Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

impression of 5.0 from camaro owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011 | 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FOG52
In production cars the 5.0 produces more HP than the LS3 does despite the 26% size advantage of the LS3.

You are wanting to use Mullet Head math instead. We are discussing the quality of two N/A motors. Hp/L is a pretty standard way to compare performance motors of different displacement. In rounded numbers the LS3 makes 68 Hp/L and the 5.0 makes 88Hp/L. So its obvious which engine design is more efficient at producing power for its displacement.
Notice how I put the little blurb about the crate hotcammed LS3 in parentheses and said "if you want to count it"? That was because I knew you wouldn't but I figured it was worth mentioning just so you knew it was out there. I didn't think you would get so offended by a mere mention of it.

In production cars, the 5.0 gets stomped in the torque department. Different companies make power different ways. HP/L is something a Honda owner would say when he wants to prove why his 1.whatever is better than your V8. Leave the stupid excuses out please, we've all heard the "but you have that much more displacement...and you have more valves and have to spin higher." IDGAF about those garbage arguments. Just line 'em up. Right now Mustang > Camaro, I am not afraid nor ashamed to admit it.

Yes the 4.6 is a much stronger block and will hold power levels that will make the LS3 grenade.
Did I disagree with you the first time?

Well very good sources place it in the 600-620 range so I confident "supposed to" will turn into "is" soon.
...and the new Camaro is "supposed" to be on the Alpha platform and shave a lot of weight. I'll believe both when I see them. I could care less what company is "supposed" to be coming out with what. When there is official word, I will believe.

Yes we all know you are gay.
I guess I have been mistaking you for someone with a little more moxie than that, delving into the childish retorts so quick? When did you become one of "those" guys?

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Southern CA isn't all beach and sunshine like you see on TV. Search "Big Bear, CA" and you'll see what I mean. In So. Cal alone you have everything from warm beaches and sunshine in L.A. to freezing mountains of Big Bear, to the hot & dry Mojave Desert. The climate in CA is probably more versatile than anywhere else in the country.

As for emissions its just like any other smog stringent state. You just have to know someone. There are FAST!! cars all over the place out here so that should tell you something.

As for overpriced, the only thing I can think of that's expensive out here is the property. And even then I wouldn't call it overpriced, but more like you get what you pay for! I mean look at all the beautiful tourists attractions just in this one state: Los Angeles, Orange County, Big Bear, Mojave Desert, Baja, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Sonoran Desert, Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay, Yosemite National Park, San Fransisco Bay Area, Sacramento Valley, South Lake Tahoe, Sierra Mountains. Las Vegas, Nevada just a 4-5 hour drive from Los Angeles. I can go on and on about why a car guy might want to live in this state.
I've heard, albeit second hand, that Cali cops will pull you over for anything that is mildly loud. I don't know, just scares me. I also have little motivation for tourist crap. Vegas on the other hand.........

And I thought you didn't want to talk about real estate.
I brought it back up, he didn't. Read it again.
Old 05-06-2011 | 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Basically, FOG is getting uncharacteristically bent out of shape over a common argument, and it boils his blood so bad that he resorts to name calling when someone posts something "against" him. I realize there are a lot of people that spew bullshit that is hard to swallow around here, but I could hard characterize what I wrote as any of that. Wonder what his deal is?

Great breakdown Tsi.
Old 05-06-2011 | 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Car has went 10s now. Just cant find the video". [QUOTE]

I call Bull ****. Until I see the vid. Must be great air down in Tx. You wouldn't get out of high 11's here in KC.
Old 05-06-2011 | 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a sweet looking GTO man
Old 05-06-2011 | 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
Okay, so one engine makes more power per cube than the other. Who gives a flying ****? (besides ricers);
When talking about STOCK N/A production engines a lot of people care. You think the C6Z06 would be very popular if it only made 200hp?

That has nothing to do with practical efficiency. All that horsepower boils down to is airflow. If one engine flows more, it will generally make more power.
That is quite possibly one one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. In a N/A engine, displacement and RPM determines the maximum amount of air flow theoretically possible for an engine. The more cubic inches the more possible airflow the high the RPM the more airflow. Head design and flow determines what percentage of the theoretically possible air flow that the engine actually does flow.

A 5.0 engine making 88 hp /L is more efficient at utilizing its available air than a 6.3 making 68 hp/L. That means better head flow and better engine design.

