Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Can i beat my friends mustang?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010 | 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Can i beat my friends mustang?!

My friends 2004 GT has BBK Shorty Headers, BBK Off Road H, Flowmaster Catback, 3:73 Gears, Hurst Billet Plus Shifter, BBK Cold Air Intake, 75mm BBK Throttle Body/Plenum, and UD pulleys.

My 2002 ws6 has a c-force clutch, Z06 flywheel, long tube headers, 85mm throttle body, smooth bellow slp, with k&n filter, and a computer chip, torch arm bar and pan handling bars, all polyurethane bushings, tranny mount and motor mounts.

We both have Nitto drag radials. We argue all the time but we both just got our cars and arent used to driving them, let alone racing them hard. Be honest with me, lol. We'll findout soon
Old 04-25-2010 | 03:03 PM
Banned

You should be able to beat the mustang. Get some practice time!
Old 04-25-2010 | 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

he has no chance if u can drive
Old 04-25-2010 | 03:14 PM
On The Tree

If you were stock Id still give you the edge from a roll! Just dont miss a gear or eat a taco between shifts and ur good
Old 04-25-2010 | 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

u will bust his ***!
Old 04-25-2010 | 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna feel bad for your buddy. Make sure u film it. Everyone here wants to see this
Old 04-25-2010 | 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Yeah you should have him but practice your launch and take it to the track if possible. Not worth the ticket or the crap you will get from everyone else on here for racing on the street.
Old 04-25-2010 | 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

you'll eat that mustang..
my buddy had an 04 GT, bassani off road x, slp lm2, 315's with nt555r, k&n filter, 3.73's, p&p heads, and cams (dont remember specs), and dyno tuned.

I still beat him with a volant intake and magnaflow catback on 275's.
Old 04-26-2010 | 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

YOu'll beat him. (unless you're horrible at driving).

BTW - he really should get a custom tune (not a box tune). At the very least he should get his A/F checked out. I'd imagine he's running lean on the stock tune with those mods.
Old 04-26-2010 | 08:31 PM
Hak
Teching In

You'll win whether it's from a dig or roll. In either scenario, he may hang for a couple seconds, but then you'll pull on him hard.
Old 04-26-2010 | 08:56 PM
Teching In

my friend had almost identical setup on his mustang and it only trapped 100 on street tires. barely in 13s. after talking with a better tuner he said the shorty headers are worthless. you should trap like 107 or so. easy.
Old 05-06-2010 | 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
YOu'll beat him. (unless you're horrible at driving).

BTW - he really should get a custom tune (not a box tune). At the very least he should get his A/F checked out. I'd imagine he's running lean on the stock tune with those mods.

No need for any tune with his BS mods, those shorty headers weren't worth the trouble they where to put on, shorties on a 2v car add about 5-10rwhp long tubes add 15-20 and the car wakes up on the higher rpms like mad. The stock ECU will compensate for his mods you won't ever see one running very lean. His A/F ratio I bet it probably 12-13 range. That is what most run with those mods, the only time you need a tune on the stangs is if you want to run anything higher then a 125 shot, or you switch out cams. The computer is insanely forgiving. I used to work for Dallas Mustang, anything pre 04 picked up maybe 10-15rwhp(being generous) for anything with less then ported heads,cams and blower. The new 05 and up cars, you have no choice but to tune, if the computer sees anymore torque it starts going to fail safe mode,with a tune and the help eliminating the lag from the drive by wire those cars respond well to a tune, I have seen gains as high as 35-40rwhp from CAI and a tune, catback doesn't add anymore power.
Old 05-06-2010 | 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by prochargedpony
No need for any tune with his BS mods, those shorty headers weren't worth the trouble they where to put on, shorties on a 2v car add about 5-10rwhp long tubes add 15-20 and the car wakes up on the higher rpms like mad. The stock ECU will compensate for his mods you won't ever see one running very lean. His A/F ratio I bet it probably 12-13 range. That is what most run with those mods, the only time you need a tune on the stangs is if you want to run anything higher then a 125 shot, or you switch out cams. The computer is insanely forgiving. I used to work for Dallas Mustang, anything pre 04 picked up maybe 10-15rwhp(being generous) for anything with less then ported heads,cams and blower. The new 05 and up cars, you have no choice but to tune, if the computer sees anymore torque it starts going to fail safe mode,with a tune and the help eliminating the lag from the drive by wire those cars respond well to a tune, I have seen gains as high as 35-40rwhp from CAI and a tune, catback doesn't add anymore power.
We obviously have different opinions. I'm no stranger to stangs either and I'm well aware of the Shorties being worthless. I just didnt' want to get into the intricacies of the stang's setup as it isn't the OP's. neither of us can personally uarantee the stang in question will be fine on the A/F. Until that car is hooked up to a sniffer or a wideband no one will know and not all cars are the same. Do you really believe NE stangs only get 10-15rwhp full bolt on? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. No offense, but you're not really telling me anything I don't already know regarding S197s. This certainly isn't my first rodeo.

