Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Took the ls3 vette vert to the 1/4 mile.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 04:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Took the ls3 vette vert to the 1/4 mile.

Stock-Headers, x-pipe, SLP loudmouth. 08 C-6 A-6 vert. What did it run in the 1/4 mile.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy496
stock-headers, x-pipe, slp loudmouth. 08 c-6 a-6 vert. What did it run in the 1/4 mile.
12.4@116
Old 03-23-2018, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

I will add the track's DA(Desoto)was a -400. lol.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Well if your car ran anything like my m6 I’d hope 11.0@125
Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

My friends vette over the weekend went 11.0 stock with stock manifolds, EWP, light clutch and gear, so based on that I'll say you ran 11.4

Edit -- treed hard corn
Old 04-05-2018, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

No converter. 1.9 60ft only. but look at the mph. Theres low 11's-10's in this convertible with a stall.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
With a 125mph you should be in the mid 10's Only thing I did was headers really. Self tune on the shift speeds so they hit hard in sport mode a $70 air box. The slp pipes are 2.5 dia. I'll be going to the 3" Z06 npp bi-mode out back. Just minor boltons. Stock 2:56's, cam, valve train, intake and heads. The long block is untouched. Very stock-ish. 30mpg on the highway in 6th. 190 mph?

Last edited by handyandy496; 04-05-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fascinated by members who have High ET's, along with High MPHs, an belief that high MPHs means their engine has potential for lower ET's due MPH. Me I'd rather have the low ET, vs High MPH.

I've been looking at 11's club members Time Slips last 2 yr's, and found Low ET cars have lower MPH in most cases than mine.

I have one of those Higher MPH, Higher 11's builds. When I back into Engine RPM's for the MPH, I find in my case engine has pulled back in 4th gear to about/same RPMs as that of GM's peak HP RPMs for engine. Note: Also want to note I was unaware I needed to stay in throttle 60 Ft after Finish Line to get proper MPH reading. I let of throttle and start braking.

Seem like the high MPH, is more of a make you feel good thing because of High ET.

Now my car Traps in 4th gear, but due to trans used 4th is not 1:1. It shift's into 4th right at or just after 1/8 mi. Rear gear is 3.50, tire dia is 28.3", converter stall is slightly higher than stock, with very efficient STR due to having ability to be Paddle shifted. Due to trans gearing there is minimal RPM lost between gear shifts compared to 4L6X or 4l80. Note: Tires are 300 TW street tires, that do not play into 60' time, because they aren't spinning, dead hook.

Car # 634is mine. Notice Car 638, an mine's MPH is very close, but it's ET is much lower. Yet his 1/8 mile MPH his is slower than mine by 1.32.

I don't see the correlation. He who finishes 1st with quickest ET wins, Note: Above is rare case when lowest ET matches my MPH, instead of MPH being lower.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 05-02-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Here is my latest slips poorhouse. There is still ET left due to M6 and 60'
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Talking

Here is my latest slips poorhouse. There is still ET left due to M6 and 60'
You wouldn't pull a 74 year old man's leg would you?

I look at the 2 tine slips, notice one on the left has yellowed quiet a bit compared to one on the right. It must have been laying on top of the one on the left exposed to more light. Seems unusual for latest times slips to age like that in a short period of time.

Then I looked at date on those current time slips, an it become more evident why. Date on them is 01/01/02, 16 yrs ago, so the coloration seems reasonable.

Then I looked at your signature information below. Best ET is still about the same, as well as MPH, but now on E85 which means based on it's ability to increase HP/TQ on dyno, looks like you car's ET should be lower & MPH should have increased some by now using it, based on High MPH meaning better ET's are there !

I noticed your MPH dropped a little as your ET, improved a little on slips. That appears to be normal, per my conclusion.

BOLT ONS TO THE EXTREME, A FEW INTERNAL MODS (16 1.85 ROCKERS & PSI1511 SPRINGS AND A CRANK SCRAPER) AND E85 .. BASICALLY A MAX EFFORT STOCK HEADS CAM CAR

Best ET 10.58@131.65
Best MPH 132.06
Build Thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-be-done.html

So are you pulling a fellow Corvette Forum members "Leg"?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by poorhousenext

I look at the 2 tine slips, notice one on the left has yellowed quiet a bit compared to one on the right. It must have been laying on top of the one on the left exposed to more light. Seems unusual for latest times slips to age like that in a short period of time.

Then I looked at date on those current time slips, an it become more evident why. Date on them is 01/01/02, 16 yrs ago, so the coloration seems reasonable.