Efficiency, if you want to use that as an important factor with performance cars, should be measured by fuel economy vs power. Not displacement vs power.
I was talking about the efficient use of the air available to the engine by virtue of its displacement and rpm.

The 5.0 more efficiently moves and uses available air from its displacement than the 6.3 does. The 5.0 makes 30% more power per cubic inch than the LS3 does. And as you aptly pointed out air flow is what makes that power difference possible.

If the larger displacement LSx engines used a proportional amount of fuel more than the 5.0, then you might be saying something useful. The thing is, we know that LSx engines don't gobble down fuel, at least not much (if any) more than a 5.0.
That relies in a large part to the aero, weight, gearing and engine and we weren't discussing that just how well or efficiently the engine converts the air available to it into power.

If a 450rwhp 7.0L Z06 can achieve 25-26mpg, how is that not efficient?

A 400rwhp 6.2L C6 can achieve 29mpg...not sure where that inefficiency that you're talking about from all that displacement is...

What does the super efficient 5.0 Mustang get for MPG?

If you can't put efficiency into practical terms, what's the point?

Again you are off topic for the post.

We aren't talking about fuel efficiency we are discussing how efficiently the engine convert the liters of air it can flow at a given rpm to power. Theoretically a 6.3 Liter engine can flow 42.840 liters of air at 6800 rpm. A 5.0 can flow 34,000 liters at the same rpm and 39,000 at 7800 rpm. Now you tell me which is more efficient at converting the available air into power?

This should mean something coming from a guy with a Japanese 2.0L engine...

I love all types of performance engines, from a big block 427 in a Sting Ray to a 9000rpm B16 in a Civic hatch. All that matters to me is the smile a car puts on your face.
Off topic

Can we cool it with that?
Talk to your friend
Old 05-06-2011 | 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WSsick
Basically, FOG is getting uncharacteristically bent out of shape over a common argument, and it boils his blood so bad that he resorts to name calling when someone posts something "against" him. I realize there are a lot of people that spew bullshit that is hard to swallow around here, but I could hard characterize what I wrote as any of that. Wonder what his deal is?

Great breakdown Tsi.
Not in the least I just enjoy in presenting the facts to LS3 is god fanbois. And YOU were the fist to call someone gay.

4-"Supposed." Let's wait until we hear about official numbers.

5-

Last edited by FOG52; 05-06-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2011 | 01:20 PM
Launching!

Nobody said the 5.0 wasn't an effiecent motor. Both engine designs have there pros and cons. The DOHC 4v makes more power with less displacement for obvious reasons. The OHV motor hits the wall of limitation at a time later than that of the DOHC. I like big cubes and alot of N/A torque but hey thats just me. A discussion is better than an argument guys.
Old 05-06-2011 | 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Not in the least I just enjoy in presenting the facts to LS3 is god fanbois.
Seriously, what crawled up your *** recently? You think I'm an LS fanboy? It is my prefer ed engine of choice, but that wouldn't stop me from buying something else with a different powerplant (that would make someone a fanboy). You must be eyeball deep in **** if you think I'm a fanboy. Goddamn that is laughable.

And YOU were the fist to call someone gay.
WRONG. Did you say you were gay? Nope, just that what you said was. I mean, you even went back and quoted me and you still got it wrong.
Old 05-06-2011 | 01:40 PM
Launching!

I've heard, albeit second hand, that Cali cops will pull you over for anything that is mildly loud. I don't know, just scares me. I also have little motivation for tourist crap. Vegas on the other hand.........
You don't like visiting nice places Oookkkk! to each his own.

I have family from KC, MO and Witchita, KS. I remember visiting as a kid and thinking 'how in the heck do these people live in this place, there is like nothing at all out here.' I was soooo happy to get back to Cali.
Old 05-06-2011 | 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Nobody said the 5.0 wasn't an effiecent motor. Both engine designs have there pros and cons. The DOHC 4v makes more power with less displacement for obvious reasons. The OHV motor hits the wall of limitation at a time later than that of the DOHC. I like big cubes and alot of N/A torque but hey thats just me. A discussion is better than an argument guys.
The OHC engines can have more efficient head designs because they can have straighter runners and more valves and they can use variable cam technology. They have the potential of higher red lines because of less reciprocating mass.

