Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Do you think I stand a chance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think I stand a chance?

My friend who bought a beat up 5.0 88 mustang GT Convertible which sounds stock and looks stock except for a CAI and perhaps flowmasters thinks he can beat my 1964 Impala with an LS1 from a 1999 Corvette and a 4l60e transmission from a 2001 Camaro. I'll only really have a CAI, true duals and flow masters as well as PS/AC delete so I'm not much better off than stock. Do I stand a chance? He's got about 600/700 pounds on me I'm sure unless I convince him to ride with someone else and more modern suspension.
I say "I'll" mostly because the car isn't actually done yet.
And he has a 5 speed which he isn't all that great at shifting as I've heard.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt very seriously he has 700lbs advantage on you. You should beat him fairly easily. Be careful tho he could have more mods or be hiding a shot.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weights of 1964 Imapalas right here. With the LS1 you most likely lost a little weight over any of the standard engines it came with. It looks like he'll have a 500lbs advantage AT MOST...more than likely about 300lbs. I think the 100+hp difference will take care of that.

http://www.oldride.com/library/1964_...et_impala.html

Let's just say you'll have a much better chance of beating him than the 49ers had of beating the Ravens in the last Super Bowl...no matter how much trash he may or may not talk.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
I doubt very seriously he has 700lbs advantage on you. You should beat him fairly easily. Be careful tho he could have more mods or be hiding a shot.
I highly doubt it, he picked it up for about 800 from a towyard and he's not very good with money so even if it did hide shot he probably wouldn't be able to afford buying more. Thanks for the answer, would I have him from the start (not sure since his suspension is about 20 years more modern than mine) or after the higher rpms?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traction will be the bigger factor
Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by justin455
Let's just say you'll have a much better chance of beating him than the 49ers had of beating the Ravens in the last Super Bowl...no matter how much trash he may or may not talk.
I deserved that.

Originally Posted by MrBR
I highly doubt it, he picked it up for about 800 from a towyard and he's not very good with money so even if it did hide shot he probably wouldn't be able to afford buying more. Thanks for the answer, would I have him from the start (not sure since his suspension is about 20 years more modern than mine) or after the higher rpms?
A CAI/Flowmaster exhaust 5.0 GT convertible is a high 14/low 15 second car. If you hook you'll destroy him.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

If I could hook up (perhaps by feathering it at the beginning) How fast do you think my car would be?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Launching!

If I could hook up (perhaps by feathering it at the beginning) How fast do you think my car would be?
Kind of hard to say. If I had to take a stab at it with your curb weight being similar to an F-body I'd say mid to high 13s somewhere round there.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Yes you should win easily my buddy has a 68 they run a lot better than people think because the size of the car makes it look slower than it is. They are so fun to race everyone laughs when you pull up next to them but the look on their faces when an 17 footer passes them up is priceless!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Kind of hard to say. If I had to take a stab at it with your curb weight being similar to an F-body I'd say mid to high 13s somewhere round there.
Wow, high 13 seconds, even low 14 seconds would be impressive for me, especially considering I've usually driven full size cars. This swap hasn't even been completed though so I won't get the chance to test drive it. Currently the LS1/4l60e/ecu/wiring is currently stuck at a semi local hub for the past week and its pretty annoying.(Took 3 weeks + to actually get it in a crate for gods sakes)! I'm hoping with this swap my drivability issues will be gone and I won't have to face any serious electrical gremlins.

Think my BFGOODRICH Advantage TAs are up for the challenge or should I have gone with summer tires? I live in California (not in the mountains) and don't leave it very much if that makes a difference.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Wow, high 13 seconds, even low 14 seconds would be impressive for me, especially considering I've usually driven full size cars. This swap hasn't even been completed though so I won't get the chance to test drive it. Currently the LS1/4l60e/ecu/wiring is currently stuck at a semi local hub for the past week and its pretty annoying.(Took 3 weeks + to actually get it in a crate for gods sakes)! I'm hoping with this swap my drivability issues will be gone and I won't have to face any serious electrical gremlins.

Think my BFGOODRICH Advantage TAs are up for the challenge or should I have gone with summer tires? I live in California (not in the mountains) and don't leave it very much if that makes a difference.
You're going to love the LS1 especially coming from a SBC. lol Pretty sweet to have one in a '64 Impalla, I don't think I've ever seen that swap before. What part of Cali you from? Going by your Avatar it looks like SoCal. I'm up north in the Sacramento.

If you really like street racing or just racing in general you should come join us over in the Street Racing & Kill Stories section. Lots of fun stuff over there.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

You're going to love the LS1 especially coming from a SBC. lol Pretty sweet to have one in a '64 Impalla, I don't think I've ever seen that swap before. What part of Cali you from? Going by your Avatar it looks like SoCal. I'm up north in the Sacramento.

If you really like street racing or just racing in general you should come join us over in the Street Racing & Kill Stories section. Lots of fun stuff over there.
Nahh, NorCal, up in the Bay Area, I'll be sure to post about my victories if I find a worthy opponent (perhaps a few SUVs and minivans, and a civic or two).
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will spank him
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really shouldn't have a problem.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd put favor on you even if it was an LT1 instead of an LS1.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Launching!

nice! i love impalas! i used to have a 64 supersport and a 94 as well. the 64 might be a full size car but don't weigh much more than a chevelle or fbody which is why they were killing the galaxies and other full sized cars back in the day. sounds like you really should win no problem, really shouldn't even be close! where in the bay are u from.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Did you get the impala on the road yet? Would love to see a vid of you smokin that GT!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS2GS
Did you get the impala on the road yet? Would love to see a vid of you smokin that GT!
Nope, but I'm getting there:
I'm just waiting for them to tell me it's ready. I'm really curious to see how it drives, before I could only induce a little wheelspin with a warmed over stock 350 with a cam, I wonder what this pup will do.
As for racing him, the genius blew his 5 speed because he can't drive manual worth a ****. So he's been off the road for a month now.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Should be a good race. My 1989 coupe with 4.10's UD pulleys, shorty headers and h-pipe ran 13.50's @ 103 at Sacramento Raceway

While my 64 Impala with Edelbrock RPM heads, cam and intake ran 13.50's @ 104 at Famoso Raceway

Sorry about the bad video quality.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Nice!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Do you think I stand a chance?