Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

tbss cam and springs. buy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
The trap times aren't really important here. I'm much more concerned with why I was thrown under the truck for a mistaken intake manifold.
Maybe he thought you were being sarcastic about it. Possibly taken out of context.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

But hey, If his cam and intake swap only traps 2 mph higher than I did on a bad tune then maybe we should all reconsider putting a cam in these cars.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good point. I’m hoping that this spring I can add some real data to this issue. Until then I would like to share some very nonscientific information. Last summer I was in a buddies Steeda and he ran a section of road from a standing stop to a street sign somewhat down the road. When he reached that street sign I looked over and mentally recorded his speed. The next day I did the same run and compared my results to his. Well today I was over in that area and reenacted last summer’s run with my new mods and I was somewhat disappointed with the small difference between the two runs. I think traction is the now the limiting factor in my build or perhaps driver skill.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 707chance
But hey, If his cam and intake swap only traps 2 mph higher than I did on a bad tune then maybe we should all reconsider putting a cam in these cars.
That’s a good point. I’m hoping that this spring I can add some real data to this issue. Until then I would like to share some very nonscientific information. Last summer I was in a buddies Steeda and he ran a section of road from a standing stop to a street sign somewhat down the road. When he reached that street sign I looked over and mentally recorded his speed. The next day I did the same run and compared my results to his. Well today I was over in that area and reenacted last summer’s run with my new mods and I was somewhat disappointed with the small difference between the two runs. I think traction is the now the limiting factor in my build or perhaps driver skill.[/QUOTE]

Ken, please note that my post wasn't directed toward you. I was talking to jdm about Nmp's car.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The trap times aren't really important here. I'm much more concerned with why I was thrown under the truck for a mistaken intake manifold.
thrown under the bus?? You gotta be kidding me, I thought your were being sarcastic. Besides the fact that Nate was the first person on here to complete the LS6 intake swap and publish his results on here, I thought you being a Mod would know this.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

But hey, If his cam and intake swap only traps 2 mph higher than I did on a bad tune then maybe we should all reconsider putting a cam in these cars.
well maybe if you would post your mods so we had something to compare it to then we could have a pissing contest. Don't worry I'm sure your 106 trap speed will be more than smashed.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JDMC5
well maybe if you would post your mods so we had something to compare it to then we could have a pissing contest. Don't worry I'm sure your 106 trap speed will be more than smashed.
There's no need to get worked up, I understand that you just misunderstood. I'll spend the rest of my day memorizing everyone's modifications so that I don't upset you again. Please forgive me.

EVERY mod I've ever done has been posted about. But I can understand where you could have missed something, so don't worry about it. I've even posted before and after times for the intake swap...

Let me know when you blow away a 106 trap speed...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

That’s a good point. I’m hoping that this spring I can add some real data to this issue. Until then I would like to share some very nonscientific information. Last summer I was in a buddies Steeda and he ran a section of road from a standing stop to a street sign somewhat down the road. When he reached that street sign I looked over and mentally recorded his speed. The next day I did the same run and compared my results to his. Well today I was over in that area and reenacted last summer’s run with my new mods and I was somewhat disappointed with the small difference between the two runs. I think traction is the now the limiting factor in my build or perhaps driver skill.
Ken, please note that my post wasn't directed toward you. I was talking to jdm about Nmp's car.[/QUOTE]

No offense taken.
A cam swap can be very time consuming and costly, esp. when going the nonDOD route. Even though we have had a few cam swap threads and a few dyno numbers thrown around we still can't say what cam #1 or cam #2 with these XYZ mods. can do for our LS4 engines. I think this ongoing discussion is really good because it is touching on two points; when does modifying the LS4 engine cross the line of diminishing returns and when does the cost of a cam swap make sense. I can tell you this if I don’t get into the 12s NA this spring I will be very disappointed.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ With a good tune and sticky tires it really shouldn't be any issue.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
^^^ With a good tune and sticky tires it really shouldn't be any issue.
God I hope so, right now I have neither
Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 707chance
when does modifying the LS4 engine cross the line of diminishing returns and when does the cost of a cam swap make sense.
intake swap + headers = cam swap worth it
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's no need to get worked up, I understand that you just misunderstood. I'll spend the rest of my day memorizing everyone's modifications so that I don't upset you again. Please forgive me.

EVERY mod I've ever done has been posted about. But I can understand where you could have missed something, so don't worry about it. I've even posted before and after times for the intake swap...

Let me know when you blow away a 106 trap speed...
still don't know why the agression is necessary but oh well, not even my car. We'll be sure to keep you posted.

Quick Reply: tbss cam and springs. buy??