Most car manufacturers have made the switch. GM and Dodge are holding out. I suspect that economics has something to do with it. It costs a lot to change engine designs and we all know Dodge and GM aren't that healthy. The big cube vs small cube argument has been going on for a long time and will continue a long time.
Old 05-06-2011 | 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Seriously, what crawled up your *** recently? You think I'm an LS fanboy? It is my prefer ed engine of choice, but that wouldn't stop me from buying something else with a different powerplant (that would make someone a fanboy). You must be eyeball deep in **** if you think I'm a fanboy. Goddamn that is laughable.
I bet I have owned more LS engines than you have I'm just more realistic about the pros and cons of their design.

And did I include your name ... no I didn't so if the shoe fits wear it if it doesn't don't get your blood boiling. .

WRONG. Did you say you were gay? Nope, just that what you said was. I mean, you even went back and quoted me and you still got it wrong.
OK that is just Gay to split hairs like that.

Last edited by FOG52; 05-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:08 PM
Launching!

The OHC engines can have more efficient head designs because they can have straighter runners and more valves and they can use variable cam technology. They have the potential of higher red lines because of less reciprocating mass.

Most car manufacturers have made the switch. GM and Dodge are holding out. I suspect that economics has something to do with it. It costs a lot to change engine designs and we all know Dodge and GM aren't that healthy. The big cube vs small cube argument has been going on for a long time and will continue a long time.
Not being rude but I know how an OHC motor works and its pros and the cons. I was just hoping to get away with typing a short general paragraph and not a detailed essay on the function/pros/cons/etc... between the two engine designs. They are both good motors, both can be built to maje good power. It's a persons choice on how he wants to get it.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=06blackGTO;14879943]"Car has went 10s now. Just cant find the video".

I call Bull ****. Until I see the vid. Must be great air down in Tx. You wouldn't get out of high 11's here in KC.
Can call bullshit if want i dont care. I have seen it. Bring that GTo and im sure they will race you for some money. They have some turbo cars that run even faster. They build cars for one reason to embarrass V8s and go fast. They have a couple AWD cars making over 600 and 700whp. That have destroyed every type muscle car there is and at drag strip.

And yes there is faster cars then theirs here also. And other places. Just telling you what the shop has done.

As far as good air depends when come. Winter times you can see - DA's and summer DA's can be over 3000 with the 115* weather.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Not being rude but I know how an OHC motor works and its pros and the cons. I was just hoping to get away with typing a short general paragraph and not a detailed essay on the function/pros/cons/etc... between the two engine designs. They are both good motors, both can be built to maje good power. It's a persons choice on how he wants to get it.
True and I never said the LS3 was a bad engine. Its just that the 5.0 is a better design and the LS3 are getting long in the tooth using out dated technology and covering it up with big cubes. If the 5.0 was the same size as the LS3 and made its 88 hp/L as it does as a 5.0 it would be making 554 hp.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:25 PM
Teching In

Your response is so mind-bogglingly facepalming, I don't even know where to start.

When talking about STOCK N/A production engines a lot of people care. You think the C6Z06 would be very popular if it only made 200hp?
What are you talking about? I said "no one, besides ricers, gives a **** about which engine makes more power per cube." That, by itself, makes no practical difference AT ALL.

People give a **** about power and fuel economy.

That is quite possibly one one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. In a N/A engine, displacement and RPM determines the maximum amount of air flow theoretically possible for an engine. The more cubic inches the more possible airflow the high the RPM the more airflow. Head design and flow determines what percentage of the theoretically possible air flow that the engine actually does flow.
So, according to you, my comment "All that horsepower boils down to is airflow. If one engine flows more, it will generally make more power.", was one of the dumbest things you have ever heard, and your attempt to prove me wrong was basically repeating exactly what I just said.

Do you know what 'practical' means? It means useful, as in "it's useful that my 6.2L pushrod engine gets 29mpg while also giving me 430hp when I need it."

How is it useful at all to talk about efficiency in terms of HP/L? That literally has no benefit in the real world...besides ricer excuses.

A 5.0 engine making 88 hp /L is more efficient at utilizing its available air than a 6.3 making 68 hp/L. That means better head flow and better engine design.
Define "better" in practical terms. An LS3 is 6.2L, btw.

Again you are off topic for the post.

