Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

New BOSS in town

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the price I'd rather have an LS3 Vette. Just saying...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats GM need to do? Gm just needs to MASS PRODUCE the ls7 alongside the ls3 and w/o titanium rods to keep the cost down, then use the vvt timing of the l92. You dont get the benefit of independent cam phasing but vvt still helps control the powerband. A budget LS7 with a cam and bolt ons would be about the best bang for the buck car around.. potential for 600 rwhp... But of course you cant do that to the camaro and have the vette with a 6.2.. This is what hurts with GM for anything less then a vette. How can an engine amazing as the ls7 is be limited to one car when it will bolt right in.. sad. Too many go fast options. cant give a base corvette a LS7 because then what happens to the Z06 ZR1... blah blah blah. With ford they can make a kick *** mustang without stepping on any toes.. The camaro always has to be slower then the vette and have less horsepower. As a GM fan you just have to deal with it and mod up.. It seems they are surely willing to have the camaro make more power with a blower but at a price probably higher then a base vette so thats ok!. They need the standard engine to have more nuts to move that anchor if they want to dominate again, atleast until it drops in size/weight and truck wheel size. LS3 is a great engine but its seriously handicapped by weight.

Anyways the boss ran good and until the zl1 comes out gonna be the quicker car. Weather or not this is the norm remains to be seen over time as that is kind of a high trap speed for the rated hp and weight. I expect 114-115 to be the norm stock. Also comparing it to the 02 z06 isnt anything to brag about either. Your talking 10 years and millions of dollars of R&D. Compare it to the 2012 camaro or the 2012 z06. Not something 10 years old. Thats like saying i can build a 82 camaro/mustang to run 9's for 15 grand total and smoke a 2012 boss or Z06.. Who cares. I know it probably feels good to have a mustang that can compete with an older vette but until CAFE kills these cars like the 70's the newer cars are always going to be faster each year then older cars. And we reap the benefits of it.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
For the price I'd rather have an LS3 Vette. Just saying...
For an everyday driver, me too. For a track car that's all ready to go off the showroom floor, the Boss all the way.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Killemall
The stang is real guys. Motor trend ran a 12.3 at 115 mph in one. So yea a few actual owners will touch 11.9's at 116-118 mph in those cars stock within 6 months.

Basically it is just as fast as a LS3 vette.

Wake the F up chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do we have to spend

50-65K on a corvette to trap 117 mph
65K on a CTSV to trap 117 mph
75K on a Z06 to trap 125 mph
110K on a ZR1 to trap 130 mph

40k camaroSS to trap 111 mph

What happenned to the good old days like back in 1998 when 27K got you a camaro with an underrated 350 crank HP that could run door to door with 45K corvettes and beat 30K cobras,50K porshes ect.

Now 40K gets you a slow car from Chevy

For what...30 somthing K you can get a 12.7 at 113 mph mustang or for 40 somthingK get a 12.3 at 117 mph BOSS.

I love this board but chevy is really pissing me off with these 2010 13.0 second camaros! Go Big or just roll over and die and let Ford Hump away.

Found On the side of the Road Dead my a$$. Alive and beating the hell out of us
You may be the one that need to wake up man, none of those cars are at all purpose built strait line cars, the Corvette is a sports car, that means its built to road race, and compete in handling events, not some lame strait line race. Your not paying that money to go fast strait, your paying for the lightweight chassis, double wishbone suspension, 50/50 weight balance and a daily drivable car. If you want some strait line car just buy a cheap junker and do an LSx swap.
This is not to say the Boss isn't and excellent track car, but put an R compound tire on a C6 and see what happens on a real track (one with turns).
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
For an everyday driver, me too. For a track car that's all ready to go off the showroom floor, the Boss all the way.
Nah, I feel anybody that would take a Mustang over a Corvette is either a redneck, a fan boy, or a 17 year old girl.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You may be the one that need to wake up man, none of those cars are at all purpose built strait line cars, the Corvette is a sports car, that means its built to road race, and compete in handling events, not some lame strait line race. Your not paying that money to go fast strait, your paying for the lightweight chassis, double wishbone suspension, 50/50 weight balance and a daily drivable car. If you want some strait line car just buy a cheap junker and do an LSx swap.
This is not to say the Boss isn't and excellent track car, but put an R compound tire on a C6 and see what happens on a real track (one with turns).
It's going to take a little more than that. If you think the Boss can't handle, take another look: http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html I'm shocked, myself.

