Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

To Beat an 03-04 Cobra...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I would have told you to buy. A converter, longtubes, and exhaust. The last two items could have been bought used to save you money. Then I would have told you to get the throttle body ported and get a tune, to late now.

Yes, you should consider a different cam. I would recommend a custom spec'd cam on cam motion lobes. I would mill the heads to raise the compression. Stall converter, somewhere in the 3600 range if it's a daily driver. A trans cooler to compliment the stall and help the trans survive. As already stated, longtubes and exhaust, all this and your car will be a completely different car. If you don't want to go the custom spec'd cam route then something like the 228r would be a good choice. Trunion upgrade would be a nice addition if the funds allowed.

Last edited by sheikss; 05-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lt105
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIsy...0F6650&index=1
Decent video! Good luck with your adventure man!

Vinny
My video is being whored out already. But yeah, there is a stock Cobra. Took headers, exhaust, intake, ls6 manifold, gears and tune to beat a stock Cobra.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Yes!!! You need to pick another cam. And you need new springs push rods timing chain and oil pump. Who is doing the install?

Answer these...
What rwhp are you shooting for?
What et are you shooting for?
Do you care how much the cam lopes at Idle?
Is it a DD? Weekend toy? How much track time and street time does it see?
What is your budget for your heads?
Anything else you expect the cam to do for you let me know.

You also need to let me know when the absolute soonest you can get a converter is. You can't go with a cam worth a damn without a converter. You will need a converter asap. I'm not going to tell you to get a 228r with a stock converter.... but chances are you would love that cam, from what I have seen you posting.. anything smaller and it isn't a waste of time but thy are very small cams.

Are the short headers installed already?
A Friend of mine is doing all the work... He knows what he is doing, Its me who picked the parts with tech guys at summit.

What rwhp are you shooting for? 380 TO 400 RANGE

What et are you shooting for? LOW 12'S high 11's would be nice
Do you care how much the cam lopes at Idle? NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS, BUT IF IT SOUNDS MEAN, EVEN BETTER.

Is it a DD?NO, BUT WILL TAKE LONG TRIPS ON IT AT TIMES
Weekend toy? YES, MORE OR LESS.

How much track time and street time does it see? Street 2-3 day out the week for fun, track, maybe once a month if that.

What is your budget for your heads? Im tight on cash right now, dont know what they run, but im having the car painted and adding stripes, so the labor for it all is a lil high with mods included.
Thats why i went with shorty headers, so i wouldnt modify the xhst at this time. I hollowed out the cats to compensate for not having LT's and a SLP lid with KNN filter. already has FLMSTR 80 series... But No, they havent been installed.

Does this help a lil more to our search for answers???,,,

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 05-29-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
What rwhp are you shooting for? 380 TO 400 RANGE

What et are you shooting for? LOW 12'S

Do you care how much the cam lopes at Idle? NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS, BUT IF IT SOUNDS MEAN, EVEN BETTER.

Is it a DD?NO, BUT WILL TAKE LONG TRIPS ON IT AT TIMES

Weekend toy? YES, MORE OR LESS.

How much track time and street time does it see? Street 2-3 day out the week for fun, track, maybe once a month if that.

What is your budget for your heads? Im tight on cash right now, dont know what they run, but im having the car painted with stripes, so the labor for it all is a lil high with mods included.
Thats why i went with shorty headers, so i wouldnt modify the xhst at this time. I hollowed out the cats to compensate for not having LT's and a SLP lid with KNN filter. already has FLMSTR 80 series...

Does this help a lil more to our search for answers???,,,
First, you want a different cam.

I would recommend a 228r like I expected. On Texas-speed.com they have a cam package you can buy.. it comes with the needed springs and push rods. Iirc its around 650-700$.
You need a timing chain, an ls2 will be fine you don't need a double roller.
You need an oil pump.. a regular ls6 oil pump will be plenty or if you are seriously right and have under 50k miles you might consider not replacing it.. I highly recommend it however.

With that cam, or any cam worth anything!!!! you have to have a converter, period. I would call ptc and order their 450$ converter. That with a nice trans cooler shipped to you is under 550$.. I would get a 3600 for your setup.

Of course you need to get oils to put back in the car etc... then a tune.. if short on money I recommend getting frost, a sponsor on here, to do a mail order tune.

You can call Texas speed and ptc both on the phone, they are very helpful and very friendly. I would also get a cutout for your exhaust.. a manual cutout is around 30$ from legs or summit and is about 20$ to have someone weld it up.. it is a nice performance gain though.

Have you already ordered/bought the shorty headers?

If you dont have the money to get a converter now so you can get a cam more suited for what you want then wait.. if you go with your initial plan because of that and then ride in a 3600 converter car and a 228 cam, you will absolutely hate yourself for not waiting, I promise.

