Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

tbss cam and springs. buy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam

I went with this company for my cam; http://www.vincihiperformance.com/ Lots of experience in the field and great customer support
Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
No one really has done a successful cam swap and laid down great power and 1/4 mile times. Mongoose makes pretty good power, but he's spent a ton of cash and I don't think he's ran the 1/4 mile yet.
Oh that's right, you guys haven't heard how well NMP's car runs with his cam advanced...........
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do tell.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I don't see any reason in putting an off the shelf cam of any sort in these cars. The money you will be spending will be on supporting mods, parts, and labor rather than the camshaft itself (in the scheme of things). There's really no reason not to wait another month and save up the money you need to have a reputable shop, or comp, spec out a custom grind for you.
I agree, no off the shelf cam is going to work very well with the LS4. The LS6 cam (BTW, there was 2 different ones). works good with the LS1 but its not quite right for the 5.3. I've probably beat this topic into the ground so ill let you guys figure it out.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do tell.
If he wanted to tell I'm sure he would have already. He probably will post results when he has hard data to give, thats just how he is, unless you ask for yourself.

Not to be a dick but I've been trying to tell people how to make power with these LS4's for a long time, but nobody wants to listen.

Ok so I'll tell you this, I'm expecting the car to trap at least 108 mph, probably higher.

Last edited by JDMC5; 01-27-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JDMC5
If he wanted to tell I'm sure he would have already. He probably will post results when he has hard data to give, thats just how he is, unless you ask for yourself.

Not to be a dick but I've been trying to tell people how to make power with these LS4's for a long time, but nobody wants to listen.

Ok so I'll tell you this, I'm expecting the car to trap at least 108 mph, probably higher.
If he had an intake swap it'd be crazy.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

There were a few LS4 cars that were trapping 106-107MPH with Rockers, CAI/WAI, downpipe and tuning. 1BaddSS and supercatx. Raising the shiftpoints made a big diff as I recall.
1BADDSS was the first one too try the LS6 cam. It ended up being real noisy (with 1.8's) and made no diff in the 1/4. I blame this on the stock intake manifold and gearing. The Shift points would need to be raised too, and would hurt 1/4 mile times due to the fact his car was no longer toping the current gear after passing through the finishing beam.
Besides, the 119 LSA that the LS6 cam has is better suited for Manual trans cars with low rear gears. We need to keep it tight. Somewhere around 112-114. This narrows the powerband.
Intake manifold and the headers. Cam swap should be last. My only problem with the stocker is that it's a DOD grind. Other then that I think it has the potenial to hit 110 though the traps with std. bolt ons. Rockers are a must.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 707chance
I went with this company for my cam; http://www.vincihiperformance.com/ Lots of experience in the field and great customer support
Great company. Roger, is the man when It comes to valvetrain and camshafts. It was truely an honor to speak with him. In fact, he really needs to write a book!
We spoke about a year ago and he recommended the BOSS cam. I ended up buying the TR 220/220 and then sold it and put the stocker back in
Waneted to go turbo instead. Now I'm broke and unemployed after this month
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Chance707 is using the LS1 intake.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

I think that if anybody in here wanted to get a cam in their car, a custom one from EPS would be the way to go. The challenge is trying to get one that will match the DOD characteristics. Otherwise, you will have to change the lifters out from DOD to non-DOD lifters. I am sure that they can make one for you and you can experience Great numbers under the power band of our engines. Especially since we have LS6 heads in our cars. If I were to consider this, I would go with a ls6 intake, headers, and a custom EPS cam. I would expect pretty respectable numbers from this setup with a good tune. Maybe around 315-330 fwhp range. From what I have read on this forum about the EPS cams, is that they have GREAT street manners and make a ton of power in LS1 and LS6 cars. The street manners are very comparable to a stock cam, so much that you can barely tell the car has a cam in it. I pitty the fool who tries to line up against you thinking that your car is stock.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have been vocal on what to do with these cars for sure. But no one has really solid numbers yet on a cammed LS4 other than Mongoose so far. I'm sure NMP's car will put up some good numbers when he gets dyno'd without a doubt.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default cam

I'm hoping that my tax refund will get me to the dyno. Still waiting for the weather to clear up to do a video.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

your joking right?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

your joking right?
Lol I think he is.

I thought it was pretty clear that Nate did his [LS6] intake swap before the camshaft.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he's mocking me, back before the LS1/ LS6 intake swap was widely accepted, I use to swear the LS4 intake was the bottle neck, I'm sure O-BAMA remembers that.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he's mocking me, back before the LS1/ LS6 intake swap was widely accepted, I use to swear the LS4 intake was the bottle neck, I'm sure O-BAMA remembers that.
Haha, you did beat the LS4 intake topic to death. Took a while for it to sink in, but it is pure garbage.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

I've been under the impression that NMP was running the stock LS4 intake. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, I can't remember every modification done to every car on here. I'm not sure how I was mocking you, I was simply stating that the motor would flow better with an intake swap. But hey, If his cam and intake swap only traps 2 mph higher than I did on a bad tune then maybe we should all reconsider putting a cam in these cars.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Chance707 is using the LS1 intake.
I wasn't talking about Ken. I quoted JDM's post talking about NMP's car. Should have been more clear, I suppose.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been under the impression that NMP was running the stock LS4 intake. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, I can't remember every modification done to every car on here. I'm not sure how I was mocking you, I was simply stating that the motor would flow better with an intake swap. But hey, If his cam and intake swap only traps 2 mph higher than I did on a bad tune then maybe we should all reconsider putting a cam in these cars.

He's predicting 108+ traps. No track times that we know of yet.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

He's predicting 108+ traps. No track times that we know of yet.
The trap times aren't really important here. I'm much more concerned with why I was thrown under the truck for a mistaken intake manifold.

Quick Reply: tbss cam and springs. buy??