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
Nah, I feel anybody that would take a Mustang over a Corvette is either a redneck, a fan boy, or a 17 year old girl.
Or someone who wants the Boss LS edition and doesn't want to bother with replacing the seats and brakes, brake lines, etc. (GS/Carbon edition excepted regarding the brakes) and save $10k? on top of that.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 04-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
***Repost Police***

It's going to take a little more than that. If you think the Boss can't handle, take another look: http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html I'm shocked, myself.

Or someone who wants the Boss LS edition and doesn't want to bother with replacing the seats and brakes, brake lines, etc. (GS/Carbon edition excepted regarding the brakes) and save $10k? on top of that.
You're obviously a 17 year old redneck fanboy chick.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Reread my post, I said I know the Boss is a capable track car, but its running R compound tires (race tires if you don't know, and not to mention is was tuned for that track) all the other cars listed are on regular street tires, and the Covette of course is on runflats... R compound tires will make a night and day difference, and I could easily see it knocking 10+ seconds off a lap time around that track.

Replacing seats and brakes for what? Explain.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of my co-workers bought this. I originally tooks these pics to poke fun at the fake caliper covers, and cheesey vinyl, etc... but, damn. I didn't realize that these things were that fast.
Attached Thumbnails New BOSS in town-boss.jpg   New BOSS in town-boss1.jpg   New BOSS in town-boss2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You're obviously a 17 year old redneck fanboy chick.
You're laughable.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Reread my post, I said I know the Boss is a capable track car, but its running R compound tires (race tires if you don't know, and not to mention is was tuned for that track) all the other cars listed are on regular street tires, and the Covette of course is on runflats... R compound tires will make a night and day difference, and I could easily see it knocking 10+ seconds off a lap time around that track.

Replacing seats and brakes for what? Explain.
No, R-compounds will give maybe 2 seconds, maybe. Look what the Boss ran vs. the LS edition. The Carbon edition C6 has upgraded brakes, shocks AND tires to go 3 seconds faster.

Seats suck in Corvettes, for years, bad for track days. And it's a safe bet to track a standard C6 probably means replacing the pads at a minimum. Not sure about the brake lines. I could be wrong about the brakes.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by GSus
One of my co-workers bought this. I originally tooks these pics to poke fun at the fake caliper covers, and cheesey vinyl, etc... but, damn. I didn't realize that these things were that fast.
You should still slap him
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

saw my first boss yesterday at the dealer, really nice. youtube videos showing 116+ on stock rubber, not to shabby
Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got to see the base 5.0 run against the BMW M3 at willow springs. M3 ran a 127.8 and the 5.0 ran a 125.7 or something, it was actually less than a 10th of a second, that's impressive with a live rear axle!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, R-compounds will give maybe 2 seconds, maybe. Look what the Boss ran vs. the LS edition.
My bad, brain fart... I was thinking full on race slicks... Yeah that makes sense.
Seats suck in Corvettes, for years, bad for track days. And it's a safe bet to track a standard C6 probably means replacing the pads at a minimum. Not sure about the brake lines. I could be wrong about the brakes.
I've never heard of any issues with the brakes on vettes (hell many Fbody guys upgrade to a C5 front setup for RR).
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Does the Boss get a better transmission?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Does the Boss get a better transmission?
+1 haha. Your posts totally turned me off the 5.0, even more so than the circled logo..
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Hmm that's a very good question. Can someone clarify?
I am going to go out on a whim and say... "Because they more than likely tuned it for 110 Octane, and that it's something most people will overlook."
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it's funny, according to the Ford spokesperson the following could qualify as abuse: burnouts, increased tire wear, rubber in fenders, CAI and other mods, wider tires, any track use whatsoever, etc

Yet they are sticking out a car with R compounds, bigger cams, better intake, and a "track only" race tune? Does it come with a pre-voided warranty card too?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The only weight reduction I would think of, is the lighter weight of the drag wheels compared to the stock ones. The 12.26 stock time sounds dead on for what a 2011 GT should run with ~30-40 more hp.
Yeah more horse. Does this boss not have the rear seat like the laguna seca? And does it also have the recaro seating package? Lots of factors but yeah it's fast. Haha
Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

It did very good for tires being the only mod....don't hate.

I still wouldn't buy a Mustang

Quick Reply: New BOSS in town