Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

To Beat an 03-04 Cobra...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full bolt ons cam only...385ish rwhp. Add a 100-150 shot on it. That is 485-525rwhp and well over 500rwtq.. Takes a cobra a solid 70 more rwhp to out run an fbody.

I would say he has a stock blower car covered pretty easily.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s346k
lemons, get off the interwebz, go to some tracks and race some cobras.

you're also assuming his ta will run to its full potential. really, how often does that happen? this guy doesn't know too awful much about these cars, don't expect him to get every last hp out of his original intended setup.

blower swaps on these cars can easily add 10 mph...get out and race some. i've had plenty of races with stock cobras. i know what they're capable of.
One of my best friends had a cobra. Sarted with just a pulley at 455rwhp and now has a Whipple making north of 650rwhp. We raced then, with the new tune when he got it ported, on the street, at the track, etc etc..

The op has listened to everything I have said so far, why would his setup not run to near full potential? He is being very smart about it.

I have walked cobras and been walked by them as well, I know what they are capable of, seems as if a bit better than you do.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll take a stock one, but like everyone has already said good luck finding a stockish termi.

Lemons12 is a big help and is correct, you'll love a stall and cam that is setup properly. However, there are some rare circumstances where you can run without a higher stalled tc. Like in my case for example, I really intended on keeping my car light bolt-ons only for my dd. Then I ended up having to dive into the internals to replace a few lifters that were going south. Once I had everything apart, my buddy/mechanic and I decided to make a quick decision to not only replace all lifters, but we threw a small comp xr265hr 114 cam (212/218- .522/.529-114 aka pee_wee) plus retainers, pushrods, timing chain etc etc. I was really worried about whether I could pull this off, as my car still had stock manifolds and stall. But, I did my research and figured this cam would *work* with my existing setup, until I was ready for my ptc and built 60le. Well as it turned out, this cam not only worked, but it worked great! It pulls way harder than stock, and it doesn't fall on it's face or bog off the line whatsoever. As the rpms climb, it just gets better right on up to the stock rev limiter. There was no real need to tune, but I did anyways to get the idle just right etc., and now it sounds nearly stock, with just a tad more lope .

I honestly thought I'd have to do lts and stall right away, but I didn't. So now I'm taking my time and "growing into" what I have. When I decide to do the transmission, I'm doing the stall/cooler and 12 bolt at the same time. Headers I haven't decided yet, I am aware of the performance gains with lts, but to me I just really don't feel like doing them anymore. I want some peace and quiet dammit lol. I actually like how the manifolds sound with the custom 3inch y pipe and dual/dual I already have a lot, and this is comparing to what I've heard of course. I'm really wanting a nice, quiet, strong street car since I don't hit the track. Even though I know they can be great when installed correctly, I am done with the chance of raspy, loud, banging, polys, low clearance and any of that . I'll take the horsepower loss and make up for it elsewhere, like in less headaches (I know some have had no issues with their lts, and that's great! ). Believe it or not, I like stock sounding cars more and more these days, I attract enough attention as it is lol (we don't have many T/As around here really).

But my point is that, everyone has different expectations and intentions for their rides, and there is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Ask yourself what you really use the car for, do you race often, how important is streetability and sound/loudness to you and more importantly, to you gal!!? . We all have different ideas about what we'd be willing to live with as far as daily driving our vehicles. I for one am extremely happy with my choices so far, and they have left room to build on should I feel the need. We love cruising around in our car and the cam really helps out on those on ramps, in a really noticeable and smooth kind of way. It's amazing how much your tastes change according to how much time you have to race (if you're even willing to risk it street racing), and how much money you care to put in every so often. There are ways to make a setup tailored to what you like, and then there are ways to make your car faster period. If fast is what you like most, than that's what you aim for. Lemons12 has you coverned there .

Knowing what I know now though, would I have paid for my setup had I not needed some new lifters? Nope! If I was going into the engine soley for the purpose of swapping cams, I'd make it count. Probably about 224/224 .575/.575 114 or so, and if I were going to do that I'd want to have all my bolt-ons in place first along with a 3600 stall/cooler/ (and maybe built trans w/trans go). That small cam would still help your car out (one step down in size from mine I believe) but nowhere near enough to justify the work alone (even if you're doing it yourself). Just get an 02-04 ls6 cam with appropriate pushrods if you're going to do that small of a cam imo. Still barely worth it though.

Anyways, have fun! It's pretty cool seeing and feeling how your car reacts to mods that you yourself picked out. Just continue using this site to educate yourself before wasting money on bellows, mafs, stats, chips/resisters, and tornados!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the words odd.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibanez7
259/265 is not a mild cam, with small lift?

check the specs again..

mild LS1 cams are usually 224/224 with 580/580 lift...

to answer your questions, a decent cammed LS1 can beat a stock 03-04 cobra without issue.

it will be a drivers race, and traction race, unless its from a roll.
as mentioned above, a pulley swap and tune on a cobra makes it a new car in the HP dept
The cam is probably not advertised at .50 degrees of lift as you are inferring.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
The op has listened to everything I have said so far, why would his setup not run to near full potential? He is being very smart about it.
consider this: how many cars are on this site? now how many of them run to their potential? a car running what it should is a minority.

indy has a huge ls1 following and has for years. i was the first guy around here to have a bolt-on car going mid 7s in the 1/8 at full weight on stock wheels etc. i beat cammed cars, i beat h/c cars. was it tuning? was it the combo? who knows, i was accused of running n2o so much i couldn't get a race with someone i didn't know. i beat 370 6.0s, i beat 402 strokers etc etc. it is pathetic what 80% of the modded cars run.

not saying his won't run what it should, i'm just saying the odds are not in his favor and those few mods will make a driver's race with a car at its peak.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

If he buys the parts we have discussed... As long as his WOT tune is decent (not hard to accomplish) and his car is in the correct mechanical condition, there is no reason it shouldn't.

Thrown together setups don't run what they should, thought out setups do. Of course track prep and weather/DA will play a roll in this.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
Thrown together setups don't run what they should, thought out setups do. Of course track prep and weather/DA will play a roll in this.
this is true. i guess it simply comes down to the fact that i have very little faith in the guys modding these cars anymore haha.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

95% of guys modding do very little to no research and take others word. Or try to copy a nice setup with budget parts. Something as simple as if I want a 90 or 92 tb gets a ton of thought put into it.

A little money and a little research go a long way. An extra 500 on afr205s is well spend over prc stg1, custom grind over off the shelf, name brand converter over cheap, etc etc.

Quick Reply: To Beat an 03-04 Cobra...