I will say most of my experience is in 4V's, but my only point to getting a custom tune was to help wake up the car/mods. A fair amount of gains on stangs is in the tune, combined with the mods.
Old 05-06-2010 | 12:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by mattmc2003
my friend had almost identical setup on his mustang and it only trapped 100 on street tires. barely in 13s. after talking with a better tuner he said the shorty headers are worthless. you should trap like 107 or so. easy.
These cars should trap ~100mph stock. If your friend was nearly full bolt-on (~265rwhp) he should definitely be trapping more than 100mph.
Originally Posted by prochargedpony
A tune definitely helps bolt-on 2Vs. They will go lean without one.
Old 05-06-2010 | 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

And you don't have a "chip". You have a PCM and maybe it is tuned...... Anyway with a launch all he will see is your tailights getting smaller and smaller.......
Old 05-06-2010 | 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
These cars should trap ~100mph stock. If your friend was nearly full bolt-on (~265rwhp) he should definitely be trapping more than 100mph.

A tune definitely helps bolt-on 2Vs. They will go lean without one.
a 2v trapping 100mph bone stock? i doubt that.
Old 05-06-2010 | 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

My 03 with a tune picked up 3rwhp..... I worked at DMP for quite a few years. 2v cars gain no real hp from a tune. My a/f was 12.5-12.1 throughout the band, with offroad x pipe, magnaflow catback, trick flow plenum and cold air, that was untuned. My experience in them was on the dyno, 4v cars do pick up quite a bit more power from a tune.

MPH I have seen alot of 2v cars stock trap 100mph, My friends 02gt trapped 99mph bone stock with 4500 miles at ennis. Again these cars on the dyno and at the track are about as consistant as a hooker on blow.

One of the stupids gains I have seen on mod motor cars is degreeing the stock cams, some of them come retarded as much as 3deg, some advanced a deg or so. Mine was retarded 2 deg, setting it to zero my car picked up 15rwhp untuned from stock cam!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010 | 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
We obviously have different opinions. I'm no stranger to stangs either and I'm well aware of the Shorties being worthless. I just didnt' want to get into the intricacies of the stang's setup as it isn't the OP's. neither of us can personally uarantee the stang in question will be fine on the A/F. Until that car is hooked up to a sniffer or a wideband no one will know and not all cars are the same. Do you really believe NE stangs only get 10-15rwhp full bolt on? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. No offense, but you're not really telling me anything I don't already know regarding S197s. This certainly isn't my first rodeo.

I will say most of my experience is in 4V's, but my only point to getting a custom tune was to help wake up the car/mods. A fair amount of gains on stangs is in the tune, combined with the mods.
The bolts ons he has, shorties, x pipe, cold air. Don't gain but 10-15, long tubes, cams, throttle body, plenum or intake swap you can make close to 300rwhp NA. Again I have yet to see a single N/A bolt on car come close to running lean with a wideband on the dyno and I watched hundreds. I am sure that some could run lean, but seeing it first hand and watching hundreds dynoed I havn't seen it. So yes I guess it could be possible to run lean with bolt ons with a 2v, that be said My other fox 91lx coupe with gt-40 iron heads, f cam, gt-40 intake, S trim with 10psi on a cold day with 36lb injectors with a **** maf on the a/f is at 12.2, this is a stock A9p, my car lays down 447hp and 459tq.

No disrespect to you, this is just my experience with them. I am 31yrs old and have owned and driven mustangs since i was 16. I know alot but damn sure don't know everything.
Old 05-06-2010 | 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the ws6 will win easily even if the stang has every bolt-on. cam will even it up only asgainst a totally stock ls-1.

a 2001-2004 will trap 100 every time in a decent da. it isnt a new thing. it still loses like a turd.
Old 05-06-2010 | 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

my advice is to take it to the track and race yourself. stop worrying about your buddy's stang. who cares if you can/can't beat it?

Quick Reply: Can i beat my friends mustang?!