We aren't talking about fuel efficiency we are discussing how efficiently the engine convert the liters of air it can flow at a given rpm to power. Theoretically a 6.3 Liter engine can flow 42.840 liters of air at 6800 rpm. A 5.0 can flow 34,000 liters at the same rpm and 39,000 at 7800 rpm. Now you tell me which is more efficient at converting the available air into power?
I had a feeling something was off with your comments....but I couldn't put my finger on it until this.^

Do you not know how engines even work?

Two engines with the same displacement, but with different head designs and RPM limits will NOT have the same amount of air in the cylinders.

Converting airflow to power is your measure of efficiency? The only efficiency in that respect comes from the air/fuel ratio and spark.

Displacement is only a part of how much airflow there is. If an engine's head isn't efficient enough at high RPMs, it doesn't matter

Let's posit a scenario:
There are two engines, one is a Chevy 350 making 300ft/lbs of torque at 2000rpm and 200hp at 4500rpm. The other is a Honda K20 making 120lb/ft of torque at 2000rpm and 220hp at 8000rpm.

At lower RPM, the larger displacement engine will make more torque because it has enough time to fill the larger cylinder up with air. If its heads don't flow the air quickly enough at higher RPMs, it won't have time to fill the cylinder completely with air, and therefore won't be able to produce as much torque at that RPM that it could at lower RPM. If it doesn't have much torque at high RPM, it won't have much power.

The Honda engine, however, has an efficient enough head that it can pack the cylinder with enough air at high RPM to produce decent enough torque at high RPM and have a good horsepower rating (torque x RPM).

Clearly, the amount of air in a cylinder is NOT constant with displacement. The amount of air in a cylinder is entirely dependent on how well the head flows, especially at higher RPM.

By your logic, two turbocharged engines with the same displacement and same boost pressure will always have the same amount of air in the cylinders.

In reality, the engine with a more efficient turbo will, at the same boost pressure, make more power because there is more air being flowed into the cylinder than the engine with a less efficient turbo.

All this ^ doesn't matter as much as my point on practical vs ricer efficiency.

Last edited by 1992TsiAWD; 05-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:31 PM
Launching!

True and I never said the LS3 was a bad engine. Its just that the 5.0 is a better design and the LS3 are getting long in the tooth using out dated technology and covering it up with big cubes. If the 5.0 was the same size as the LS3 and made its 88 hp/L as it does as a 5.0 it would be making 554 hp.
You have it wrong. The 5.0 is better than the old 5.4, not the LS3 though.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I think we have covered all the areas now guys. Too many people trying to prove they know more than someone else here.

FWIW, we should be praising the Mustang's light weight. The LS3 still makes more power, who gives a **** about this hp/L ****, power is power. Drop an LS3 in the 2011 body and mod it..
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Notice how I put the little blurb about the crate hotcammed LS3 in parentheses and said "if you want to count it"? That was because I knew you wouldn't but I figured it was worth mentioning just so you knew it was out there. I didn't think you would get so offended by a mere mention of it.
Wasn't offended just pointing out it isn't relevant.

In production cars, the 5.0 gets stomped in the torque department. Different companies make power different ways. HP/L is something a Honda owner would say when he wants to prove why his 1.whatever is better than your V8. Leave the stupid excuses out please, we've all heard the "but you have that much more displacement...and you have more valves and have to spin higher." IDGAF about those garbage arguments. Just line 'em up. Right now Mustang > Camaro, I am not afraid nor ashamed to admit it.
So why do people whine about FI engines?

Did I disagree with you the first time?

...and the new Camaro is "supposed" to be on the Alpha platform and shave a lot of weight. I'll believe both when I see them. I could care less what company is "supposed" to be coming out with what. When there is official word, I will believe.

I guess I have been mistaking you for someone with a little more moxie than that, delving into the childish retorts so quick? When did you become one of "those" guys?

I became one of "those guys" after you bragged about real estate then whine can we stop talking about real estate.

I brought it back up, he didn't. Read it again.
So you just had to answer him.
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I think we have covered all the areas now guys. Too many people trying to prove they know more than someone else here.

FWIW, we should be praising the Mustang's light weight. The LS3 still makes more power, who gives a **** about this hp/L ****, power is power. Drop an LS3 in the 2011 body and mod it..
The Boss makes 440 HP stock
Old 05-06-2011 | 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
You have it wrong. The 5.0 is better than the old 5.4, not the LS3 though.
Wrong its better than the 5.4 AND the LS3

Quick Reply: impression of 5.0 from camaro owner