Do you have a set $ number that you have to spend on performance parts?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

With that cam and stock converter you won't touch 11s, probably not even mid 12s.

With a 228r and a 3600ptc converter, you will be in the 11s easy.

** posting from phone so excuse grammar/punctuation/etc..
Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=lemons12;14974869]First, you want a different cam.

I would recommend a 228r like I expected. On Texas-speed.com they have a cam package you can buy.. it comes with the needed springs and push rods. Iirc its around 650-700$.
You need an oil pump.. a regular ls6 oil pump will be plenty or if you are seriously right and have under 50k miles you might consider not replacing it.. I highly recommend it however.

With that cam, or any cam worth anything!!!! you have to have a converter, period. I would call ptc and order their 450$ converter. That with a nice trans cooler shipped to you is under 550$.. I would get a 3600 for your setup.

Of course you need to get oils to put back in the car etc... then a tune.. if short on money I recommend getting frost, a sponsor on here, to do a mail order tune.

You can call Texas speed and ptc both on the phone, they are very helpful and very friendly. I would also get a cutout for your exhaust.. a manual cutout is around 30$ from legs or summit and is about 20$ to have someone weld it up.. it is a nice performance gain though.

If you dont have the money to get a converter now so you can get a cam more suited for what you want then wait.. if you go with your initial plan because of that and then ride in a 3600 converter car and a 228 cam, you will absolutely hate yourself for not waiting, I promise.

Do you have a set $ number that you have to spend on performance parts

What is a Ls2 Oil pump? from a stock ls2 engine? Yes I already Bought the Shorty's but have not installed, Hollowed cats to help shorty's.

Money wise... I have 1 out of 4 paychecks a month, that i can do whatever i want with it. It's around 1400 to 1700 depending on commisions... Can i have that cam and later do the stall?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A;14974911]
First, you want a different cam.

Do you have a set $ number that you have to spend on performance parts

What is a Ls2 Oil pump? from a stock ls2 engine? Yes I already Bought the Shorty's but have not installed, Hollowed cats to help shorty's.

Money wise... I have 1 out of 4 paychecks a month, that i can do whatever i want with it. It's around 1400 to 1700 depending on commisions... Can i have that cam and later do the stall?
Wow, you have plenty to do a nice cam only swap.

If you don't have the money right now to do the converter, buy everything you need for the cam swap and next month buy the converter.
You can't run that cam and a stock converter, you will despise your car and it will run like ***. A larger coverter is the best mod you can do for autos, period.

You need to buy an ls2 timing chain and ls6 oil pump.
I'm doing this from my phone so you owe me! Haha
Here...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=620&catid=53
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=215&catid=55
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=85&catid=36

Call these guys tell them you want the 450$ converter 3600 and what its going in with what mods.. and you will want a trans cooler.. its around 525-550$ shipped for it all.
http://www.ptcrace.com/

It might take you an extra 1-2 months to get everything but I promise it will be a COMPLETELY different car and built the correct way.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

This Is for long tubes that fit very nice as well as a ypipe.. add a cutout for 50$ and you have an extremely free flowing exhaust able to support 500rwhp or so.

You will need the extensions, or buy vette o2s from local parts store.. you will need some tr55 plugs when you do everything anyway.. reuse your stock header gaskets regardless of what your decision is.. if you don't have emissions to worry about get the race style with no egr provisions.

425$ for an exhaust that is going to pick you up around 30rwhp or so.. well worth it. I'm going to guess you spent around 300 on the shorty headers. Another 125$ isn't much when you sit back and look at it.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=lemons12;14974982]

Wow, you have plenty to do a nice cam only swap.

If you don't have the money right now to do the converter, buy everything you need for the cam swap and next month buy the converter.
You can't run that cam and a stock converter, you will despise your car and it will run like ***. A larger coverter is the best mod you can do for autos, period.

You need to buy an ls2 timing chain and ls6 oil pump.
I'm doing this from my phone so you owe me! Haha
Here...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=620&catid=53
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=215&catid=55
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=85&catid=36

Call these guys tell them you want the 450$ converter 3600 and what its going in with what mods.. and you will want a trans cooler.. its around 525-550$ shipped for it all.
http://www.ptcrace.com/

It might take you an extra 1-2 months to get everything but I promise it will be a COMPLETELY different car and built the correct way.

