fanboi fiction.

I've owned a boosted mach and an 03 cobra.

My only point is people (generally) see high CR and automatically think that's horrible for boosting. That's so not the case. As you pointed out, it depends greatly on the boost amount. Not only that (as I stated), it varies on boost type (PD, CEntrf., and turbo) along with tune. CR is also not the only thing to consider...as you pointed out there's the cylinder walls, etc. to consider. My only point is, to simply make a blinding statemetn of 'boosting high CR would be crazy' is just plain ignorant.

So in short, you and I agree.

FTR - I thinking putting a PD blower on 11CR is crazy. But, that's just me. If I did that, I wouldn't boost it very much, even with forged internals. I'd go wth a turbo or Centrif. myself.

now that was funny.
so you try to give me your little boy internet hell for saying the new 5.0 wont accept high amounts of boost, then you come out and say the same thing? oh you silly sausage, for shame.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not so sure that went that way. But ok.

I never understood the psychological need or desire to bash any car. It actually projects deep seated issues elsewhere.

But if one doesn't mind coming off that way, Then go at it.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by big hammer
do i prefer GM? yes. do i hate ford or dodge? far from it. the only ford product i bash is the 2v's and rightly so. you just get frothing mad because i run on facts rather than ford fanboi fiction.

so you try to give me your little boy internet hell for saying the new 5.0 wont accept high amounts of boost, then you come out and say the same thing? oh you silly sausage, for shame.
We'll just call it as we obviously aren't understanding something each others saying.

No need to continue this BS IMO.

And check out the beat a cobra in the SRK section if you really think I'm a Ford Fanboy.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer
i've already covered all this, plus you're engaging in speculation. the new 5.0 isn't going to accept large amounts of boost due to it's high compression. it's limits atthis point remain to be seen, but 500+ hp should be obtainable.

i also went on to say that if it was built to run on boost (low compression) i'm willing to bet that the new 5.0 will make some serious numbers.
big boost does not always mean low compression. **** i have seen a 10.5:1 compression 358 CI small block make 36lbs of boost with an f2 procharger. its all in the tune. the new motor wont be able to handle big boost because of the weak rod and piston.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
big boost does not always mean low compression. **** i have seen a 10.5:1 compression 358 CI small block make 36lbs of boost with an f2 procharger. its all in the tune. the new motor wont be able to handle big boost because of the weak rod and piston.

It's not all in the tune. There is nothing magical about a tune. Quality parts gets the job done. People just can't throw a hack tune into a setup like that. Unfortunately, there are a million hacks out there.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
Sure...on C16. but not on pump.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Boost on High Compression.... Define High Compression?!? Static compression has some play in the amount of boost you put in an engine but more so is dynamic compression. Dynamic compression is more so actual compression taking the cam's bleadoff into consideration. So with that said I don't think the new motor in the GT mustang is going to not take boost. Hell there are guy's on this board that have thrown 19psi to a stock LS2 and made 800+rwhp and matching torque and thats an 11:1 static compression motor, granted it was on 110octane fuel it still shows it can be done. These same people were running 8-10psi on 93octane as well.

Now back on topic... does this new mustang whoop the new camaro?

I don't think it will because it lacks the torque to do so. In the past the high revving DOHC engines that did run decent were normally in lighter weight cars with alot of gearing to make use of high RPM HP which is the only advantage they had cause they didn't make any torque. Now the new GT is def lighter than the newer GM or Dodge car's but even so it is still around 3600lbs which is significantly heavier than pre S197 body style mustangs. In my experience to make a heavier car move out well you need torque also in the equation and not only a high strung high revving torqueless motor. Now I may be looking at all this wrong and this new car may prove me wrong but that is my take on it and I don't think it's gonna have the nuts to keep up with the torque monster of the LS3.

Here is a Dyno Run of the new 5.0...
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ang-gt-50.html
Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
Boost on High Compression.... Define High Compression?!? Static compression has some play in the amount of boost you put in an engine but more so is dynamic compression. Dynamic compression is more so actual compression taking the cam's bleadoff into consideration. So with that said I don't think the new motor in the GT mustang is going to not take boost. Hell there are guy's on this board that have thrown 19psi to a stock LS2 and made 800+rwhp and matching torque and thats an 11:1 static compression motor, granted it was on 110octane fuel it still shows it can be done. These same people were running 8-10psi on 93octane as well.

Now back on topic... does this new mustang whoop the new camaro?

