Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

what RWHP numbers did you pull with your LS1 383 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
Good luck, any test results yet ?
Thanks man, not yet im having trouble trying to screw in the pressure tester, there is no space!! Im going to give it a shot again and go under the car after work hopefully tomorrow i will let you know asap!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try to take the coils off the rocker covers to give you a little more room.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

You can try to take the coils off the rocker covers to give you a little more room.
Thanks ima try that
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by LSXFEIN
Smokes quite a bit
this is a symptom of the problem for sure. shouldn't be smoking like that regardless
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99fbodyTA
this is a symptom of the problem for sure. shouldn't be smoking like that regardless
Exactly what i was thinking
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

how about you just pull the plugs and read them? see if they have too much oil, if they are rich with fuel? i did this recently and came to found cylinder 7 was gone to ****. pulled the plug and it was full of oil, pulled the head and it was full of oil in cylinder. ring had gone to ***** on me. good luck finding the problem, hope it isn't major.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your cam is too small. You need to be closer to the .600 lift zone.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sinistersilverado
how about you just pull the plugs and read them? see if they have too much oil, if they are rich with fuel? i did this recently and came to found cylinder 7 was gone to ****. pulled the plug and it was full of oil, pulled the head and it was full of oil in cylinder. ring had gone to ***** on me. good luck finding the problem, hope it isn't major.
Thanks brotha well when i pull the plugs the threads usually have the oil! And the plugs are dry ?

Originally Posted by 2KSS
Your cam is too small. You need to be closer to the .600 lift zone.
Yessir

Well i did the pressure test fellas i disconnected the fuel spark and had it wot every cylinder and its pressure for all cylinders where around 180 the engine has 10:5 compression so im assuming thats a good range....it all boils down to a leak down test!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

What did your spark plugs look like when you pulled them ?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Launching!

They where pretty ashy they looked like they had build up they had oil on the threads? Ill post a pic when i get off of work!

They where pretty ashy they looked like they had build up they had oil on the threads? Ill post a pic when i get off of work!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Teching In

how fast does your engine spin?
your LSA is huge for a hot rod.
i might also recommend less duration till you get aftermarket heads.

EDIT: your plugs look like there is water or something on them possibly too hot a heat range as well
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by eggnore
how fast does your engine spin?
your LSA is huge for a hot rod.
i might also recommend less duration till you get aftermarket heads.

EDIT: your plugs look like there is water or something on them possibly too hot a heat range as well
yeah i wouldnt doubt it man that cam is huge its a custom build from Schneider Racing and as far as spining in high rpm its great but if your at a light and want to just cruise it itll bog and almost stall, so at a light i have to give a lil rev to get off a step easily lol yeah so went over board i really wanted an agressive sound..
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, do all of them look like that ? Leak down test yet ? have you noticed any coolant loss ?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Default not yet :(

Wow, do all of them look like that ? Leak down test yet ? have you noticed any coolant loss ?
Yes they all look like that....pretty crappy..and as for coolant loss i have not notice any i check it everyday..im hopefully going to do the leak down test this weekend hopefully!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Looks lk detonation? Look into the tune, how many years has ur tuner been tuning? Also ur lift is way too low. I have cam/heads on my caddy and pushing 444 rwhp on stock cubes. Change cam out, look into tune and u should pick up a bit. Before any of that do a leak down test. Hell drain ur radiator and see wat it looks lk. How hot is ur car getting?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sinistersilverado
Looks lk detonation? Look into the tune, how many years has ur tuner been tuning? Also ur lift is way too low. I have cam/heads on my caddy and pushing 444 rwhp on stock cubes. Change cam out, look into tune and u should pick up a bit. Before any of that do a leak down test. Hell drain ur radiator and see wat it looks lk. How hot is ur car getting?
Right on brotha thanks for the info! The guy has been tuning for a very long time all GM. Yes i am hopefully going to do a leak down test this weekend! The car runs at 160 all day.. but burns alot of oil....so yeah it probably is the big *** cam no good ill let you know how the leak down goes. Thanks again
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

is this a daily driver or a saturday night special?
i would get a cam that has about 225-230 duration at .50
you can get a little more lift with that smaller cam.
also next cam try to get a lobe separation angle around 110
the cam you have now is suited for a car that spins around 7000RPM or more, considering your listed mods
if you just upgrade your valve train i guarantee youll pick up.
also how many mile are on your engine/ who built it?
im not good at judging plugs but im pretty sure your gaskets are leaking water.
what kind of plugs do you have and what are their heat range?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eggnore
is this a daily driver or a saturday night special?
i would get a cam that has about 225-230 duration at .50
you can get a little more lift with that smaller cam.
also next cam try to get a lobe separation angle around 110
the cam you have now is suited for a car that spins around 7000RPM or more, considering your listed mods
if you just upgrade your valve train i guarantee youll pick up.
also how many mile are on your engine/ who built it?
im not good at judging plugs but im pretty sure your gaskets are leaking water.
what kind of plugs do you have and what are their heat range?
Exactly this set up is ment for high rpm and yes thats whats on the todo list im going to get new heads and a better fuel sysem stock one aint cuttin it no more when i get the heads. Still debating on what heads i should get though.So the engine only has about 30000 miles on it. For the spark plugs they are NGK TR6 heat range of 6 with only about 5000 miles on them lol. The shop who built my motor was excelsior motorsport really nice shop.

hey fellas sorry for the wait been working alot im still trying to get a leak down tester tool hopefully this weekend ill let you know thanks!

Exactly this set up is ment for high rpm and yes thats whats on the todo list im going to get new heads and a better fuel sysem stock one aint cuttin it no more when i get the heads. Still debating on what heads i should get though.So the engine only has about 30000 miles on it. For the spark plugs they are NGK TR6 heat range of 6 with only about 5000 miles on them lol. The shop who built my motor was excelsior motorsport really nice shop.
they are tr5s with gapped at .42 ive been doing alot of research and for one you guys where right about the cam it kinda sucks and it is also running very rich! and as far as the oil consumption im thinking may since they are stock ported heads, the people that did them probably didnt put and loctite or any sealer..on the rocker bolts... any suggestions? im thinking of pulling off the valve covers at the moment..thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM

I dont have a whole lot of experience with ls1 motors but i do have alot of motorcycle 2 and 4 stroke troubleshooting experience and i can read plugs well, that really looks like detonation, do you still have your egr hooked up, common causes for detonation are a faulty EGR valve, lean air/fuel mixtures, ignition timing advanced too far, and insufficient octane rating of the gasoline. Curious to see what this turns out to be
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they are tr5s with gapped at .42 ive been doing alot of research and for one you guys where right about the cam it kinda sucks and it is also running very rich! and as far as the oil consumption im thinking may since they are stock ported heads, the people that did them probably didnt put and loctite or any sealer..on the rocker bolts... any suggestions? im thinking of pulling off the valve covers at the moment..thanks for the help
Too hot of a plug.. get NGK TR6 part #4177.. gap them at .040-.050. Replace asap.

The leakdown test will tell you where your smoking problem is coming from so you'd better get that done soon too. Also, what color is the smoke? We need to know to determine what's getting burned up and I see no one asked that previously.

Last edited by djfury05; 04-20-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: what RWHP numbers did you pull with your LS1 383 stroker?