Then I looked at your signature information below. Best ET is still about the same, as well as MPH, but now on E85 which means based on it's ability to increase HP/TQ on dyno, looks like you car's ET should be lower & MPH should have increased some by now using it, based on High MPH meaning better ET's are there !

I noticed your MPH dropped a little as your ET, improved a little on slips. That appears to be normal, per my conclusion.

BOLT ONS TO THE EXTREME, A FEW INTERNAL MODS (16 1.85 ROCKERS & PSI1511 SPRINGS AND A CRANK SCRAPER) AND E85 .. BASICALLY A MAX EFFORT STOCK HEADS CAM CAR

Best ET 10.58@131.65
Best MPH 132.06
Build Thread

LOL no sir this was the first passes at US 41 at the SRK track rental on 4/20/2018. They had not set the date in the system. Reason one is yellow and the other is white is they are carbon copies. These passes are legit I have them up on you tube. If you go to the 10 second forum you can watch. https://ls1tech.com/forums/10-second...ting-done.html

Last edited by lazerlemonta; 05-08-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm fascinated by members who have High ET's, along with High MPHs, an belief that high MPHs means their engine has potential for lower ET's due MPH. Me I'd rather have the low ET, vs High MPH.

I've been looking at 11's club members Time Slips last 2 yr's, and found Low ET cars have lower MPH in most cases than mine.

I have one of those Higher MPH, Higher 11's builds. When I back into Engine RPM's for the MPH, I find in my case engine has pulled back in 4th gear to about/same RPMs as that of GM's peak HP RPMs for engine. Note: Also want to note I was unaware I needed to stay in throttle 60 Ft after Finish Line to get proper MPH reading. I let of throttle and start braking.

Seem like the high MPH, is more of a make you feel good thing because of High ET.

Now my car Traps in 4th gear, but due to trans used 4th is not 1:1. It shift's into 4th right at or just after 1/8 mi. Rear gear is 3.50, tire dia is 28.3", converter stall is slightly higher than stock, with very efficient STR due to having ability to be Paddle shifted. Due to trans gearing there is minimal RPM lost between gear shifts compared to 4L6X or 4l80. Note: Tires are 300 TW street tires, that do not play into 60' time, because they aren't spinning, dead hook.

Car # 634is mine. Notice Car 638, an mine's MPH is very close, but it's ET is much lower. Yet his 1/8 mile MPH his is slower than mine by 1.32.

I don't see the correlation. He who finishes 1st with quickest ET wins, Note: Above is rare case when lowest ET matches my MPH, instead of MPH being lower.
Hello sir. I would think a higher MPH would definitely mean your engine has potential for lower ET's. Showing the power potential of the car. In drag racing this is far from all you need if your shooting for ET. As on your time slips both of your 60' were 2.0x which is poop although you can still cut an 11. If all you did was setup your car for the track, no engine work, to get your 60' down into the 1.7-1.6 range. Maybe better. This alone would cut your ET down at least .5 sec. Just guessing.

As my car is not setup for track times it bogs for a good amount of time through first gear. That alone tells me my ET is not going to be good.

No matter ET, trap speed, dyno numbers. Drive & have a good time.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Best ET 10.58@131.65
Best MPH 132.06
Build Thread

I think your BP meds are getting to you. You need to CSI those time slips.......geez.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I think your BP meds are getting to you. You need to CSI those time slips.......geez.
Don't take BP meds, but do take meds for Parkinson which is far worst than High Blood pressure....LOL

Question for you:

How do you correlate High MPH to with High ET means your engine has more power to turn lower ET?

What does it take to get lower ET with maybe lower or same high current MPH? If the engine has the potential, how do you lower car's ET, if the engine has the potential, what the problem, especially if 60' time is 1.5 or less?

Is it the car's setup that engine is bolted into?

I know how my low as installed 360 HP GM 480 HP HOT Cam engine that makes it's peak crank HP at 5800 RPM, in 3565 LB race weight car MPH is in 117.9 - 120 on 1.97 - 2.03 60', with 3.50 Rear Gear.

To help you understand why my engine's HP is so low, Mustang Dyno 360 HP. Vs Dyno Jet Dyno 409. I claim the lower number, because as y'all say the Long Black Dyno tells the truth, but now is that just about engine's power, or do other non engine things play a part in making better use of it, more so than just HP HIGH MPH can be used to judge engine power by. My car shifts into 4th gear just passed the 1/8 Mile marker. Higher gear ratio that, only takes 5750 - 5900 RPM at 1/4 marker to run in the 117-120 MPH range. Car has automatic trans with very efficient STR, so very little lost in RPM due to time it takes for trans to shift to each gear.

