Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

what RWHP numbers did you pull with your LS1 383 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
Too hot of a plug.. get NGK TR6 part #4177.. gap them at .040-.050. Replace asap.

The leakdown test will tell you where your smoking problem is coming from so you'd better get that done soon too. Also, what color is the smoke? We need to know to determine what's getting burned up and I see no one asked that previously.
Right on man thanks ima get those tomorrow but the smoke is blue (oil) but when i punch it a cloud of black smoke shoots out(Rich) so yeah has to be the tune but im going to check those rocker holes tonight!

Originally Posted by Streetsteve
I dont have a whole lot of experience with ls1 motors but i do have alot of motorcycle 2 and 4 stroke troubleshooting experience and i can read plugs well, that really looks like detonation, do you still have your egr hooked up, common causes for detonation are a faulty EGR valve, lean air/fuel mixtures, ignition timing advanced too far, and insufficient octane rating of the gasoline. Curious to see what this turns out to be
Yeah man im pretty sure its the tune...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXFEIN
they are tr5s with gapped at .42 ive been doing alot of research and for one you guys where right about the cam it kinda sucks and it is also running very rich! and as far as the oil consumption im thinking may since they are stock ported heads, the people that did them probably didnt put and loctite or any sealer..on the rocker bolts... any suggestions? im thinking of pulling off the valve covers at the moment..thanks for the help
No sealer on the rocker bolts is a good possibility for the oil consumption. Looking at the spark plug it has a lot of buildup, which usually =oil getting in the cylinders & since youre getting smoke from the exhaust which only makes sense as your having to add oil all the time but it could be from valve seals as well. That plug has oil all over it! If it is the valve seals it wont show up on a cyl leakdown test. Like everyone else said you need more lift & a lil less duration on that cam for that 383 to run good.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
No sealer on the rocker bolts is a good possibility for the oil consumption. Looking at the spark plug it has a lot of buildup, which usually =oil getting in the cylinders & since youre getting smoke from the exhaust which only makes sense as your having to add oil all the time but it could be from valve seals as well. That plug has oil all over it! If it is the valve seals it wont show up on a cyl leakdown test. Like everyone else said you need more lift & a lil less duration on that cam for that 383 to run good.
Keep in mind not all heads have the intake valve rocker arm hole protruding through to the intake port of the head depending on the cnc work but that is a good idea for him to check.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Cool

Yessir agreed better cam, ima pull a rocker off today hopefully after work im hoping to see no sealer lol but will let you know the outcome thanks!!

Originally Posted by djfury05
Keep in mind not all heads have the intake valve rocker arm hole protruding through to the intake port of the head depending on the cnc work but that is a good idea for him to check.
Right on will do, what does cnc stand for?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Right on brotha thanks for the info! The guy has been tuning for a very long time all GM. Yes i am hopefully going to do a leak down test this weekend! The car runs at 160 all day.. but burns alot of oil....so yeah it probably is the big *** cam no good ill let you know how the leak down goes. Thanks again
Good luck on the engine!!! I'd suggest going back to a stock thermostat, there's a reason GM didn't put in a thermostat too low, you'll have premature wear of parts and when the engine doesn't run at correct OT this will happen everytime. All out race engines yeah I'd do it since good chance you'll be rebuilding it sooner than later but with a car you typically drive a few times a week for things other than racing it's not a wise idea
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yessir agreed better cam, ima pull a rocker off today hopefully after work im hoping to see no sealer lol but will let you know the outcome thanks!!
You wont see it pulling the rockers, pulling the intake you can see if oil is coming from the rocker bolts or if the heads were even ported that much. I said valve seals but worn valve guides could cause it too.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Good luck on the engine!!! I'd suggest going back to a stock thermostat, there's a reason GM didn't put in a thermostat too low, you'll have premature wear of parts and when the engine doesn't run at correct OT this will happen everytime. All out race engines yeah I'd do it since good chance you'll be rebuilding it sooner than later but with a car you typically drive a few times a week for things other than racing it's not a wise idea
Thanks man ima keep that in mind!!

You wont see it pulling the rockers, pulling the intake you can see if oil is coming from the rocker bolts or if the heads were even ported that much. I said valve seals but worn valve guides could cause it too.
Oh ok ima take off the manifold then thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a leak down test done before you start to tare **** apart. That will eliminate alot of questions. Also do you run a catch can on your PCV system ?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conan
Get a leak down test done before you start to tare **** apart. That will eliminate alot of questions. Also do you run a catch can on your PCV system ?
sorry Conan was working but i took off the manifold and found oil behind the valves......

intake side ouch!

Im gonna call valve seals
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

How much oil do you have in the intake manifold ? If you have a bunch I would do a catch can setup on the pcv and get those valve seals replaced.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Exclamation yessir

How much oil do you have in the intake manifold ? If you have a bunch I would do a catch can setup on the pcv and get those valve seals replaced.
Yeah deffinently gonna get a catch can and a ls6 valley cover, yes in the intake manifold has oil inside...what kind of catch can do you recommend?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's some reading material for you...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Tons of setups to choose from. Mine is home made and will not work like you would want on a N/A motor.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Unhappy

Here's some reading material for you...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Tons of setups to choose from. Mine is home made and will not work like you would want on a N/A motor.
thanks for the info brother

alot of people are claiming its my rings then others say valve seals, then i thought maybe since the heads where ported is was the rocker screw holes but when i look inside the port the people that ported the head didnt port the area of where the screw sits therefore no need to worry about that even though i was hoping it was that so now im left with having to take the motor apart

heres my smoking problem
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

It looks like the entire intake port is wet with oil... Coming from the intake. Was there alot of oil in the intake or just a little ? Could you dump oil out of your intake ?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Launching!

It looks like the entire intake port is wet with oil... Coming from the intake. Was there alot of oil in the intake or just a little ? Could you dump oil out of your intake ?
There is oil in there but not to the point where it would drizzle out thank fully
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Launching!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Launching!

does anyone know where i can get torque specs for arp head studs?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Arp????? I'd give them a call and ask em
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Arp????? I'd give them a call and ask em
ok will do thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Launching!

what cam would you guys suggest i get with my set up?

Quick Reply: what RWHP numbers did you pull with your LS1 383 stroker?