I don't think it will because it lacks the torque to do so. In the past the high revving DOHC engines that did run decent were normally in lighter weight cars with alot of gearing to make use of high RPM HP which is the only advantage they had cause they didn't make any torque. Now the new GT is def lighter than the newer GM or Dodge car's but even so it is still around 3600lbs which is significantly heavier than pre S197 body style mustangs. In my experience to make a heavier car move out well you need torque also in the equation and not only a high strung high revving torqueless motor. Now I may be looking at all this wrong and this new car may prove me wrong but that is my take on it and I don't think it's gonna have the nuts to keep up with the torque monster of the LS3.

Here is a Dyno Run of the new 5.0...
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ang-gt-50.html
I disagree.......it's a tad lighter than a cobra, higher HP and only a tad less tq. TQ hits 300 at 3000rpm and 350 at 4150. You toss the T56 (which I believe is to be standard IIRC) into the mix paired with a SRA with 3.55s....you have a car that is very capable of hitting similar ETs as a 03/04 Cobra. Even if it is a 3650 you are looking at steeper 1st gear ratio to get that thing moving into peak power quickly out of the whole.

I'd say 12.5-12.18 all day long IMO with this car. BUT, that's just my guess.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 AM
9 Second Club

I don't think they'll run with the 03/04 cobra's though. The Cobra's made MUCH more torque down low to get the heavy car moving. I was more comparing it to the older 4v NA variants like the Mach1's and pre 03/04 Cobra's. Either way I hope it run's good to give me some more competition cause as of right now it's still bird food to me
Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree.......it's a tad lighter than a cobra, higher HP and only a tad less tq. TQ hits 300 at 3000rpm and 350 at 4150. You toss the T56 (which I believe is to be standard IIRC) into the mix paired with a SRA with 3.55s....you have a car that is very capable of hitting similar ETs as a 03/04 Cobra. Even if it is a 3650 you are looking at steeper 1st gear ratio to get that thing moving into peak power quickly out of the whole.

I'd say 12.5-12.18 all day long IMO with this car. BUT, that's just my guess.
I cant remember the name of the new transmission but its not the t56. This new transmission's 1:1 ratio is 5th gear unlike the t56's 4th gear, which makes it even funnier that edmunds said the dyno pulls were made in 4th gear which is a 1.34:1 ratio, thus causing the dyno to read lower numbers than it would have read with the trans in 5th and the correct 1:1 ratio.... and IIRC they come factory with 3.55's and have 3.73's as an option.

They are just like any other 4v mod motor. If you have ever driven one you would know that they love the gear and need it to really come alive and I dont see this being any different but saying the camaro will beat it imo is just dumb. No offense but a car with more power, less weight, better rear gearing isnt going to lose.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You toss the T56 (which I believe is to be standard IIRC)
its a getrag mt82; close ratio 6-speed
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
I don't think they'll run with the 03/04 cobra's though. The Cobra's made MUCH more torque down low to get the heavy car moving. I was more comparing it to the older 4v NA variants like the Mach1's and pre 03/04 Cobra's. Either way I hope it run's good to give me some more competition cause as of right now it's still bird food to me
I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't run what a cobra will or at least very close to it. The cobra had more torque down low yes, but that didn't do much but cause launching/traction issues for 90% of the drivers and mid/upper 12s is still common for better than avg/avg drivers at 'good' DA.
Originally Posted by 88blackgt
its a getrag mt82; close ratio 6-speed
Originally Posted by F8L BYT
I cant remember the name of the new transmission but its not the t56. This new transmission's 1:1 ratio is 5th gear unlike the t56's 4th gear, which makes it even funnier that edmunds said the dyno pulls were made in 4th gear which is a 1.34:1 ratio, thus causing the dyno to read lower numbers than it would have read with the trans in 5th and the correct 1:1 ratio.... and IIRC they come factory with 3.55's and have 3.73's as an option.

They are just like any other 4v mod motor. If you have ever driven one you would know that they love the gear and need it to really come alive and I dont see this being any different but saying the camaro will beat it imo is just dumb. No offense but a car with more power, less weight, better rear gearing isnt going to lose.
TY for hte clarification on the tranny. I couldn't remember what they ended up going with.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
It's not all in the tune. There is nothing magical about a tune. Quality parts gets the job done. People just can't throw a hack tune into a setup like that. Unfortunately, there are a million hacks out there.
i agree 100%. the point with the tune was with that boost and power level you better know what you are doing or your gonna break parts real fast.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 AM
9 Second Club

Good debate. I'm curious to see how it runs. I personally like this new motor ford has brought out and hope it does good!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

When exactly are these things gonna hit the street??

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT - GM better power up