Thank you so much, And yes i Owe you big time... Great links and Advice!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get rid of what you got and save up to do it right. You will save money in the long run because your paying for labor once not twice. 1 pay check will buy the cam kit, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, and trunion upgrade. Next pay check headers, y pipe, trans cooler, flexplate and stall. Then it's install and tune and *** kicking time. Really when you think about it it's not that long to wait. You will be MUCH happier and alot more satisfied with the results. I wouldn't even try to run a cam with a stock stall.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Headers and y-pipe $589.50
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=181&catid=8

Trunion upgrade $139.99
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...=1167&catid=52

Upgraded flywheel $119.99
http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000836

So you got roughly $1400 with lemons and $800 with me. That is doing it right and fixing any weak links. $2200 roughly and you got a bad *** car. Start saving for a trans and rear when you get this done. Save up and order this at once and I bet tsp would give you a deal on everything. Oh, I would throw some new lifters in just to be safe, thats $140.
Lifters
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=690&catid=50
Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

My Friend Came by in his Cobra he got a few days ago, and we took it out to the track.
I checked it out, and he has LT's, full exhst, Claims it has bigger injectors, pully swap and Diablo tunner.

Well He did horrible at the track, started with 14.6, 14.1, and finally 13.5, with a 2.5 60ft.
When on the highway, the way you got sucked into the seat was awesome, and could truely tell what kind of power he really had.
What should be the Est HP on his car with those mods?

Anyway, he's the one who i had set my goal to beat at the track, looks like i wont be having that problem, not bcz the car, but from a SH**Ty Driver! he's had a Speed6, cobalt ss and other ricers in the past, but nothing like this. Maybe he needs more practice, Idk... I ran a mid 13 aswell, completely stock but the Flwmstrs Muffler... After my mods, he is going to have a very hard time keeping up. Maybe at a roll.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a new converter that cam will show little improvement at the track. It will more than likely just bog at launch and tick you off.

I put a 221/221 cam with a stock converter and had it all tuned and I gained nothing at the track other than frown from bogging. Of course it showed more hp on the dyno.

After I added a soft hit 3500 stall it went from 13.2 @ 105 to 12.5 @ 110.

Get a new stall and some cutouts.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Friend Came by in his Cobra he got a few days ago, and we took it out to the track.
I checked it out, and he has LT's, full exhst, Claims it has bigger injectors, pully swap and Diablo tunner.

Well He did horrible at the track, started with 14.6, 14.1, and finally 13.5, with a 2.5 60ft.
When on the highway, the way you got sucked into the seat was awesome, and could truely tell what kind of power he really had.

Anyway, he's the one who i had set my goal to beat at the track, looks like i wont be having that problem, not bcz the car, but from a SH**Ty Driver! he's had a Speed6, cobalt ss and other ricers in the past, but nothing like this. Maybe he needs more practice, Idk... I ran a mid 13 aswell, completely stock but the Flwmstrs Muffler... After my mods, he is going to have a very hard time keeping up. Maybe at a roll.
He needs to get rid of that IRS And needs to learn how to drive it a little better
Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you need to stop worrying about the horsepower number. the only thing that the number gives you is a bragging tool. like every1 else has said, throw a 3600 stall at your car with a good set of tires and you'll almost immediately have a 12 second car. if you're on a budget heres an exhaust for you
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=182&catid=8
$480 dollars, or you can buy just the headers for cheap and run a dumped exhaust. almost any shop can fab one up for you for cheap if you dump it. and then do a baby cam since you don't have the supporting mods to throw a huge cam in there, TSP, Eps, etc all have great cams and they all have great customer support. if you are 100% on doing the cam, do the cam and headers at the same time that way when you tune the car you won't have to keep going back to get a re-tune.

the horsepower number means nothing, especially in an auto since auto's dyno lower to start. i'm running a 2800 stall (regret going small), but it really woke my car up.

oh and for $370, you can get the painted longtubes with an off road y.

goodluck with whatever your decision ends up being, but you have a surprisingly large budget to work with if you use it wisely.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like your buddy needs a "Driver Mod"

A 14. anything with even a stock cobra is just embarrassing
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

if the cobra is rock stock and/or you get a bad driver, your intended mods should make for a good race.

if the car you're racing has as much as a cai setup on it, you wll lose. that is a very poor setup, and the fact you've got a stock stalled a4 puts the nail in the coffin. do some research before buying parts, do not rely on summit, jegs, comp or any of the big name vendors to help you. get the lsx specific guys (on the right of the page) to help you.

you're prob looking at a 112 car at best with your intended setup. i've seen stock cobras trap that with mediocre drivers.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

S346k, read the thread. A cobra would need a blower swap to run with his intended mods.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

S346k, read the thread. A cobra would need a blower swap to run with his intended mods.
all the other info you gave was very good, but this is not true

me personally, along with many others i know are running stock blower running low-mid 11's and trapping 120+mph. ported stock blower cars are trapping 125+ and dynoing 550ish whp
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

lemons, get off the interwebz, go to some tracks and race some cobras.

you're also assuming his ta will run to its full potential. really, how often does that happen? this guy doesn't know too awful much about these cars, don't expect him to get every last hp out of his original intended setup.

blower swaps on these cars can easily add 10 mph...get out and race some. i've had plenty of races with stock cobras. i know what they're capable of.

Quick Reply: To Beat an 03-04 Cobra...