Tq does the work, HP is just how many Horses it takes to do that work an how long they can keep it up after TQ had peaked based on how fast the TQ drops off after it's peak.

I know an can show you why, my engine's HP/TQ is so much lower than it should be. Could I easily get it up by making to simple changes, one that is a small cost & one that is a higher cost for the potential cost of correcting it. Sure, but is it worth that little extra nothing to really brag about ET/MPH?

Why don't you start a Thread on this Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum stating you case an maybe myself an others will step in with our thoughts on subject.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't take BP meds, but do take meds for Parkinson which is far worst than High Blood pressure....LOL

Question for you:

How do you correlate High MPH to with High ET means your engine has more power to turn lower ET?

What does it take to get lower ET with maybe lower or same high current MPH? If the engine has the potential, how do you lower car's ET, if the engine has the potential, what the problem, especially if 60' time is 1.5 or less?

Is it the car's setup that engine is bolted into?

I know how my low as installed 360 HP GM 480 HP HOT Cam engine that makes it's peak crank HP at 5800 RPM, in 3565 LB race weight car MPH is in 117.9 - 120 on 1.97 - 2.03 60', with 3.50 Rear Gear.

To help you understand why my engine's HP is so low, Mustang Dyno 360 HP. Vs Dyno Jet Dyno 409. I claim the lower number, because as y'all say the Long Black Dyno tells the truth, but now is that just about engine's power, or do other non engine things play a part in making better use of it, more so than just HP HIGH MPH can be used to judge engine power by. My car shifts into 4th gear just passed the 1/8 Mile marker. Higher gear ratio that, only takes 5750 - 5900 RPM at 1/4 marker to run in the 117-120 MPH range. Car has automatic trans with very efficient STR, so very little lost in RPM due to time it takes for trans to shift to each gear.

Tq does the work, HP is just how many Horses it takes to do that work an how long they can keep it up after TQ had peaked based on how fast the TQ drops off after it's peak.

I know an can show you why, my engine's HP/TQ is so much lower than it should be. Could I easily get it up by making to simple changes, one that is a small cost & one that is a higher cost for the potential cost of correcting it. Sure, but is it worth that little extra nothing to really brag about ET/MPH?

Why don't you start a Thread on this Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum stating you case an maybe myself an others will step in with our thoughts on subject.
Good Sunday to you sir. As I'm sure you want Liljay to respond, thought I'd try to give a hand.

To your first question. Showing a high mph with a high ET, very basically put, means your car has a good power/weight but you are not accelerating from a stand still well. Or wasting time at the beginning of the run. During drag racing one of the most important things is how hard your car can accelerate from a stop. Say the first 60'. The faster & more efficient you can accelerate, as well as keeping that acceleration going, will give you the better ET. Some cars can run tens without trapping 120 or some cars trapping over 120 can barely run an eleven.

Your next question. "what does it take to get lower ET with around same current mph". Having the power is good. Most definitely not everything you need to run a good/fast ET. Say talking about your car. Which looks to perform well to me. With your auto trans a very important mod, for getting out of the hole, would be a certain stall speed torque converter. Thinking the stall in your car now is not very aggressive, or high, when you launch the engine is not able to be in a strong spot, say 4000rpm, so the car will not accelerate very hard. As your 2.0 60' times. To me a 1.5 60' is pretty darn strong for a street car. Or slow for a race car. Just another guess as if your car cut a 1.5 60' your ET may be a very low 11.

The engine is not everything especially in drag racing. You can have all the power in the world but if you cant put it to the ground fast & effective it means nothing.

Also it doesn't look like your HP numbers are that far off. A 480hp motor. Say loaded with some accessories, or not, with the loss in the drivetrain going through your auto tranny to the wheels. Say maybe 18-22% loss. Seems right on with what you've got. Don't put too much into dyno numbers as they can be skewed very easily. As time slips can also be. Just as say two exactly the same N/A cars. One on a drag strip with +4000 DA & the other on a strip with -700 DA air. The car in the +4000 DA air will be significantly slower, in ET & mph, as the engine cannot produce the same power in the less dense air.

Sorry to OP for messing your thread up. Just some thoughts to help poorhouse understand better. There's a lot more than that too. Reading time slips helps understand how a car got down the strip. The time differences between each marker, markers, speed.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

2nd time out new best 11.87 Just headers! 2:56 gears lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

I have seen all the work you put into your sleeper. You don't tell the hole story and you will never beat Hios 1.2 60ft either.lol
Any time you want to race our cars to 175 mph I'm well up for it.
Just so yall know this is not my 1/4 mile car, the 418 stroker is.

Last edited by handyandy496; 08-30-2018 at 08:58 AM.